Advice for Newbie re Auto Trail Awning

Huwglo

We have recently purchased a 65 Auto Trail Tracker EKS with a Thule Omnistar 4900 Awning fitted and I am struggling to understand as to whether the Auto Trail is too high for the majority of the quickfit / pop up awning tents/rooms , which I believe is the case for the Thule options.

Does anybody have any recommendations for an easy to erect version which will fit under my awning .

Many Thanks

Huw

Hi, we have an Auto-Trail Apache 700 and we have used for the past 4 years a Kampa Motor Rally 260XL awning. It is relatively lightweight and attaches to the wind out Thule awning. It is easy to erect and very stable in windy conditions. They can be bought new very cheap on ebay if you do not mind an old model.

It is large enough for 2 chairs and a small table and still space for outdoor kit or as in our case a a very large dog kennel.

Be aware, Auto-Trail normally fit the Thule awnings in a recess on the side of the motorhome and hence the awning cassette to recess sealing strip supplied by Thule does not and has not been fitted. Which results in rain water going behind the awning cassette and running down the outside wall of the motorhome. Under normal circumstances this obviously does not matter but is a significant nuisance when you erect an awning! This can easily be fixed with a bead of sealant or do what we did was find a long length of round plastic covered cable of the right diameter (approx 10mm dia) to snugly fit the small gap between the awning cassette and the recess. This works perfectly acting like an o ring seal without the need for sealant and has remained in place without becoming loose.

Archived