Athens airport Motorhome parking?

JeffersonCampervan

Adiebt - 2019-09-18 3:44 AMI will be at the airport in October , I’ll ask for you , what’s the van height , u picking up or parking ?

Thanks! The Hymer is 2.9m high. I'll be picking her up in December, dropping her off in January. When I pick her up I like to park and go in, but not necessary. We do it this way often - I fly from Toronto to Amsterdam , often with the dog, drive to our destination country and then pick her up at the airport. I've picked her up at Amsterdam. Frankfurt, Lisbon, Porto, Casablanca, Sevilla, Barcelona and Paris airports. Some are very easy, others basically impossible. 

spirou - 2019-09-17 10:57 PMFrom what I can tell on streetview there is a height restriction, but not a terribly low one, on long/short term parking lot. Airports don't usually make it a problem.

I couldn't find Google Streetview and satellite is blurred out. After I read your post I went back to Google maps and found one non-official streetview segment attached to one of the P2 labels on the map. Looking at it, it seems the entry is high enough, but a red flag is the absence of any vehicles larger than a car being parked in P1 or P2 - not even a Sprinter van. 

• 2 months later...
Thanks everyone for weighing in! I'm at the airport now. The height barrier for P1 is 3.3m, so my Hymer B654 slipped in easily. Easy double tandem parking spots for length at the far end near the motorcycle section. Looks like no height barriers at arrivals, so I think I could've just stopped and picked her up. Gentleman that I am, I opted to pay for parking and meet her inside  

Drove there in a Reliant in 1980 all the way down the coast and around Albania. All of 850cc and all the locals couldn't get over that the car was made of fibre glass(plastico). Only saw a handful of GB vehicles mostly trucks. Flat out at 42 mph with yellow headlghts from driving through France.

Back to 2019 now.

JeffersonCampervan - 2019-12-11 3:07 PM

Thanks everyone for weighing in! I'm at the airport now. The height barrier for P1 is 3.3m, so my Hymer B654 slipped in easily. Easy double tandem parking spots for length at the far end near the motorcycle section. Looks like no height barriers at arrivals, so I think I could've just stopped and picked her up. Gentleman that I am, I opted to pay for parking and meet her inside  

Hi Frank. I was late to this (later then I'd thought!) so before I'd seen your post of today's date, I'd just managed to penetrate Google Earth down to ground level, found short term P1, looked at the entrance canopy, couldn't see an indicated height, but thought it looked marginal, so decided to look at short term P2, which is a bit further up the road.

Short term P2 appears to have a higher canopy at the entrance (I suspect because it isn't half under an overbridge), and seems somewhat less popular, so more spaces. GPS for the entrance is N37.937235 E23.946716 - should you need it, and if you don't already have it! :-)

Where are you heading?

On our experience from 2010, watch out for pickpockets and bag dippers on the Athens metro, especially when entering exiting stations, and also just distraction picking/dipping. Very slick gangs were working. One stopped us and asked for the Acropolis and, by the time I'd indicated that I didn't know, Carole's "sac a dos" bag had been dipped, as became obvious after I spotted that it was unzipped! I know: bombs in the same craters - but it may save you an annoyance.

Archived