August overnight(s) stop near Goodwood/Chichester

laimeduck

My wife & I have been invited to a wedding at Goodwood House on Friday 14th August 2020.

We have our Benimar 7.3m motorhome and are looking for pitches (ideally with EHU) for Fri & Sat nights 14th & 15th August. The pitch must preferably be within a reasonable taxi ride of Goodwood House.

We don't often use the motorhome in the UK and so are are not club members. Are any of the club sites or CL's in this area open to non-members?

I have done a fair bit of research, but am struggling to find anything - it's high season and in a very popular area. I have emailed one possible site but the office is shut until February.

I am not a Britstops member but would be willing to join if I knew there were places near Goodwood. Can anyone advise on this?

I'll be grateful for any suggestions

Jeremy

Concierge camping are not far from Goodwood (by cab) but is very expensive they are at West Ashling PO18 8DL or you could try Wicks farm West Wittering PO20 8QE. also check this area for other sites which should be able to get a taxi to Goodwood.

Thanks to all who have made suggestions.

I have looked at The Goodwood estate sites but they are only open when there is an official function.

Similarly I looked at Concierge Camping but as you say eyewatering prices.

The one that looks most positive is The Partridge at Singleton so thanks if you suggested that and there is one other pub within range on the campercontact site.

A nice pub breakfast in the morning after the night before sounds just the job!

Thanks again

Jeremy

The Spotted Cow in Huston might be an option?

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=30930

Its a short distance south of the A27 and very close to Chichester. Might be an easier place to get a taxi to/from Goodwood? I go past it quite often and have seen motorhomes in the car park. It may be in the process of changing hands as there was a 'business opportunity' sign up a mont or so ago, so probably worth a call first.

I think it would be better if you can still try to find a site you can book for the two nights because not many pub stopovers take bookings, as Friday and Saturdays are when they are very busy and may not have space to spare in their car parks.

You may be a bit further away from the venue regarding the cab costs,but this must be better than leaving it to chance at a very busy period.

Billggski - 2019-12-18 10:13 AM

I agree, I have stopped at the Partridge, but it's a small, tight turning car park and very full at weekends. Especially if there's an event on. Great hosts and a good menu.

If you drive in and find no spaces you have to back out into a narrow lane.

Buddy & Bill - thanks for this knowledge.

I still might try the Partridge - but arrive on the Friday morning and have lunch there, stay the Friday night, breakfast the Saturday morning, then leave. With a bit of luck we should then be able to secure a parking space. I have no great desire to stay 2 nights - it was simply that it is about 3-4 hrs drive from home.

Truth be known I don't really want to go but I volunteer at Aero Legends at Headcorn Airfield and it's the boss's wedding! So I feel duty bound to at least try & find accomodation!

Thanks

Jeremy

Jeremy, we are 8.3m and turned round before parking so were able to drive straight out the next day. Also the Partridge has a field at the back which can be used as extra parking if they are very busy. The access is a bit tight, and the sat nav bought us in on the tight entrance with lowish trees and at 3.5m high we touched them, the other entrance is easier with no low trees, just a narrowish entrance.

Billggski - 2019-12-18 1:26 PM

OK, good choice.

Ring Sarah on 01243 811251 and say "duvetman" recommended them to you.

It's next to the Downland Museum where they record the Repair Shop on BBC, and you see the crew in there in the summer.

Bill & Ainsley - once again thanks!

I'll phone Sarah and see what she says.

It's also close enough to Goodwood house to cycle there on our electric bikes (if the weather is OK)

Or I might be able to cadge a lift with Richmond? - I always was a dreamer!

Jeremy

Archived