Underseal or Oil

Mickt

I use waxed oil which comes in 500ml aerosol cans and aim to cover the metal chassis and other vehicle parts, as you would a car. My MH has a plastic underfloor which needs nothing but those with an exposed timber floor should presumably apply a timber preservative.

The aerosol cans cost about £8 each and I use four each time for a generous covering. You can get it on EBay.

Suggest you nose around your local Halfords for Waxoyl by Hammerite. If they don't have any, ask, as Halfords do it. It is messy to apply, and will coat the ground beneath the vehicle while being applied, so may create a slip hazard unless you put down some protection. If you do the job yourself, wear old clothes, as you will get plastered. Otherwise, wear some kind of disposable overalls. You need a warm day as the product has to be warm to spray on. Goggles and mask would also be a good idea. You'll also need a spray applicator, various kinds available. You can get 400ml aerosol cans, 2.5 litre cans with a pressure spray as a starter kit (plus instructions), or 5 litre cans. The kit should include a long, flexible, probe that can be used to spray inside hollow box sections. It seems to work.

gocro - 2015-06-24 9:16 AM

Old engine oil is a carcinogen , and should be avoided when at all possible.

Wear latex gloves all garage mechanics do these days. My van has a standard Fiat Maxi chassis which is not galvanised, strangely the chassis extension IS ? Old engine oil is as good as anything, and mostly free, but a bit messy to apply ,I could and did do it when I was younger and fitter.I now spray the chassis members with White grease, which I get online from toolstation. Only £3.20 a can. Much easier and is virtually permanent ,stops any rust forming.Ray

Rayjsj - 2015-06-24 12:18 PM

Wear latex gloves all garage mechanics do these days. My van has a standard Fiat Maxi chassis which is not galvanised, strangely the chassis extension IS ? Old engine oil is as good as anything, and mostly free, but a bit messy to apply ,I could and did do it when I was younger and fitter.I now spray the chassis members with White grease, which I get online from toolstation. Only £3.20 a can. Much easier and is virtually permanent ,stops any rust forming.Ray

Excellent advice. I used to have a Land Rover and can say from experience that wax oyl is useless and peels off with rust underneath after a year. I did all the usual tricks, warming it up and diluting with white spirit but it just doesn't work. Maybe it's ok on a new car.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Peter James
StuartO - 2015-06-17 4:54 PM

but those with an exposed timber floor should presumably apply a timber preservative.

Problem with coating the underside of a wooden floor is you could be sealing the damp IN - if any damp entering from above cannot soak through the wood and drip out below.

-------

If you are going to cover metal parts with oil its worth using cheap new engine oil. New oil doesn't stink, and its much easier to clean up spills. New engine oil washes out easily with modern detergents - its just the black stuff in old engine oil that doesn't wash out.

Guest Peter James
Charles - 2015-06-29 6:56 AM

can say from experience that wax oyl is useless and peels off with rust underneath after a year. I did all the usual tricks, warming it up and diluting with white spirit but it just doesn't work. Maybe it's ok on a new car.

I think thats a problem with any coating that dries - rust can work away underneath it. Wheras oil stays liquid and soaks into the rust, stopping it from spreading.

My experience suggests that a 'dry' coating, including waxoyl, is better on new metal. But once rust has started you are better off using oil. Quicker and easier to brush a bit more oil on once a year than remove a dried on coating and re paint.

Rayjsj - 2015-06-24 12:18 PM

as I said, Sprayed White Grease, inhibits any rust forming, doesn't dry out, only goes where it is sprayed,doesn' drip after 5 minutes, permanent until you wipe it off, much cheaper than Waxoil. Less messy than waste oil.

Guest Peter James
Peter James - 2015-07-26 8:06 PM

If you are going to cover metal parts with oil its worth using cheap new engine oil. New oil doesn't stink, and its much easier to clean up spills. New engine oil washes out easily with modern detergents - its just the black stuff in old engine oil that doesn't wash out.

On second thoughts if you are spending money on new oil 8-) use gear oil. Its thicker and should stick better.

Archived