rear number plate lights 08 compass avantgarde 145.

athiest

Hi all while trying to change my rear number plate lamps to LEDs I managed to, I think, blow the fuse for this circuit. The boxer manual does not show a fuse for this circuit & every thing else seems to be working. Any help please, I have an MOT in three days by a Peugeot Main dealer. Them changing a fuse could be very expensive.

I believe that separate fusing for the rear number-plate lighting (and certain other lights) ceased being provided when production moved in mid-2006 from the X244 range of Citroen Relay/Fiat Ducato/Peugeot Boxer vehicles to the X250 range (2006-2014).

I THINK that (for X250s and X290s) number-plate lighting is handled through the vehicle’s ‘body computer’, which may mean that - if you’ve done something that’s caused damage - your Peugeot main dealer will need to get involved.

When a vehicle has a CAN-bus electrical system (which your Boxer has) replacing an original-equipment light bulb with one of a different type and/or wattage can have an upredictable effect. It’s well known that replacing a filament bulb with an unsuitable LED equivalent can cause problems.

1: Have you checked that there’s no indication of an error on the dashboard display?

2: Have you tried replacing the LED number-plate bulbs with the original push-in filament type?

If - when they’ve been reinstalled - the original number-plate bulbs fail to work, I suspect there’s little you’ll be able to do about this yourself.

(Suggest you contact Nick Fisher (‘euroserv’) about this. Although Nick’s expertise is primarily Fiat-oriented, where the number-plate lighting is concerned X250 Boxers should be the same as X250 Ducatos.)

Hi Derek,,thanks for your as usual knowledgeable reply. I went to try and wire the number plate light fitting into the rear side light but luckily after replacing the original bulbs checked the lights again and found that they were working,(they were not when I replaced the original bulbs yesterday) I had already surmised that it may of been a computer type glitch caused by the LEDs. Luckily just before I had intended to cut the cables to join them to the rear light I checked. I thought that as the rear of the Boxer chassis was modified by Elldis into a Motorhome then Peugeot may not know exactly just what systems were separately fused and where that fuse might be. If they still were not working Peugoet just might of cost me a lot of money to put right. Still we are good to go now. Thanks again for your' help. "A"

This MHFun discussion may be of interest

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/sidelight-problem.68060/

If you are going to replace original-equipment traditional bulbs with LED equivalents and the vehicle has a CAN-bus system covering the lights, it would be wise to obtain LED bulbs that claim to be suitable for a CAN-bus system and ‘error free’. For example

http://www.lightec-autostyle.co.uk/xenon-white-canbus-error-free-39mm-42mm-festoon-bulb-p-210.html

Such LED bulbs may cost significantly more than the ultra-cheapos, but SHOULD be less potentially problematical.

It’s also worth looking at any reviews. These cheap LED bulbs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canbus-Error-Festoon-Light-Heatsink/dp/B0077J9N50

have 137 reviews but 16 are 1-star only. As duff or wonky number-plate lighting is a motoring offence, choosing that LED bulb would be risky.

(I don’t think your motorhome’s system dislikes LED festoon bulbs as a species - it just dislikes the ones you fitted.)

Hi Derek again, after reading the reviews on Amazon I dont think that I will bother changing them after all. The two that I had bought were slightly more expensive than the Amazon ones but did not say "error free". It seems that even "error free" ones work, at least for a little time but do not last. So I will stick to the filament type for now. "A"

Archived