inverters

fred22

I have got a mobility scooter which is powered by 2 x 12v. 12AH batteries. there is an on board charger which plugs straight into the mains.

Whilst driving around I want to plug the charger into an inverter to keep the batteries topped up.

What sized inverter do I need to do the job.

The batteries will never be flat so it is only a trickle charge I want

Thanks

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Having looked and bid on some inverters there is just one thing that bothers me.

Some of the inverters, but not all, state (or words to the same) "for your protection an earth screw is provided so that you can earth the unit".

I have assumed that this earth screw is on the "mains side" of the inverter and can understand that you can connect it to the chassis if you are in the motorhome on electrics but, what do you attach it to if you are in the car? ( all metal surfaces will already be carrying a negative charge).

Am I missing something.

I have not yet purchased a unit.

The earthing point is for if you are installing it as part of a TN system (Terra Neutral) where one of the output lines from the inverter is connected to the earthing point on the casing and also onto a 2m copper rod driveninto the ground. This is how our homes are protected where all metals are earth bonded to each other and are at near Neutral potential, so if live touches any equipment case or any metalwork the current flow blows the fuse. Neutral is connected to earth at the substation.

Your inverter has a floating earth and acts as an isolated supply. It is perfectly safe to use with no modifications to the earth.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived