Thetford ....Old dog new trick.....

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

I must of emptied the cassette countless times over the last 25 years........but today I discovered a new trick whilst emptying B-) ........

Usually when pouring the contents down the karzi at home, or here at the MIL's there is inevitably a bit of splash back, how ever careful I tried to be *-) ...........

But today on a whim I flushed at the same time as I hit the button.......Low and behold no splash back ;-) ........and even the pong was reduced :D ........

There are several on-line videos that contain instructions on how to empty a Thetford toilet cassette (examples below)

http://www.thevanlife.co.uk/video-how-to-empty-a-thetford-cassette-toilet/

I’m uncertain what you are doing now that avoids splashing (or were not doing before that provoked splashing).

I’ve always depressed the cassette’s vent-button just before tipping the cassette to empty the waste through the cassette’s emptying spout, and held the vent-button down until the cassette has fully emptied. Depressing the vent-button lets air into the cassette and allows the waste to drain out freely, minimising potential splashing - that’s the design purpose of the vent-button.

What have you done in the past when emptying the cassette? I find it hard to believe that for 25 years you’ve not been depressing the vent-button just prior to and during the emptying process. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2016-08-20 7:41 AM

I’ve always depressed the cassette’s vent-button just before tipping the cassette to empty the waste through the cassette’s emptying spout, and held the vent-button down until the cassette has fully emptied. Depressing the vent-button lets air into the cassette and allows the waste to drain out freely, minimising potential splashing - that’s the design purpose of the vent-button.

What have you done in the past when emptying the cassette? I find it hard to believe that for 25 years you’ve not been depressing the vent-button just prior to and during the emptying process. 8-) 8-) 8-)

So have I........But as you say it minimises potential splash back........and in my experience there's always one lump or two in there, that are not prepared to go quietly 8-) ..........

I only pulled the chain as I hit the vent button on a whim, and I have to say I was surprised how even the rim above the bowl stayed clean, plus the pong was reduced ;-) .......

One other thing the MIL's karzi is outside, and has a proper flush, not one of these modern water reducing bogs so whether that'll make a difference is yet to be discovered in my..... odyssey for the perfect flush :-> .....

I'm surprised to learn that some people take their cassettes indoors to empty them.

( Isn't there a risk that could lead to divorce ? )

I always dump mine ( when at home ) in a manhole out on the drive - which is followed up by a good hosing down inside and outside of the cassette ( and the drains ).

;-)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2016-08-20 10:55 AM

I'm surprised to learn that some people take their cassettes indoors to empty them.

( Isn't there a risk that could lead to divorce ? )

I always dump mine ( when at home ) in a manhole out on the drive - which is followed up by a good hosing down inside and outside of the cassette ( and the drains ).

;-)

At our last house we had a wet room...... so if disaster struck 8-) .........the cleaning up was easier :D .....

Here at the MIL's we use an outside toilet ;-) .......

But many campsite dump points are often just a standard toilet without a seat :-> .........

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2016-08-20 11:25 AM

pelmetman - 2016-08-20 11:06 AM

But many campsite dump points are often just a standard toilet without a seat :-> .........

I've seen a few of these - but they've never been inside someones house.

;-)

You find out who your friends really are after you've emptied in their loo >:-) .......

pelmetman - 2016-08-20 11:36 AM

malc d - 2016-08-20 11:25 AM

pelmetman - 2016-08-20 11:06 AM

I've seen a few of these - but they've never been inside someones house.

;-)

You find out who your friends really are after you've emptied in their loo >:-) .......

Or ..................

... you find out who to avoid, once they have asked to empty a cassette into your household loo.

:-|

pelmetman - 2016-08-20 9:06 AM

...I only pulled the chain as I hit the vent button on a whim, and I have to say I was surprised how even the rim above the bowl stayed clean, plus the pong was reduced ;-) .......

OK, I understand now what your hint involves.

It seems reasonable that, if a cassette is emptied into an ordinary siphonic domestic toilet bowl that is simultaneously being flushed that less splashing would result. And, if the flush-water leaving the toilet ‘round the bend’ causes a slight vacuum within the toilet bowl, that the smell might be reduced.

Seems like you’ve discovered the PSSE (Pelmetman **** Sucking Effect).

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2016-08-22 6:55 AM

pelmetman - 2016-08-20 9:06 AM

...I only pulled the chain as I hit the vent button on a whim, and I have to say I was surprised how even the rim above the bowl stayed clean, plus the pong was reduced ;-) .......

OK, I understand now what your hint involves.

It seems reasonable that, if a cassette is emptied into an ordinary siphonic domestic toilet bowl that is simultaneously being flushed that less splashing would result. And, if the flush-water leaving the toilet ‘round the bend’ causes a slight vacuum within the toilet bowl, that the smell might be reduced.

Seems like you’ve discovered the PSSE (Pelmetman **** Sucking Effect).

Or.....

PPVE........Pelmetmans Poo Vacuum Effect .....

PPRT........Pelmetmans Pong Reducing Theory....

PAST........Pelmetmans Anti Splash Thesis......

PRAT.......Pelmetmans Retired And Too..... much time on his hands.....

:D

Archived