Value of our motorhomes after Governments announcement?

Wensco

Hello all,

I'm quite new to this forum and to motorhoming. I've posted a couple of times before and will be picking up a motorhome at the beginning of September. After the announcement yesterday about our Goverments plans for diesels, I wondered what everyone thought about the impact on the value of motorhomes. To be honest the announcement scared me a bit about spending your hard earned cash on something which could have no value in the future?

Any positive thoughts from anybody.

I personally think that this diesel story is a load of rubbish, they would have to change so many vehicles such as lorrie's, taxis, buses and farm vehicles that it would not be practical and in my opinion it is just another piece of the government having no idea what they are doing before they open their mouths and I think this applies to all government parties.

The annoucements so far have been about cars and in order to apply a equivalent approach to commercial vehicles (on which motorhomes are based) a quantum leaf in technology, because the batteries necessary to provide a workable range on one charge does not exist.  In the case of motorhomes, which have much more marginal payloads, trying to run all-electric would be even more challenging.

I think motorhomes would be dealt with by exemption from these provisions for the forseeable future.

Mark Wilkes - 2017-07-28 6:59 AM

I personally think that this diesel story is a load of rubbish, they would have to change so many vehicles such as lorrie's, taxis, buses and farm vehicles that it would not be practical and in my opinion it is just another piece of the government having no idea what they are doing before they open their mouths and I think this applies to all government parties.

(lol) Politicians love setting targets for someone else to achieve - in 2040 when they have gone (lol)

Easier than tackling the real problems like congestion which is largely of their own making through treating road transport as just a cash cow - maximising taxes and stealth taxes like parking fees and fines and permits which has everyone driving round in circles looking for a parking space, whilst minimising investment in new roads for the increasing traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

The announcement was about diesels AND petrol engined cars.

Diesels are getting a bad press at the moment as the focus moves from CO and CO2 causing the greenhouse effect on the climate, to noxious gases and fine particles causing health problems.

But home heating, aircraft, shipping and transport vehicles cause far more pollution than cars.

The pendulum will swing back, and 2040 is a long way away.

The long term goal is to herd us all into smart cities throughout the world and 're-wild' the countryside making it off-limits to the likes of you and me. This explains the push to go electric because once we all have electric vehicles we will be dependent on electric charging stations. Electric cars will also have lots of 'smart' technology in them to control where and when we travel. One newly released Tesla car has been found to have a hidden camera in the rear view mirror aimed at the occupants, something not stated in the specifications.

Look up Agenda 21, re-wilding and smart cities to find out more about our future, which has already been decided.

Longer-term, all transport will be communal as will all housing....for the likes of you and me.

Last days of wild roaming in vehicles folks. Just enjoy it while it lasts.

• 1 month later...
It reads no new solely petrol or diesel cars will be sold, they will still be sold in hybrid for, any vehicle already on the road will not be affected. It may well be that older (dirty cars etc) may be forced of the road by cost of running them tax not allowed in cities etc. But 2040 I'd a long way off so unless you are planning on still using what you have now for the next 25 years

Most vans under 3500kg are classed as PLG, same as cars and car derived vans and it remains to be seen whether reclassification as PHGV over 3500 kgs might suddenly become more attractive as governments fiddle about with VED rates and classifications in their successful attempts to make a simple thing more complex as only governments can?

On the other hand as so many of us will be long past our motorhoming sell by date in 2040 and it just means a bit less cash to be taken in care costs or a bit less for our kids to inherit, so does it really matter?

Archived