ALL FORUM MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

PJay

I notice on responses to new(ish) members’ queries that people with a mine of knowledge who reply often have to ask for basic details (eg. make, model, age) the motorhome that the questioner has.

This is not personal data, just helpful info, which would assist . I know some have not got motorhomes, so this would have to have some sort of answer ( potential buyer!)

PJay

............................................................................................................................

Added by Derek Uzzell (Forum Moderator)

IDENTIFYING YOUR MOTORHOME

May I ask forum-members (new or long-standing) who participate on this forum to use the “Forums Control Panel” feature and provide in the ”Location” box of their Profile basic details of the motorhome they own (if they actually own one of course!) Make, exact model and year of manufacture should be enough - use your initiative.

A forum-member’s Profile allows creation of a ‘signature’ that has the potential to appear beneath every posting that the member makes, and some members have included details of their motorhome within their signature. This is not the best place to provide that information, however, as the Profile also includes a YES/NO option "View other people's signatures?” and this option defaults to NO.

Sampling postings suggests that most forum-members do not create a signature and, although it is not practicable to identify how many forum-members deliberately choose not to view other people’s signatures, as NO is is the default choice it’s likely that, if you do create a signature, your signature will be invisible. Feel free to create wondrous/hilarious/profound signatures, but keep in mind that most forum-members probably won’t see them and, if your motorhome details are embedded in your signature, they won’t see those details either.

Some forum-members put motorhome identification data in their Profile’s “Interests” box. This is OK, but it still means that, if a motorhome has not been identified in a posting, the forum-member’s Profile needs to be looked at in the hope that the information may be present there. Exploiting the Profile’s “Location” box avoids this.

So, if you are happy to provide your current motorhome’s basic details (and obviously you don’t HAVE to do this!) it’s best to use your Profile’s “Location” box as the information you put in that box will always be visible on your postings.

(It would also be worth forum-members checking their Profile for accuracy, as some of the information I’ve seen (like email addresses and website-related entries) on Profiles is clearly incorrect.)

Totally agree Pauline, I'm often one asking for details or searching old posts to try and find info!

Unfortunately I can't make this a 'Sticky' but I'll PM Daniel and ask him if something can be done.

Keith.

Keithl - 2017-06-06 7:51 PM

Totally agree Pauline, I'm often one asking for details or searching old posts to try and find info!

Unfortunately I can't make this a 'Sticky' but I'll PM Daniel and ask him if something can be done.

Keith.

Thanks Keith. Hope you get some response

. It must only be a simple change, for the tech people at MMM?

AND it would certainly be of use to others , who may want to get in touch with like minded van owners?

P

• 4 weeks later...

You make a good point Pauline. However I used to have a full profile with van and location details etc. I deleted it after being described by a mod in a way in which I found a tad derogatory. The only way to get rid of the description was to remove all of my profile. So, as long as nobody decides to add anything to the description of someone such as "lives on the forums" etc I would be happy to amend my profile to include whatever the kind and helpful people on this forum need to know in order to help them answer any questions I have. Perhaps extending the courtesy of checking whether a member was happy with any description that it is proposed will be applied to them would avoid this phenomenon.

Veronica

Violet1956 - 2017-07-02 7:59 PM

You make a good point Pauline. However I used to have a full profile with van and location details etc. I deleted it after being described by a mod in a way in which I found a tad derogatory. The only way to get rid of the description was to remove all of my profile. So, as long as nobody decides to add anything to the description of someone such as "lives on the forums" etc I would be happy to amend my profile to include whatever the kind and helpful people on this forum need to know in order to help them answer any questions I have. Perhaps extending the courtesy of checking whether a member was happy with any description that it is proposed will be applied to them would avoid this phenomenon.

Veronica

I don't think the "descriptions" where meant to be derogatory , BUT do agree I can not see the point in them

The number of posts made by a poster indicates how much one contributes! Though in some cases not always helpful!

The very few "technical" helpful people (you know who they are) could have the "master" monica maybe?

The van description is helpful though in that any one with the same or simalar , can gain knowledge from replies , also location helps when suggesting local suppliers

Maybe you take offence too easily ? Just don't let the controversial posters (again, you know who ) get to you Life's TOO short , CAPE DIEM !!

(My rusty Latin , learn't a very long time ago!!)

PJay

PJay - 2017-07-03 9:19 AM

Veronica

I don't think the "descriptions" where meant to be derogatory , BUT do agree I can not see the point in them

The number of posts made by a poster indicates how much one contributes! Though in some cases not always helpful!

The very few "technical" helpful people (you know who they are) could have the "master" monica maybe?

The van description is helpful though in that any one with the same or simalar , can gain knowledge from replies , also location helps when suggesting local suppliers

Maybe you take offence too easily ? Just don't let the controversial posters (again, you know who ) get to you Life's TOO short , CAPE DIEM !!

(My rusty Latin , learn't a very long time ago!!)

PJay

I'll make an effort to lighten up ;-)

I have listed my vehicle under my signature so it's always at the bottom of every post :-)

(Anything put in a forum-meember’s ‘signature’ will not be visible on their postings if another forum-member (like me!) has deliberately chosen not to view signatures. For providing always-visible motothome identification information, put that information in the “Location” field.

Added by Derek Uzzell)

You make a good point Pauline. However I used to have a full profile with van and location details etc. I deleted it after being described by a mod in a way in which I found a tad derogatory.

Veronica

Hi Veronica,

As PJay has already explained, the 'Rank' is automatically assigned by the forum software depending on how many posts you have made and how long since you first registered.

These ranks where changed by Duncan when he was the forum moderator, probably a year or so ago.

This is the full list of ranks and posts/days that he set:

Just joined - 0/0

Having a look around - 20/30

Liking what I've found - 40/30

Pops in from time to time - 75/60

Keeps coming back for more - 125/80

Gets involved - 200/100

A posting machine - 300/100

Has lots to offer - 400/100

Lives on the forums - 500/120

Pillar of the forums - 600/140

Treasured contributor - 800/160

Epic contributor - 1000/200

Forum master - 2000/240

Lord of the posts - 5000/240

Legendary contributor - 7500/360

The special one - 10000/360

Walks with the gods - 15000/360

If you do not like a specific rank that has been assigned to your forum 'score' perhaps you could PM or email our new moderator (Daniel) and ask him to change it (or do as you have already done and simply hide it!).

Keith.

Thanks for the explanation Keith. I really do need to lighten up as I said earlier. I suppose it was due to my shame at looking in so much and posting rather than doing my work. I so enjoy the forum and appreciate all the work people like you do for all of us.

Veronica

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

And a reminder to new forum members, and some old ones as well...

The 'Website address' field on the Forums Control Panel does not mean your home address but the URL of your website if you have a personal website.

If in doubt leave it blank!

Keith.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It’s also worth mentioning the Warners required standards for what forum members post.

15 CONTENT STANDARDS

15.1 These Content Standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our Site (including but not limited to articles, media, photographs, blog posts and videos) (Contributions), and to any Interactive Services associated with it.

15.2 You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The Content Standards apply to each part of any Contribution as well as to its whole.

15.3 Contributions must:

--- 15.3.1 be accurate (where they state facts);

--- 15.3.2 be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and

--- 15.3.3 comply with all applicable laws in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.

15.4 Contributions must NOT:

--- 15.4.1 contain any material which is defamatory of any person;

--- 15.4.2 contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory;

--- 15.4.3 promote sexually explicit material;

--- 15.4.4 promote violence;

--- 15.4.5 promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;

--- 15.4.6 infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person;

--- 15.4.7 be likely to deceive any person;

--- 15.4.8 be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence;

--- 15.4.9 promote any illegal activity;

--- 15.4.10 be threatening, abuse or invade another's privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;

--- 15.4.11 be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;

--- 15.4.12 be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person;

--- 15.4.13 give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or

--- 15.4.14 advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.

Further information here

http://www.warnersgroup.co.uk/about-warners-group/terms-conditions/

• 4 months later...

Archived