A frame failure.

summerg

Hi I am new to the forum but as a guest I saw a post dated Jan 17th 2012 about an A Frame failure, I have just had a failure with the towing point on my smart car which luckily only happened at a low speed but caused considerable damage to the car. Can any one help me with the outcome as I am about to sue the installer.

I don't want to name the company at the moment as I am trying to claim compensation from them, I don't have an issue with the A Frame itself but it was fixed to the existing tow point of the car and a thread welded into the opposite side but the cross member was not strengthened and the metal not the weld sheared. They had stated that the would be replacing the original cross member with a modified one supplied by Smart Mercedes which Smart say they don't do, so they must have carried it out them selves, I would be grateful for your input.

Not much help in your quest im afraid. But general information for A- frame users, make sure that a proper strong subframe is used, replacing relatively weak deformable parts fitted by the vehicle manufacturer.

The existing tow point is not strong enough for the stresses and strains of A-frame towing.

I have just removed the sub-frame fitted to my Toyota Yaris, it is a very substantial piece of strong steel, with adequate strength for the job.

This A-frame was made by Car-a-tow, as was the Sub-frame. I have towed with it safely for over 3 years, and can recommend the make. I am not connected to the company,just a very satisfied customer.

I have now downsized to a PVC and no longer tow with an A-frame, but would again if the need arose.

summerg - 2016-06-20 12:37 PMI don't want to name the company at the moment as I am trying to claim compensation from them, I don't have an issue with the A Frame itself but it was fixed to the existing tow point of the car and a thread welded into the opposite side but the cross member was not strengthened and the metal not the weld sheared. They had stated that the would be replacing the original cross member with a modified one supplied by Smart Mercedes which Smart say they don't do, so they must have carried it out them selves, I would be grateful for your input.

Sorry to hear about what must have been an alarming experience; it sounds like you might have a case for compensation.  But you might have to sue for it and that might mean you need a solicitor unless the damages are modest enough to allow you to use the small claims court. 

Broadcasting your story but withholding the supplier's name is open to misinterpretation and a solicitor might advise you to avoid the potential for such misinterpretation/misrepresentation - and to keep your powder dry anyway.  If you haven't consulted a solicitor yet maybe you should consider it.  Ask about a no win no fee arrangement.

Archived