class C insurance

budscott

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Where do you get this quote from? If possible please can you post a link for us to see.

I can only find info that car insurance is grouped in classes from 1 to 50.

The only other possibility is that you are referring to insurance write off Categories (not classes) in which "Category C: the vehicle is repairable but the costs exceed the vehicle’s value. Can re-appear on road." Quoted from the RAC Link.

Keith.

Someone who is selling looking for something good to say about what they are trying to sell? :-) A bad reason for choosing any motorhome, IMO.

Compare the cost of the motorhome with the cost of insuring it. Phone several companies for quotes on two different vans, and see how much they vary. I think you find the cost of insuring most vans is remarkably good value compared to car insurance when the relative values of cars and motorhomes is considered. Then consider whether you'd buy a van you don't really like because it is £50 or so per year cheaper to insure than the one you do.

budscott

This is another advertisement for the vehicle you’ve referred to

http://www.donedeal.co.uk/campers-for-sale/autosleeper-topaz-2-berth-vw-t4-top-condition/10080344

This advert is for an earlier Topaz

https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-motorhomes/vw-transporter-t4-topaz-high-top-auto-sleeper-motorhome-2.4-diesel-1994-5-speed-box/1132288733

and its wording (that also includes the phrase “small enough for class C insurance”) strongly suggests that the vendor is the same.

I don’t know what the phrase means either and there seems to be no credible explanation on-line for its use regarding a small UK-built motorhome. As Keithl suggests, if you want to know what the phrase is supposed to mean you could ask the vendor.

I haven't owned a car in 8 years. I'm 60 next year and my old company (Admiral) just quoted £1100 for 3rd party , fire and theft on a 2004 Ford Galaxy 1.9 (they don't do campervans). How would that compare with something like a Ford Autosleeper Duetto? Thanks.

budscott - 2015-09-18 7:59 PM

I haven't owned a car in 8 years. I'm 60 next year and my old company (Admiral) just quoted £1100 for 3rd party , fire and theft on a 2004 Ford Galaxy 1.9 (they don't do campervans). How would that compare with something like a Ford Autosleeper Duetto? Thanks.

Blimey that's expensive had similar vehicle a Kia Sedona used to pay about £200, now paying £140 for a venga and £250 for a new Hymer A Class Motorhome.

Obviously you don't have any no claim but companies often give a 30% starting bonus.

Comfort Insurance Motorhome policies are net policies without a no claims bonus so shouldn't make any difference to the price if you have not insured a car for 8 years my policy is with Comfort.

Well that was interesting. I spoke to Safeguard who put me on to another company as I didn't know who done the comversion. He said 3 of their 'affiliates' refused because of my postcode (inner London) and 2 because it was not a secound vehicle and I have no NCB. Think I'll walk!

Archived