Transit engine showing it's age?

cruiser

I know this is more of a mechanical question than an MH question, but I was logged in anyway so here goes!

I'm happily driving a 2004 Rimor on a 2.4 TD Transit base. All is well, the vehicle is regularly serviced and starts and runs fine. It's certainly not a high-mileage engine, so I'm concerned that, on a recent 900-mile round trip to the UK, it started to struggle a little on uphill gradients.

On some of the steeper motorway climbs, I had to abort truck-passing on several occasions and pull back in. It felt as if there was an something holding me back. As soon as the road levelled out, I was back up to full speed with no problem.

To complicate matters, this didn't seem to be a consistent problem....after one awkward climb, I banged the pedal down as hard as I could (to get past a truck who decided to play speed-up games) and after that, the van seemed to be back to it's old self for a while, with increased power on hills.

If it's in any way relevant, I've started to add Dipitane to my diesel fills (I'm not sure if that's available in the UK). That's as much as I can tell you about my problem, should I just accept that the engine is 13 years old, or is there a high-tech way I can get the performance checked? Thanks in advance for any advice, and Happy Easter from Ireland.

PS: A few years ago, there was a power hiccup problem caused by a sticky 'waste gate' or something like that....could that be the culprit again?

cruiser - 2017-04-16 8:17 PM

Thanks, I'll get it checked. I'm wondering if a 2004 engine can be plugged in for computer diagnosis?

Is that the Duratorq Common Rail engine? If so then Yes.

If you want to buy a good Diagnostic tool (much more than an OBD scanner) then look at an Autel MD802...

http://www.auteltech.com/Professional%20Scan%20Tools/368.jhtml

This lists 2000 on 2.4 L Duratorq engines amongst its list of coverage.

I purchased one from obd_expert11 on eBay for a 'Make Offer' of £170, Link to eBay.

It has worked well on the numerous cars I have tried it on so far.

Keith.

PS Forgot to say, make sure it is an 'All system' and NOT a 4 system as they do not have the same ability.

Archived