Aire at Bergues (for Dunkirk)

Cattwg

Hi,

I am posting this aire at Bergues as I have not seen it mentioned before and it is very handy for both Dunkerque and Calais, being 6 and 30 miles east of them respectively – Junction 16 off the A25 then about 200yds and the aire is on the RHS. Sorry I don’t have satnav co-ordinates.

It’s a large free, hardstanding parking area outside the town walls and next to the sports fields. There are no services but these are available at a cost of €5 at Camping Verdun at Hondschoote - take the shortcut (a couple of miles) through the town centre.

Quite a lot of the old town walls are still in tact and make for an interesting walk, a free leaflet can be obtained from the TIC in the bell tower on the town square.

We have used it twice and on both occasions we were the only Brits amongst about 20 French ‘vans.

Cattwg :-D

I have been on Google Maps trying to find this Aire and have had no luck so far, there is an Aire at Hoondschoote with free services which I have used in the past, Berques looks like a nice place to be so I will explore it in a few weeks time on my way to Norway, hopefully someone will post the co-ordinates for it before long, many thanks Malc.

This has been really bugging me and I have now found where it is ,BERQUES 59380, Rue Maurice Cornette, Stade St Andrew, 50.96491 02.43223 I found it on a Dutch Camperstop Web Page.I was spot on with my second post, but it looks better on the Dutch Page.

Hi Vindiboy,

I think we must be talking about different places. I have checked my spelling against Autoroute and a French map and it's definitely Bergues (with a 'g'). The town I’m referring to is off the D916 south from Dunkerque and due west of Hondschoote.

Cattwg - 2011-03-29 12:26 PM

Hi Vindiboy,

I think we must be talking about different places. I have checked my spelling against Autoroute and a French map and it's definitely Bergues (with a 'g'). The town I’m referring to is off the D916 south from Dunkerque and due west of Hondschoote.

Well you are right about it being a G and not Q but I think I am on the right place, yes to D916, yes West of Hondschoote it looks good whatever so I will have a look at it next week .Thanks.

Cattwg - 2011-03-28 3:46 PM

Hi,

I am posting this aire at Bergues as I have not seen it mentioned before and it is very handy for both Dunkerque and Calais, being 6 and 30 miles east of them respectively – Junction 16 off the A25 then about 200yds and the aire is on the RHS. Sorry I don’t have satnav co-ordinates.

It’s a large free, hardstanding parking area outside the town walls and next to the sports fields. There are no services but these are available at a cost of €5 at Camping Verdun at Hondschoote - take the shortcut (a couple of miles) through the town centre.

Quite a lot of the old town walls are still in tact and make for an interesting walk, a free leaflet can be obtained from the TIC in the bell tower on the town square.

We have used it twice and on both occasions we were the only Brits amongst about 20 French ‘vans.

Hi Cattwg. We stayed there last summer and it suited us very well. Only Brit among 30 or so French vans, old boy next to me played the French national anthem very loudly on his van's audio a few times - but he was only having fun - I went and had a chat with him in French and he was charming. There is more info on the aire on the town's website www.bergues.fr (in French) if anyone is interested. Max 49 vans, officially. Last visit, there was cheap diesel available at the Intermarche round the corner.

Bob

derek pringle - 2011-03-30 12:55 PM

Hi Vindiboy,

I see you are off to Norway soon, my wife and I are going there at the end of May, coming back end of july.

We have never been there before,have you?. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. Anyway have a brilliant time and good luck

derek and lyn

Hi Derek, yes we are going about mid April, the plan is { as far as we make plans } is to take a slow drive to Hirtshals in Denmark via Belgium, Holland and Germany,take a ferry from Hirtshals to Norway, not sure which port in Norway yet, we will sus that out when we get there, then we want to drive the Sea Road as far as we can, making our way to North Cape slowly and return via Sweden and Denmark and then back to Calais.We plan to use the new Bridge from Sweden to Denmark.I have obtained Vicarious books on Aires in Scandinavia, and I am told wild camping ,which we love is OK most everywhere,if you have any info it would be good to share it with you, regards Malc.

Usinmyknaus - 2011-03-30 11:21 AM

Cattwg - 2011-03-28 3:46 PM

Hi,

Hi Cattwg. We stayed there last summer and it suited us very well. Only Brit among 30 or so French vans, old boy next to me played the French national anthem very loudly on his van's audio a few times - but he was only having fun - I went and had a chat with him in French and he was charming. There is more info on the aire on the town's website www.bergues.fr (in French) if anyone is interested. Max 49 vans, officially. Last visit, there was cheap diesel available at the Intermarche round the corner.

Bob

Hi ,I have just had a look at the link you posted, thanks ,I plan to visit the Town in a week or so.Malc.

Hi Malc,

Pretty much the same as you only we are going via the bridge to Malmo and travelling up Sweden, coming down Norway from the Lotofen Isles, hope to see the whales. We have never wild camped before but think this may be the place to give it a go for the odd night, hopefully in a nice place with lovely scenery. Must say we are not keen on the low allowances you can take in to Norway, as like most people we enjoy a tipple while away. Also have the Aires book you mentioned plus we contacted the MMMs travel consultants for Scandinavia and they have sent what looks like a lot of useful information.{if you cant find them I will photocopy and post to you}

best of luck

derek

Thanks Derek, I have looked on the Internet for Norway and read several posts on the Motorhome pages and it seems that although the alcahol limit is low the Customs don't seem to bother much as long as it is for your own use, the drink driving limit is very strict so I guess drinking less is a must, look forward to the info you have, Malc.

Hi Malc,

New to the forum and still finding our way around.

Would you like me to send a copy of the stuff I mentioned, if so, how can I get it to you observing privacy etc. I am about to try attaching a file after posting but may be barking up the wrong tree, the file will contain my e mail address.

cheers

derek

Archived