Water in Diesel Filter

graemepd

Hi - My "water in the diesel filter" light has come on over the last few days, Can anyone tell me how to bleed water from a diesel fuel filter on a 2007 Peugeot (boxer) 2.2 diesel (I believe the same as a Ducato???). I've located the filter and can see a drain plug at the bottom but it does have a tube looking part up the side with a screw head at the top. Do I undo this? If so where does the water come out please?

Thanks

'2' in the picture is the drain/bleed screw.

The drain nozzle is directly below it on the base of the assembly - you'll need to attach a length of tubing.

Edit - just to clarify, nothing comes out of the drain/bleed screw, it just opens/closes the nozzle below it.

250003824.jpg.1447676f71f6ef1d741b8d236d66417c.jpg

However, if the water was in the filter, where it should not be, it was also in the fuel, where it should not be, meaning it is also in the fuel tank, where it should not be!! This may be due to condensation in the tank during the recent cold spell, or it could be because water is entering the tank via the filler cap, or possibly because the last fill you bought was contaminated with water. It is generally recommended that, if the vehicle will be standing during winter the tank is left as full as possible. This reduces the amount of air in the tank, and so the risk of condensation. Otherwise, check that the filler cap is properly fitted, and that the seal is in good condition, because it is possible that rainwater, or thawing snow melt, has been entering. If all seems in order, if possible, check whether there were any reports of water in diesel in the area where you last filled. High pressure common rail diesel pumps do not like water, and are somewhat expensive!

I would be inclined to speak to your service centre, because emptying this should be a regular service check, so whatever you drew off should, logically, have accumulated since the van was last serviced. Take their advice on what do do next. In any case monitor for more water in the filter very soon (you'll have to run the engine to draw it through, but not for very long), and if you find any, you may have to drop, and completely empty and dry out, the fuel tank. Even if you have to pay a garage to do this it is liable to be much cheaper than replacing a knackered pump, and it wont pack up on you in the middle of nowhere! Good luck.

Archived