Things that go bump in the night?

Millhey

So there we were, sleeping like babies at around 3 am, when we were awoken by what sounded exactly like someone banging several times on the side of the van (Hymer B524). Leaping out of bed and (like a fool) opening the door to investigate, I found the site totally deserted and silent, so assuming the noise was perhaps caused by a small tree branch or some noctural animal on the roof, we eventually went back to sleep. The experience was then repeated twice more during the night. At the moment I am guessing the noise was somehow associated with the heater (Trumatic C) which was on. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Guest starspirit

No idea Roger - but I sure as hell would not have opened the door!

It happened to me once when so over exuberant lads came back to their tent very late at John O Groats camp site so I got up and leaned on the horn for a couple of seconds whilst opening the cab curtains and putting the headlights on in time to see them all running off.

They were still asleep when we left in the morning and accidentally drove over some of their tent pegs just to make sure that they were securely in the ground.

Guest starspirit
Perhaps as a Chandler Roger you would be well qualified to place a ring of candles around your van to ward off evil spirits etc?

We've often been woken up by birds on the roof, the worst ie noisiest and messiest being seagulls; and once making the mistalke of being downwind of pine trees on a site in France, we moved on the next day - pity 'cos it was a great spot apart fom that one little problem.

Once we were in a GRP hulled boat on a canal, and were woken up by a pair of swans plus a horde of cygnets battering the side of the boat to tell us it was time for their breakfast!  *-)

B-)

Guest starspirit

We were on a noisy seaside beach site once and had to leave early (like 3.00 am) one morning to drive home so before leaving I quietly took the dog for a walk taking care to place several slices of bread on the roof of every offending caravan.

I just wish I could have been there when the gulls arrived!

Archived