Water carrying

Tomo3090

We have just purchased our first MH. A Compass Avantguard, and it is great! How lucky were we to buy the best looking and smartest van ever at our first go! The only problem so far are the looks of envy as we pull up on a site!

We are planning to travel abroad later in the year, but we wondered about water supplies when "wild camping". Our van only has a 45 litre fresh water tank, but it does have an inboard pump to allow an external water barrel etc. The question is, where do people store these when they are travelling around. They are too big for the internal lockers and we have no "garage" on our van. We have looked at the boxes that can be carried on a bike frame, but they aren't practical because of weight, (me lifting the full water barrel!)

Has anyone out there got the answer?

We always carry a 5l plastic container for use as drinking water (never drink from the tank).  It stands in the shower room, secured with bungee when travelling, and is easily refilled somewhere along the road each day.  We also have a substantial compressed plastic container which swells when filled with water, for extra drinking water or to top up the main tank.  This is quite slim if not filled too full and also stores against shower room wall secured with bungee.  We aways carry a couple of 1l flasks which we fill with boiling water each morning from the surplus drinking water - saves boiling the kettle en route and a drop of hot water is always useful. They have dedicatred storage in a cupboard.   If you are really stuck you can always buy a 5l bottle from a supermarket - the containers are also resusable!

Roy. 

Guest starspirit

As long as you don't use the shower or overuse the water in a wasteful way 45 litres should last you about three days by which time the loo will need emptying anyway.

Getting water and emptying the loo can be a challenge when 'off site' touring but car parks often have a tap you can use (having first ascertained that the water is drinkable).

I carry a wide range of tap adaptors and two lengths of hose one about 20' and one about 40' and have never yet been beaten!

If you are desperate for water Tesco value bottled water (NOT fizzy!) is about 20p for 2 litres and half a dozen bottles will top up your tank for about a day at a push and the bottles can be refilled anywhere and carried as spares.

The loo can be CAREFULLY emptied down a convenient convenience taking care to wash and flush away any spillage so as to leave no trace of your visit for the benefit of following users.

Grey water can be emptied down any roadside drain, again without leaving any trace of your visit.

Please do NOT drive along with the grey water tap open as this is not nice for following vehicles and gets us all a bad name.

Guest starspirit

Not into solar panels - too expensive.

I use an extra 110 ah battery wired in parallel alongside the existing 110 ah leisure battery and find that more than adequate for up to 3 to 4 days at a time without the engine.

Cheap effective and simple - just like me.

Tomo3090 - 2007-03-19 8:42 AM

We have just purchased our first MH. A Compass Avantguard, and it is great! How lucky were we to buy the best looking and smartest van ever at our first go! The only problem so far are the looks of envy as we pull up on a site!

>> Yeah not bad looking for a Horse Box :-)

We are planning to travel abroad later in the year, but we wondered about water supplies when "wild camping". Our van only has a 45 litre fresh water tank, but it does have an inboard pump to allow an external water barrel etc. The question is, where do people store these when they are travelling around. They are too big for the internal lockers and we have no "garage" on our van. We have looked at the boxes that can be carried on a bike frame, but they aren't practical because of weight, (me lifting the full water barrel!)

>> As already said, you will be best trying to make your 45 lires last as the weight issue of carrying more has to be considered.

Has anyone out there got the answer?

>> On your Solar panel query , we have two fitted to the roof of our van, think they are 40 or 60 watt, and have lasted without hookup OK without moving to charge the batteries for a week so far. Don't know where or what type you need though as ours were already fitted.

"Fetch & Carry" "Not bad for a horsebox!" This is typical of the jealous comments made about our palace on wheels! :-D :-D

Thanks for your other comments though. I take your point about the weight when carrying the water on the road. We have left ourselves some leeway weight wise with our stuff we have packed, (although Ann is still in shock at being limited to 3 pairs of shoes and 1 small make up bag!) We have come to the conclusion that we can manage 2x25 litre containers if we require them, (They are only for when we are totally away from sites anyway), and can fill them if we can get to a tap.

The solar panel question is still on going.

The horse box bit is a standing joke between me and my father, he like you has a Avantagarde, while we have an Hymer B534. He only uses the rear bed so has removed the mattress from the overcab bed and uses that area as storage, and he once had a bale of hay up there they had got from a garden centre while away for there rabbit.

Tell your Dad he's obviously a chap of discernment and intellect! We too use the top bed for storage. There are only 2 of us and the rear bed feels gigantic!

Thanks for your tips, see you on the road sometimes and we promise not to look down on your Hymer :-D :-D

Archived