Alcohol Restrictions

Cattwg

Not sure if anyone else has posted anything similar recently but I just had a terrible thought. When we leave the EU we’ll be back to the old restrictions on the amount of wine, beer etc that we can bring into the UK from the Continent. :'( :'( :'( Better stock up!!!!

Cattwg :-D

Interesting article in todays Guardian extracted from the scientific journal Addiction. It concludes that there is more than simply a link or statistical association between alcohol and 7 cancers.

The judgement is...." that alcohol causes cancer of the oropharynx, larynx, oesophagus, liver, colon, rectum and breast"...."there is also growing evidence that alcohol was also likely to cause skin, prostate and pancreatic cancer".

Whats your poison?

starvin marvin - 2016-07-22 9:07 AM

Interesting article in todays Guardian extracted from the scientific journal Addiction. It concludes that there is more than simply a link or statistical association between alcohol and 7 cancers.

The judgement is...." that alcohol causes cancer of the oropharynx, larynx, oesophagus, liver, colon, rectum and breast"...."there is also growing evidence that alcohol was also likely to cause skin, prostate and pancreatic cancer".

Whats your poison?

Coffee, fatty meat, lots of sugar. Perfection at 87. Life is very simple. Expose your body to any outside issues other than the basics and there will be side effects. We are not designed to take man made substances !

starvin marvin - 2016-07-22 9:07 AMInteresting article in todays Guardian extracted from the scientific journal Addiction. It concludes that there is more than simply a link or statistical association between alcohol and 7 cancers. The judgement is...." that alcohol causes cancer of the oropharynx, larynx, oesophagus, liver, colon, rectum and breast"...."there is also growing evidence that alcohol was also likely to cause skin, prostate and pancreatic cancer".Whats your poison?

Positive correlation is often claimed to indicate cause and effect when the claim is fanciful and baseless.

There was a strong positive correlation over a period of time in the nineteenth century in Scotland between the increasing number of Methodist ministers and the increasing number of problem drinkers.  Unfortunately no-one could work out whether the increasing demand for ministers stemmed from the increase in problem drinkers in the community or an increase in the number of ministers drove more people to take to drink.

StuartO - 2016-07-22 5:22 PM
starvin marvin - 2016-07-22 9:07 AMInteresting article in todays Guardian extracted from the scientific journal Addiction. It concludes that there is more than simply a link or statistical association between alcohol and 7 cancers. The judgement is...." that alcohol causes cancer of the oropharynx, larynx, oesophagus, liver, colon, rectum and breast"...."there is also growing evidence that alcohol was also likely to cause skin, prostate and pancreatic cancer".Whats your poison?

Positive correlation is often claimed to indicate cause and effect when the claim is fanciful and baseless.

There was a strong positive correlation over a period of time in the nineteenth century in Scotland between the increasing number of Methodist ministers and the increasing number of problem drinkers.  Unfortunately no-one could work out whether the increasing demand for ministers stemmed from the increase in problem drinkers in the community or an increase in the number of ministers drove more people to take to drink.

Was there really? The 19th C is certainly not the 21st C, if I say so that's a a pretty puerile comparison to make, but hey ho its your life, cut it short if you wish, that's up to you. I was not suggesting folks stop drinking, I thinks it boils down to making a decision when and how much you choose to drink, whether the risk to your health is worth it.We all pretty much accept smoking generally shortens peoples lives. The risk is which cigarette is the trigger for say lung cancer, is it the 5,000th or the 10,000th fag that tips you over the edge? It will be very much the same with alcohol consumption. Moderation may be the key, but we're not all the same, depends on your view of risk.I used to smoke, gave it up decades ago, however I enjoyed smoking. At my advanced years I could probably start smoking again and not significantly shorten my life, but I choose not to. However I have chosen for a variety of reasons to reduce my alcohol consumption to much less than the official guidance, again its my choice. It appears to help with my ability to keep running, I'm probably wearing my knees out now at a much faster rate!

There's also the thought that "duty free" might reappear as a real saving !!

There's also the report today that Aussie and N Zealand wine has something like a 32% income duty on it to protect the French (and other EU wine interests) at present. Post Brexit that import tax ought to disappear !!

cheers alan

No way your Govt will reduce the tax on our wine. They are always quick to add a tax but very slow to remove any income stream. Besides you may buy too much with a price reduction and then there will be less for AU motorhomers to consume. By the way alcohol is a trigger for my gout but so is a lack of water consumption per day and lots of other foods. I think I will continue to support the local wine industry. I also support the Scottish malt growers - seems fair to support both UK & AU! cheers,

alan k - 2016-07-25 7:36 PM

There's also the thought that "duty free" might reappear as a real saving !!

There's also the report today that Aussie and N Zealand wine has something like a 32% income duty on it to protect the French (and other EU wine interests) at present. Post Brexit that import tax ought to disappear !!

cheers alan

I think you meant to say “32% import duty". There’s an article about this here

http://tinyurl.com/jdondnw

Archived