Al-Ko chassis identification?

BruceM

I’m trying to determine whether or not my 2003 i5830 Dethleffs has an Al-Ko chassis or not so that I may ensure that it's maintained appropriately.

There’s nothing on the VIN plates to indicate the chassis type and having crawled under the vehicle I’ve not spotted anything that sports the chassis manufacturers name. Has anyone an idea what to look out for and/or where to look? The rear axel has leaf and coil springs and what looks like regular Fiat bump stops.

There is some id on the chassis by alko. But not a real identification of what you really have. Some of the most weak points of a alko chassis. At present they have a full history of your axle by chassis number. And all technical details and drawings in a split second. They have not you. They means their internal network. For that reason i have said to alko go to hell. And serve yourself.

Many thanks for the info.

The main chassis certainly appears to be connected to the cab chassis in the manner shown in the video so I’m thinking that it’s an Alko.

However I’ve been all over the rear axle and nowhere can I spot a grease nipple. This axle would date from 2002/3. I guess it could be that this is a maintenance free version if such a thing existed then. I think I’ll try dropping Dethleffs an email to see if they can cast any light on it.

BruceM - 2017-04-17 6:58 PM

I’m trying to determine whether or not my 2003 i5830 Dethleffs has an Al-Ko chassis or not so that I may ensure that it's maintained appropriately.

There’s nothing on the VIN plates to indicate the chassis type and having crawled under the vehicle I’ve not spotted anything that sports the chassis manufacturers name. Has anyone an idea what to look out for and/or where to look? The rear axel has leaf and coil springs and what looks like regular Fiat bump stops.

Not Alko then. They have torsion bar rears not springs.

Thank you. That’s really useful. I’ve emailed Dethleffs and if they respond I’ll let the forum know their response.

Meanwhile I’ve attached some pictures showing the axle/suspension. Also, there’s the remnant of a bar code and number on the axle so I’ve attached a picture of that as well. It appears to read 138208.

NearSideRearFacingForward.jpg.a8c147308da3f60aeadd78bc96fe03e3.jpg

OffSideRearWheel.jpg.a5297f293d356f363b9ccc4176846c69.jpg

RearAxleFacingForward.jpg.b1cacae7fe15af1c9193a71ec90ab672.jpg

RearAxleFacingForward2.jpg.cab548ecd38c4179c769954463ddf736.jpg

SerialNumber.jpg.52c76cdc87c7b845a21b82663e00e457.jpg

Just had a response from Dethleffs – excellent and prompt after sales support – I wish more manufacturers appreciated the importance of this. It makes a refreshing change from just being redirected to a UK dealership.

Dethleffs checked their records and have confirmed the forum’s conclusion.

Thank you to all forum contributors for their insights.

Archived