ferry costs 2007

catinou

We are trying to book a ferry for our motorhome and smart car trailer for 2 weeks in September 2007. We found we got really good prices this year when booked in advance (£98 return for the motorhome only travelling on Monday & Friday) so thought we would try again! (Dover Calais)

The cheapest we have at the moment is through Camping Cheques (which we used with great success this year) at a cost of £296, which includes the 15 cheues we need at a cost of £10-30 each. This makes the ferry cost actually £141-50 for m/home & trailer, with both travel dates on Saturdays.

Does anybody know of a better way please? We are restricted in time hence the Saturday travel next year. B-)

Hi you could try SeaFrance they are quite competitive at the moment. On their quote/booking system they give you a choice of times with different prices, it is quite easy to juggle times and get a very good deal. There are also 3 options on prices, and by choosing the most suitable for your conditions you should be able to get a very good price.

Phil.

• 4 weeks later...

Not for this year but for the future! Have you tried tesco clubcard points? every point you get from tesco is quadrupled by p&o and other companies

If you get a tesco credit card aswell you get more points. We buy EVERYTHING! with our tesco credit card, but beware, make sure you setup a direct debit from your bank to pay off the credit bill every month so you dont pay any interest, it's surprising how quick the points add up.Just because its a credit card doesn't mean you have spend money you haven't got. We are going down to spain from portsmouth this year with no outlay at all. I'm sure you all know about this but i'm a newbie and have found this to be of great help financially.

happy new year

mark

Catinou,

We use the shuttle but obviously it depends on what part of France you want to come out at . We buy 10 tickets and go 10 times for £390.

This is the car price so if you want to take the camper they add another £9.

£48 we find is really cheap. a friend has aproperty in France and he has just bought a bulk buy with Norfolk line silly money again .

Why don't you look at their deals apparently (he's a tight wad) so it must be cheap.

goodluck

:-D :-D :-D

Hi we are off this weekend Dover/Calais with 6.84 van 8,15am out and return 17.00. Sea France £60 return honest.

We have also book in September late night sailing and early am return

via Caravan Club Dover/Dunkerque £58 RETURN

Keep looking for the offers and book early.

All the best

Paul member of "worms"

Got an email from Norfolkline yesterday trying to get me to book a crossing with them, their offer is as follows:

"Dover - France 2007 Early Booking Offer - Unsure of travel dates? Book now, amend free later, Each way fare, any duration, Valid for car and up to 5 passengers, Book by 31st Jan for travel in 2007, Enter or quote offer code EB07

Call 0870 1642 115 to boo, or to book online go to:

https://www.norfolkline-ferries.co.uk/en/dd-passenger

Terms and Conditions £19 fare applies to off-peak sailings. £10 additional supplement applies for peak season sailings (30/3/07-15/4/07, 13/7/07-9/9/07). £5 each way supplement applies for weekend travel (Fri-Sun). £4 administration fee applies to telephone bookings. Offer subject availability and valid only when used as part of a return booking with the outward journey originating from Dover. Bookings are non-refundable. Norfolkline terms and conditions apply."

I've already booked via the Caravan Club and got very good prices indeed (did it towards the end of last year) so they are too late but someone else might be interested, don't know if they work out better than anyone else but this might help.

I got the Norfolkline e-mail as well.

Decided to check it out and found that the best price they could give for a motorhome was £48 each way, this was using the e-mail promo code.

I think all of the offers you see in papers, mags etc are to get your interest but actually only apply if you are travelling by car. Motorhomes, caravans still attract a premium.

;-)

Hi everyone, thanks for all your advice - we have actually now booked through Camping Cheques UK. We purchased 10 "cheques" and were given an extra 5 for booking ferry with them too - total price for the 2 weeks in September (travelling on Saturdays so not the cheapest times) and including the "cheques" (covering 15 nights accomodation & electric) was about £302.

We used the camping cheques last year and have found the whole friendly service from Camping Cheques UK brilliant.

Thanks again for your advice.

happy motorhoming.....

Hi All,

Recently booked Dover Calais, fortnight return + 14 camping cheques. April/May. Early out, late return. Sea France. £207.

First timer so was very pleased, didn't really know what to expect but thought the crossing would cost this on it's own!

Did it through Caravan Club and very friendly and helpful they were too! A pleasure!

See y'all,

Lee

• 4 weeks later...
We booked with Norfolk Lines for March and paid £29 each way (22' motor home) but it is a 2am sailing. However on previous sailings we have been put on the next available boat after we have booked in with no extra charge. When we land in France we just drive into the huge (free) truck park and get our heads down for a few hours.

Ours is costing £70 return for Hannibal (our little Trannie) in July/August with Seafrance, but possibly only because we booked online at Christmas.

Trouble is, each year I look at the SF site as soon as it opens, "just to see how much we should budget for if we decide to go to France in Summer," and get quoted a price that's so low I book it there and then!

I've never tried hanging on until the last minute, to see if price falls even lower that way.

Tony

Archived