A recomended leisure battery?

BML

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure of the physical sizes but the last ones I bought (recommended following a thread I posted in here) were Varta LFD90. They may also do a larger AH version but do a search to get the dimensions. I specifically changed to those precisely because they were located under the front seats and were too difficult (almost impossible) to get at to carry out routine maintenance of the fluid level. The range is maintenance free and because of their fairly new technology, are said to be much better performance wise than other, sometimes more expensive, batteries. I bought two from Tayna online - cost about £80 from memory.

David

I think Varta’s LFD range of batteries jumps from the LFD90 to the LFD140 (which is a BIG battery).

BML has quoted a battery height-restriction of 9 inches (228mm). This seems a lot to me for an under-cab-seat battery and (as Allan says) it’s much more usual for an under-seat battery to have a height of 190mm (about 7.5”) like that of the LFD90.

As Keithl has asked, it would be helpful to know the make, model and year-of-manufacture of BML’s motorhome. I’ve looked through BML’s earlier postings but, other than it being a “Boxer”, no other identification details seem to have been provided.

aandncaravan - 2017-05-23 9:59 PM

The LFD90 is L - 353mm W-175mm H-190m, same as the Exide G80 and the size fitted in more Motorhomes than any other.

And, from Allan's previous postings on the LFD90, it is highly likely that an LFD90 will outperform a 'cheap' 110 Ah leisure battery both in terms of usable Ah per cycle and number of cycles in its lifetime.

Keith.

PS I have been using an LFD90 for over 6 years and have no reason to replace it in the near future.

Archived