ACSI

sgbentley

Hi me again,

I've purchased our new 2017 ACSI card but it's obviously not going to be delivered til December. We're off in a couple of weeks and not back till Feb/March so won't be home when it arrives. This must happen to a lot of motorhomers whilst they're away? Will the sites still accept your acsi without the updated card? I'm intending to print off my payment receipt as evidence, or can they tell on the computer that we're still members?

Thanks

I cant be sure but I think that most sites will ask for the actual card before giving the discount. In some cases the site doesn't ask to see it if you ask for the discount but most times I think they will.No doubt ACSI have memberships on a database but I doubt if sites would have access to it.

This happens to us and many others every year. I have finally got ACSI to consider an online membership so if you do not have the card or lose it, the campsite can check your membership on line and your passport confirms your identity.

We get someone to open the package and air mail the card to us.......................so stupid for such a tiny piece of paper....................all the book stuff is searchable on line.

The more people who ask for this, the more likely it is to happen.

Yes it's frustrating that it runs from December to December as many people have left the uk by that time. In an earlier thread I think it said that ACSI will no longer forward the card to a site you may be staying at which compounds the problem.

So far we have been lucky as we tend to leave around mid December and vicarious books do try to send them out to those who have pre-ordered as quickly as possible but cannot guarantee they will arrive by a certain date. Fortunately, we have received it before leaving in previous years.

Perhaps it would be better if it were April to April but in the meantime is there someone who could forward the card on to you when it arrives?

David

sgbentley - 2016-09-21 10:21 AM

Hi me again,

I've purchased our new 2017 ACSI card but it's obviously not going to be delivered til December. We're off in a couple of weeks and not back till Feb/March so won't be home when it arrives. This must happen to a lot of motorhomers whilst they're away? Will the sites still accept your acsi without the updated card? I'm intending to print off my payment receipt as evidence, or can they tell on the computer that we're still members?

Thanks

You could always try what I've done a few times and got away with. What you do is flash your expired card at them with your thumb over the expired year digit, whilst at the same time (with the other hand) handing them your Camping Carnet which has all the details they need. You have to quickly put the ACSI card back into your shirt pocket.

I practised this first with a current card just to see if it worked and it did. It didn't work everywhere, but I still managed to get the ASCI rate out of the site. Its my opinion and experience that the ACSI low season rate is mostly charged to everyone anyway.

Now we travel early in the year and I always have a current card. Takes the fun of of life!

Had some discussion with ACSI and they are suggesting an online system would be too expensive or complicated.

So I had another idea...................................what about a 5 year membership card only............costing say €50 and can be bought any time in the starting year...........

There would be no books (though you could take out a separate sub if you wanted books) but everything is searcheable on line anyway.

All they have to do is produce a credit card with 2017-2021 printed on it and your name...............it must be presented with passport.

They could do that next year...........................would like some feedback before contacting them again...........................anyone interested in 5 years commitment.

OR even better they could just make a 2017 card available separately now at the same price without having to wait for the books to be printed.

webby1 - 2016-09-24 2:30 PM

Had some discussion with ACSI and they are suggesting an online system would be too expensive or complicated.

So I had another idea...................................what about a 5 year membership card only............costing say €50 and can be bought any time in the starting year...........

There would be no books (though you could take out a separate sub if you wanted books) but everything is searcheable on line anyway.

All they have to do is produce a credit card with 2017-2021 printed on it and your name...............it must be presented with passport.

They could do that next year...........................would like some feedback before contacting them again...........................anyone interested in 5 years commitment.

OR even better they could just make a 2017 card available separately now at the same price without having to wait for the books to be printed.

Thank webby1 for trying to get something together that might improve the present system.

Unfortunately, this particular idea wouldn't be a good solution for us as we can foresee a time when we may not be going overseas every year do having an annual subscription is preferable. Additionally, we do like to have the books as we don't always have access to online services.

We are happy generally with the system but, for us, the timing is a little bit precarious as we usually plan to leave for the winter trip mid December and we don't usually have a particular destination where we can get the ACSI card/guide sent to.

David

sgbentley - 2016-09-21 10:21 AM

Hi me again,

Thanks

Sites will ask for your card,(and quite rightly so) and some keep them until you leave. Currently in France on ACSI site which is closing in 5 days time, but they do need to see your card. If you buy the 2017 disk from Vicarious then you could get some-one to detach the card from new book and just post that to you.

PJay

derek500 - 2016-09-24 9:00 PM

david lloyd - 2016-09-24 5:58 PMAdditionally, we do like to have the books as we don't always have access to online services.

The Android app is excellent as all the data is available offline. And it has all the reviews, which aren't in the books.

Thanks Derek but all phones/tablet are IOS.

David

Try to avoid sites as much as possible but do carry an ASCI card but have yet to achive a discount with it every site we have tried it's the same rate with or with out the card but a Camping Card (used to be called Carnet) often get a 10% discount which makes it cheaper than ASCI rates.

Archived