Tyre Pressures

SilverfoxG

Hello

Can anybody please advise the correct tyre pressure for my 2003 Peugeot Boxer motorhome which is on Pirelli Camper Tyres 215/17/15. I am currently running them at 44psi which is written on a bit of paper behind the sun visor. As have only had her a few weeks the tyres look a bit soft and reading the information on the tyre walls it says they should be inflated to 70 psi which is a huge difference from where they are now. Some advise would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

To get accurate tyre pressures you will have to weigh your MH and get separate front and rear axle weights when fully loaded with full fuel, water, gas, etc.

If you then download the TyreSafe brocheure from HERE you can find your tyre size (note separate tables for camper [CP] and non-camper [C] tyres) and axle weights and work out your optimum tyre pressures.

In the short term if you use the maximum axle weights stated on your MH's VIN plate you will be on the safe side as you should never exceed these weights.

Hope this helps,

Keith.

Edit to add - You should use 'Single' figures for both front and rear axles as 'Rear Single' is only for driven axles ie RWD vehicles.

The information on the tyre walls possibly relates to North America.

The information you require regarding tyre pressures should be on a sticker on one of the cab door frames, but it is possible that these pressures are even higher!

If it were mine I would take the van fully laden to a weighbridge to ascertain the weigh bearing onto each axle of the van and to also ascertain that the GVW (both axle weights added together) is within the vans plated load limits as per the plate that should be under the bonnet.

This link will explain it all, although whether these reduced pressures are legal or not remains very much a grey area and might possibly lead to prosecution if it could be proven that your vehicle is dangerous or you have commited an offence, so be aware of this.

Personally I have followed this guide for many years and vans all ride and handle much better as a result, but I make no reccommendations to others who must use their own judgements.

http://www.tyresafe.org/images/tyre-safety-guide/motorhome-leaflet.pdf

I'd check the age of the tyres as they can stand around for a long time and deteriorate rather than wear out.

There will be a number such as 3614 on the side, this being 36th week of 2014. 5 years is reckoned a time to change. Whether you buy camper tyres or van tyres is up to you.

Guest Peter James
Billggski - 2015-10-03 5:35 PM

5 years is reckoned a time to change. .

It is according to the tyre distributors, but then they are in business to sell tyres *-)

SilverfoxG - 2015-10-03 3:53 PM

Hello

Can anybody please advise the correct tyre pressure for my 2003 Peugeot Boxer motorhome which is on Pirelli Camper Tyres 215/17/15. I am currently running them at 44psi which is written on a bit of paper behind the sun visor. As have only had her a few weeks the tyres look a bit soft and reading the information on the tyre walls it says they should be inflated to 70 psi which is a huge difference from where they are now. Some advise would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

It would be useful to establish the make and exact model of motorhome (eg. Auto-Sleepers Nuevo EK) and - possibly less important - which Pirelli ‘camper’ tyres are fitted. Over the years Pirelli has called their motorhome-related tyre range Chrono Camper, Citynet Camper and, most recently, Carrier Camper.

Although it’s likely that all of these ranges will have similar inflation-pressure characteristics, if definitive advice from Pirelli is to be sought it would be sensible to describe the tyre accurately. The specification will almost certainly be 215/70 R15 109R and the tyre will be marked “C” or “CP” (ie. 215/70 R15C 109R or 215/70 R15CP 109R).

A tyre’s sidewall will carry certain data that are mandatory in the USA but not legally obligatory in the UK. Those data include a maximum inflation pressure to be used when the tyre is at maximum load and, although not directly relevant in the UK, the information should certainly be borne in mind (ie. if the maximum inflation pressure were given as 50psi, it would be inadvisable to inflate the tyre to 80psi).

This webpage

http://whichtyres.com/2012/05/do-i-need-camping-tyres-for-my-motorhome/

mentions that a Continental VancoCamper tyre can carry a maximum pressure datum of 69psi, but Continental approves inflation to a significantly higher pressure. However, it would seem from this earlier forum discussion

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Pirelli-Carrier-Camper-tyres-looking-for-a-quiet-life-/38191/

that Pirelli advises a maximum pressure of 70psi for their ‘camper’ tyres.

For a 215/70 R15 ‘camper’ tyre Continental would recommend a 44psi inflation pressure as being suitable for a front axle static loading of 1425kg and a rear axle (single wheel) static loading of 1270kg. A Peugeot Boxer-based motorhome in ‘holiday’ trim with those axle-loadings would be pretty small and light, which is why I mentioned the usefulness of establishing which make/model of motorhome SilverfoxG has. As it’s unusual to have Pirelli Camper tyres as original equipment on a motorhome (I’ve never seen this.) it’s a fair bet - particularly as the vehicle is 2003 vintage - that SilverfoxG’s tyres have been retro-fitted by a previous owner. (It’s also a reasonable bet that - as ‘camper’ tyres have been chosen - that the motorhome ain’t that small.)

As has already been advised by Keithl and Tracker, to obtain a realistic idea of what minimum pressures would be suitable the motorhome needs to be weighed. And as Billggski suggests, checking the Pirelli tyres’ date of manufacture would be wise.

http://www.tyresforlife.co.uk/www/tyres_for_life_uk_en/themes/tyre-information/how-old-are-your-tyres-en.html

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

(As mentioned in the latter link, if the date-code can’t conveniently be found on the tyre’s sidewall that’s facing outwards it’s because the date-code is on the sidewall that’s facing inwards!)

Hi Guys

A big thank you to you all for the very helpful information you all have provided regarding my tyre pressures.

Its got to be a full hoiliday load up with bikes etc. then off to the weigh bridge.

Once again a big thank you to you all.

Regards

Gordon

:-D

Until you can take the fully-loaded motorhome to a weighbridge and obtain measured axle/overall weight data, I strongly suggest you do as Keithl advised and inflate the tyres to pressures based on the maximum axle-loadings shown on the vehicle’s VIN-plate.

Alternatively, you could just increase the present pressures to, say, 60psi front and rear. That pressure might well not be optimum, and might conflict with the pressures recommended by your motorhome’s manufacturer back in 2003 or by Pirelli, but 44psi seems low to me and it’s decidedly bad practice to operate a vehicle with under-inflated tyres.

If (as I said earlier) you say which make/model of motorhome you own, there’s the possibility that a forum member may be aware of what tyre-pressures the vehicle’s manufacturer will have recommended. As things stand there’s no way of knowing whether you own a large Boxer-based coachbuilt design (that might require tyre pressures approaching 70psi) or a dinky little panel-van conversion where 44psi might be appropriate.

Archived