Any Burstner owners with damp ingress to the floor.

Noody

I have done a lot of searching and can't find any reference to a problem that I know exists in the Elegance.

Rain water tracks through the trim strip between the the main body panels and the skirt, eventually the steel screws rot and the water then tracks through the screw holes and into the floor. In two places on my van so far.

Last year I did a big rip-out and rebuild, right now I'm doing another. It's a difficult one.

We had an Elegance A Class a few years ago and rain water was actually getting in around the n/s door trim. It caused a bad damp patch in the lower wall and worked along the floor. I wonder if the same could be happening to yours. The only way that Burstner could stop it, after several attempts, was to fit a cover over the outside to the door.

Ron

No, it wasn't the door trim though initially I had thought it was because the foot we'll always filled with water, I proved the door trim wasn't the problem so took away the seating/storage furniture. The lower wall showed an increase in moisture so I started cutting into the floor and lower wall,panel.

Eventually I had cut away a three foot section and proved rain was getting through the corroded screw heads.

I'm posting this for the benefit of anyone else rather than asking for help though any help will be useful.

I question the use of steel screws other than internal fittings, a motorhome should be constructed in a similar way to boats and yachts. All the hatches had steel screws and though they behind the hatch door they were still exposed to weather.

I have met two other Burstner Elengance owners, both had similar problems and wanted to share. I've had this van for ten years and made a lot of improvements and adjustment, mostly essential rather than personal. The nitrogen Rams for the lifting bed for example, original ones were way too weak, most of the furniture is built with lightweight plywood but held together like cheap kitchen furniture.

I love this van. (Smile)

Archived