Are big MHs/Vans ruining sites?

Bulletguy

On tour i use ACSI (dvd) as a guide to sites and for the most part it's pretty spot on with the info. However i'm coming across an increasing number of sites listed as having "Restaurant (ample choice), Snack Bar" only to find they have closed that part of the business down.

OK i have a cooker and fridge but when away the last thing i want to do is start cooking.....i do that every damn day at home!

Vans are getting larger and it seems many owners stock up on Supermarket grub then sit in their van all day rather than supporting the site facilities. As most sites are seasonal they rely on customers to support any little Snack Bar/coffee bar they have but i can't help but think large van owners bringing everything on site is seeing a demise to facilities.

I wouldn't say ruining sites ... causing a change is the more likely. We almost never were attracted to on-site facilities. The reason being that I preferred my own tastes and cooking and as I get older its even more important, we were also restaurant users but most I find try to copy TV personalities and serve up 'Pyramid' food.

That's when they place a hot item on cold salad and then decorate it with even more cold leaves. I can think of nothing worse than warm damp salad, they should be force fed the stuff every day

Yes the sites will change and isn't that why some prefer 'so called' wild camping.

PS One daughter is here today organising a salad but its not for me, I do not eat rabbits food and it has little nutritional value. The unbeatable bacon and eggs is my preference every time.

Are we talking UK or abroad here?  I noticed this year in France that there seem to be far fewer "proper" French eateries and far more chain restaurants and fast food outlets. On site eateries tend to be high season only, when we're back at home.  On the few occassions when I remember going to a UK site with a restaurant on site it was not very appealing stuff - yet only a few miles from where we live there is a really nice site with a big and bust restaurant which serves a wide range of stuff, including a Sunday Lunch Carvery.

StuartO - 2017-06-21 12:30 PMAre we talking UK or abroad here?  I noticed this year in France that there seem to be far fewer "proper" French eateries and far more chain restaurants and fast food outlets. On site eateries tend to be high season only, when we're back at home.  On the few occassions when I remember going to a UK site with a restaurant on site it was not very appealing stuff - yet only a few miles from where we live there is a really nice site with a big and bust restaurant which serves a wide range of stuff, including a Sunday Lunch Carvery.

From my friend living in France, says that the cost of everything has gone up a lot!! I think thats why so many have started to holiday in Spain now! They are coming over to stay to-morrow , and intend to shop at our large Tesco , before boarding the ferry home on Sunday. Also made an appointment to see optician , as can not get one in France for 6 months!!Can't blame that on BREXIT!!!

Will86 - 2017-06-21 12:03 PM

I wouldn't say ruining sites ... causing a change is the more likely.

Yes that's maybe a more appropriate term. One place i was on, two huge M.A.N rv's pulled on both with elderly couples in their 70's. Parked up, hooked up, whizzed the sat dish round.....and never came outside the van again.

StuartO - 2017-06-21 12:30 PM

Are we talking UK or abroad here? 

Abroad. I've been touring around the Baltic states and just amazed how few sites have as much as a Snack/coffee bar. One i set the co-ords for yesterday has closed down entirely even though it's listed by ACSI. No problem though, another 50 mile to the next brought me to a superb site in Latvia......cracking Restaurant with full menu open from early morning till late evening. Bogs 'n shower facilities are also immaculate and finished to a very high standard.

The problem in Lithuania is roadside cafes/coffee bars are virtually non-existent and the only places to get a quick snack or coffee is at fuel stations.

I don't think the demise of restaurants/cafes is anything to do with the size of a Motorhome but is likely more to do with the quality of the fayre.

Being equally controversial as the OH, perhaps it's small vans that are the cause as those with bigger ones can more afford the prices. 8-) >:-)

crocs - 2017-06-21 3:15 PM

I don't think the demise of restaurants/cafes is anything to do with the size of a Motorhome but is likely more to do with the quality of the fayre.

Being equally controversial as the OH, perhaps it's small vans that are the cause as those with bigger ones can more afford the prices. 8-) >:-)

Hhmm......not from what i've been experiencing. A few days back i was in Tallinn on the harbour parking. Either side of me, large cb's (one tag axle job). I'm at the Restaurant every day whilst i never saw either of the "neighbours". Three young Swiss and an Austrian lad rock up in old 4x4's returning from Murmansk and they were at the Restaurant too.

Maybe the "neighbours" with the big wagons were still paying off the finance? ;-)

I don't think it makes much difference wether you have a big one or a little one, ('van that is) I have both. It's easy to cook in the big one and a challenge in my small pop top but great fun but still eat out when the fancy takes me and and I see an eatery/ restaurant that looks clean and well presented with a good menu even if it's eggs & bacon.

Bulletguy - 2017-06-21 5:36 PM
crocs - 2017-06-21 3:15 PMI don't think the demise of restaurants/cafes is anything to do with the size of a Motorhome but is likely more to do with the quality of the fayre.Being equally controversial as the OH, perhaps it's small vans that are the cause as those with bigger ones can more afford the prices. 8-) >:-)
Hhmm......not from what i've been experiencing. A few days back i was in Tallinn on the harbour parking. Either side of me, large cb's (one tag axle job). I'm at the Restaurant every day whilst i never saw either of the "neighbours". Three young Swiss and an Austrian lad rock up in old 4x4's returning from Murmansk and they were at the Restaurant too.Maybe the "neighbours" with the big wagons were still paying off the finance? ;-)

Maybe those in the smaller/older/cheaper MHs are on benefits and get free food vouchers?  (lol)

I was just thinking today that I've been going to campsites for over half a century, both man and boy. In that time we have mostly cooked our own meals, from the days of my grand parents caravan, to tenting, to living in a tourer, to now our PVC, we do occasionally visit onsite restaurants but we've never chosen a site because of a onsite restaurant, in fact we consider it a point against as often it indicates a large noisy site.

Archived