AL-Ko Torsion bar rear axle.

monique.hubrechtsgm

A fiat-alko owner motorhome was interested to fit H4Y . He gave alko his ZFA number which is sufficient for alko to open his chassis history. They said that the swingarm degree setting should be changed from 15 to 23 degrees to uplift the chassis. Very strange since ride height and swing arms degrees are factory set including wheel arch dimensiions. The gain was 10cm up.It is done as follows: lift axle up and hammer out the torsion bars. Set the "X" dimension to the 23 degrees table which is the height of wheel midlle point to the top of the chassis rail. So called calibration point. Also used in case of air suspension.And now comes the most tricky thing: how you put back the common three torsion bars in place? Have a light torch ready and start whit the first one whatever his place but whit the right l/r colour and block- end for the mid position in the axle tube. you can push them in only whit some tricks. Than check if the bolt in the middle passes the bar using the torch.And repeat for the other two. As far no video is made by alko to show this. Blame on you alko.

“HY4” (not “H4Y”) is a levelling system offered by AL-KO for their AMC chassis. Details here:

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/news/al-ko-launches-new-self-levelling-system-for-motorhomes

http://www.al-ko.co.uk/pages/hy4-features-2.html

https://tinyurl.com/ybocz2gk

It’s improbable that an owner of a motorhome with an AL-KO AMC chassis would attempt the procedure described by Monique that involves removal and replacement of the axle’s torsion bars, and I would have thought AL-KO’s ‘failure’ to provide an on-line video of the process is understandable given its complexity and the potential for DIY error.

Do not agree at all . Apart from DIY calibration, it is time that interested motorhomers, as myself who pay a price premium for it have the right to understand how their alko torsion bar axle works. Including the factory ride height settings of the swing arm. I find the DIY jobs you described Derek far more risky on the motorhome gas equipment. Alko axle and air supension needs much more explanation. I can do it but this site is only for talk and no transfer of PDF technical.

My Al-ko chassis study has come to an end for motorhomes. In two days i have received all the info and pictures i like to see from adria-alko- VB. They asked to share only in good believe to others if safety is concerned. This include alko workshop manual and how to built on air suspension. The Adria pictures are very impressive to show the alko chassis as built whit air. What an impressive alko original product is when you have it on your motorhome. For the interested readers i can email interested subjects in future. Amen.

Archived