ACSI DVD.......a sad end

Bulletguy

As my current ACSI dvd is 2013 issue i thought it was time to update to 2017. But when i went to the ACSI webshop i found they have stopped selling them! :-( Big mistake as i always considered the dvd ten times better than the guide book.

So i contacted a Dutch friend of mine who used to work for ACSI and he confirmed the last issue year was 2016 and he's offered to send me his. He pointed out though that they only work on windows 8, 7 , XP and Vista......not 10. Thank God i never installed windows free upgrade to 10! :-D

Yes, pity about the demise of the DVD. It used to contain all the "inspected" non discount Acsi campsites.

I now use the Acsi app. However, I used to be able to sync it with my CoPilot app but that doesn't work anymore - it just takes you to Google maps online which is no good for me when on the road.

In desperation, I thought of downloading the Acsi coordinates to CoPilot but the Acsi website doesn't provide this information.

Perhaps you can ask your ex-acsi contact if there is a way of syncing the Acsi app with other navigational software or a way of downloading the coordinates.

Thanks in anticipation :-D

I find the app far more useful.

However the coordinates can be downloaded from Archies Camping at http://www.archiescampings.eu/.

You can download all European campsites, or region by region or even country by country, The coordinates of the 2017 Camping Card sites can also be downloaded. Once downloaded to your PC open the zip file and select your sat nav or mapping type. Then upload to your selection according to your device requirements.

Another1 - 2017-02-17 4:34 PM

I find the app far more useful.

However the coordinates can be downloaded from Archies Camping at http://www.archiescampings.eu/.

You can download all European campsites, or region by region or even country by country, The coordinates of the 2017 Camping Card sites can also be downloaded. Once downloaded to your PC open the zip file and select your sat nav or mapping type. Then upload to your selection according to your device requirements.

Many thanks Another1. I did have Archies campings using Autoroute on my previous notebook before it died. It was a fantastic resource. Must give Archie a revisit. It looks like he's renamed the Acsi sites to Camping Card to overcome brand association.

Robbo - 2017-02-17 3:11 PM

Yes, pity about the demise of the DVD. It used to contain all the "inspected" non discount Acsi campsites.

I now use the Acsi app. However, I used to be able to sync it with my CoPilot app but that doesn't work anymore - it just takes you to Google maps online which is no good for me when on the road.

In desperation, I thought of downloading the Acsi coordinates to CoPilot but the Acsi website doesn't provide this information.

Perhaps you can ask your ex-acsi contact if there is a way of syncing the Acsi app with other navigational software or a way of downloading the coordinates.

Thanks in anticipation :-D

I'm afraid the app is useless to me Robbo as i don't have a "fancy phone". It's sad they've chosen to discontinue the dvd in favour of that as looking at a map in it's entirety is much better. However my Garmin gps has all ACSI sites installed which is useful but i've always used the dvd for planning my tours.

I will ask if he knows anything about syncing the app though he is in his 70's!

*edit.....i've just seen your question has been answered!

Thanks Bulletguy. I don't have a "fancy phone" either, just a cheap Tesco Hudl 8" tablet with GPS. Pity they've discontinued the Hudl 2.

Just about the right size for satnav with CoPilot loaded. Even the chief navigator can see it and check it against her paper map B-)

Brian Kirby - 2017-02-17 7:14 PM

Bulletguy - 2017-02-17 11:44 AM................. He pointed out though that they only work on windows 8, 7 , XP and Vista......not 10. Thank God i never installed windows free upgrade to 10! :-D

2016 works fine on my Win 10 machines. Shame they've decided to withdraw it.

Must be ok then. I'm just going off what he told me in email. Yes big pity but obviously they weren't selling enough though i can't think why as they are much better than the guide book which is extremely limited by comparison. I couldn't even give my in date guide book away so threw it in the bin after i had my first dvd.

I tried the DVD last year.Did not find it that easy to use! Did not think it was worth the money. You still have to buy the book, in order to get the card, so have stuck with that. You can look on line any way, as long as you have WIFI

PJay

PJay - 2017-02-18 11:34 AM

I tried the DVD last year.Did not find it that easy to use! Did not think it was worth the money. You still have to buy the book, in order to get the card, so have stuck with that. You can look on line any way, as long as you have WIFI

PJay........i found buying the guide book just to get the card was a waste of money as in most cases sites i went to discounted without and often below the ACSI listed price. Also the book lists just a couple of hundred sites where the DVD has every single one throughout UK and Europe which from memory is close on a couple of thousand.

The mapping is brilliant though i admit i've always been a bit of a "map freak" and i'm surprised you found it difficult to use. You can either look at UK and Europe in it's entirety, or select a single country (which is the usual method). The menu even enables you to narrow that search further still by showing only sites in the region of the country you are touring.

Interesting you mentioned wifi. Install the software from the dvd into a computer and you can access ACSI mapping anywhere without wifi....which i often am.

The guide book i had, which was in date and with card....i couldn't even give it away so ended up chucking it in the bin!

Archived