Advice wanted Greece

kevin hawkins

We intend to visit Mainland Greece next year, advice sort as to how long we should be in Greece to see the various sites, would two weeks be ok or do we need longer or shorter. It's so I can plan and book the ferries etc. And which month is best to avoid the dreaded mozzies. Any help must appreciated

Kevin ans Kath

:-o

kevin hawkins - 2017-10-15 4:38 PM

We intend to visit Mainland Greece next year, advice sort as to how long we should be in Greece to see the various sites, would two weeks be ok or do we need longer or shorter. It's so I can plan and book the ferries etc. And which month is best to avoid the dreaded mozzies. Any help must appreciated

Kevin ans Kath :-o

I agree with Lenny, 6 weeks or more. We did about 1,500 miles in Greece. But, as ever, it depends what you want to see. We went 2010 from Ancona to Igoumenitsa, overnight ferry, camping on board. However, Greece, and the ferries, have changed since. Also, it takes a while to get down to, and back from, Ancona. About 2250 miles return from Calais. Two weeks wouldn't touch the sides! I'd suggest getting a decent guide book and working your way through that for the sites you want to visit.

We had 8 weeks ,actually had 4 weeks on ,went up and down the three fingers.Went mid May

Took the ferry from Venice 30 hours ,hooked up on boat ,not sure if best way to do the trip ,journey on boat boring .

But having got there fantastic time ,so much to see .

2 weeks just isn't long enough! Greece is a long way from UK and to do the trip justice you really need 6-8 weeks. This year we spent 2 months, 2 weeks to get there, a month in Greece and 2 weeks to get home. It was a leisurely trip, we have done it in 3 days before but would not recommend it. The cost alone from Ancona to Patras or Igoumenitsa ( it's the same cost ) was over 600 euros so you need to make the trip worthwhile. We have travelled extensively in Greece so spent most of this trip on the Peloponnese visiting Delphi, Olympia and Epidavros. Camping on Board is more difficult to get now as Minoan don't do Camping on Board and Anek/superfast only run 1 ferry per day so you need to book in advance. We tried to get our return journey changed to give us longer in Greece but without success. We went early May and came back early June which is a good time to visit as well as September/October.

2 weeks isn't no where near enough ferry from Venice is good to either Igomenitsa or Patras same ferry 2 stops. May is a good time to go August would be really hot. Check your route through Italy we have been caught out with snowed in mountain passes France to Italy early May. Mont Cenis is our favoured pass. Mont Blanc tunnel is €56 and you need a low emission zone sticker now

Getting to Venice or Trieste. I prefer the route through Germany to Saltzberg in Austria. Then south through the Toern Tunnel (probable got the spelling wrong). Down to the Adriatic coast near Udine (half way between Venice and Trieste) wonderful motorway all the way (superb engineering with easy gradients and some spectacular views). German autobahns are free and have been getting major improvements recently. You need a vignette for Austrian motorways, and the Tunnel costs 11 euros each way. It is motorway all the way, unlike the Mont Blonc route. It is also the only alpine tunnel that I know of which has a separate tunnel for each direction. Don't underestimate the difference that makes in a long tunnel.

Of course the ferries are a sensible option. However given TIME the Croatian motorway is SUPERB and goes almost to Dubrovnic (toll road). Then it is pretty poor UK type roads through Montenegro, really bad roads through Albania and in to northern Greece.

Albania is actually well worth visiting in its own right. You MUST use campsites. The poor roads are compensated by the slow speeds, usually 15mph. Max speed limit 30mph! Allow plenty of time.

Perhaps not for both ways - but if you are going to Greece it is a pity not to see what is en-route!

Trevor

Archived