Which awning room

Silver Roamer

I'm looking to buy an awning room. Online the Fiamma privacy room looks good and will fit my awning but is heavy, alternatively is the Kampa Motor Rally Air Pro 260 which is lighter but possibly restricted by the motorhome door as the head of the door is only 80mm below the bead rail. Any comments/advise welcome.

Hi silver! We've got an autotrail and have just bought a Thule quick fit room, very good as no poles, slides into track on motorhome and fits to wind out awning. They say you can put it up in 15 minutes, not tried yet,but am confident it will be fine. Got it from rose awnings, great guy there! We went to Newbury show and he fitted track to our motorhome while we were there! And then showed us how to put it up, very helpful chap. I think they fit fiamma awnings too, might be worth a call!

Silver Roamer - 2015-06-12 1:21 PM

I'm looking to buy an awning room. Online the Fiamma privacy room looks good and will fit my awning but is heavy, alternatively is the Kampa Motor Rally Air Pro 260 which is lighter but possibly restricted by the motorhome door as the head of the door is only 80mm below the bead rail. Any comments/advise welcome.

Silly question, perhaps, but are you sure this is the way you want to go? If you site your van for extended periods fine, but otherwise, or if you heven't had it for long so haven't yet established how you will use it, I'd say hold off for a bit, and even then consider alternatives. Enclosing the wind-out awnings can prove quite restrictive, as you have discovered with the Fiamma offering. They also take time to set up on site, and pack away before departure, with the added inconvenience of possibly having to deal with wet and dirty side-walls. If you tour extensively, I'd suggest you'll hardly use it. Also, bear n mind that the wind-out awnings are not that good in wind and rain, as angling the lead rail to shed water is incompatible with the square cut front wall.

An alternative you may wish to consider is one of the Khyam "utility tent" range, here http://tinyurl.com/yfkafcg. These are quick to erect, free standing, and more resistant to wind and water. There are various types and sizes, with various combinations of side walls, down to a pure gezebo with none. Not significantly, if any, more of an encumbrance to carry than the bits for an awning room (obviously depending on the size you get), can be sited as you choose, and the wind-out can still be extended to give a sheltered space between van and awning, but wound back in if the weather gets rough. Just a thought. :-)

Thanks for response.

Yes we have decided we require an awning room for when we are on a site for more than a few days.

Have resolved the problem of the distance limitation following discussion with local caravan/motorhome repair/servicing centre.

The existing Fiamma awning can be repositioned from the side wall to the roof which will them provide the needed clearance.

We can therefore use the Kampa air awning

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Silver Roamer,

I have a Kampa 260 L for sale. It has only been up for 4 days. Still as " new " Inc rear poles. Cost this year about £600.

We are downsizing to a van conversion ( Murvi ).

I want £300 for it. If you or anyone else is interested call me on 01460 73517 or 07802 920858. I will be away from a Wi Fi signal from Monday for 4days.

Bernie T.

• 2 weeks later...
frenchman - 2015-06-13 7:23 PM

Hi silver! We've got an autotrail and have just bought a Thule quick fit room, very good as no poles, slides into track on motorhome and fits to wind out awning. They say you can put it up in 15 minutes, not tried yet,but am confident it will be fine. Got it from rose awnings, great guy there! We went to Newbury show and he fitted track to our motorhome while we were there! And then showed us how to put it up, very helpful chap. I think they fit fiamma awnings too, might be worth a call!

We actually had one of these but couldn't find a way to easily make it fit our Fiamma awning so had to sell it.

Fiamma awnings only have one track running width-ways on the bit you wind out and unfortunately the Thule quick fit room requires 2 tracks - one in the front wind out part and one at the rear on the casing attached to the MH side wall - the room is fitted by slotting the Kador strips sewn on the back and front of the awning into these tracks to hold it up (hence why it's a quick fit), it then has some additional hanging supports but it is these 2 tracks that basically form the room.

The only way you could use it on a Fiamma would be to have a track fitted to your MH under the casing and as the track (and therefore beading) is a different size on a Thule awning you'd need either a figure of 8 kit for the front so you could put in a 'reducing' Kador strip, or get the Fiamma beading strip sewn on next to the existing Thule beading instead.

Archived