Autocruise Sarasota

Tiny Tim

We have finally taken the plunge and bought our first motorhome since parting with our beloved Bedford CF Autosleeper a good 20 years ago! We have bought a 2006 Autocruise Sarasota, Peugeot 2.8 HDI (low profile 4 berth version) which ticked all of our boxes and then some.

Having looked on the interweb, I can find little detail on this model although - and I may be wrong here, I think that it was discontinued when Autocruise merged with Swift.

Are there any other Sarasota owners out there that can pass on their experiences, all would be welcome

Tim

Hello Tim,

Welcome to 'proper' Autocruise ownership. :-D

I have a 2006 Starblazer; about the same size as your Sarasota but with a fixed bed in the rear.

The Sarasota seems to be fairly rare. I have seen a few ( or I may have seen one several times :-D ).

Those I have seen have the front 'highroof' overcab bed. A dealer at the recent Stratford show had one of those for sale and I took the opportunity to look inside. Although i prefer the layout of my Starblazer I quite liked it and it was so typically 'Autocruise'.

I don't know when, or for how long, the Sarasota was available. I have a PDF Autocruise brochure for 2006 and it is not in that, so I think that it was probably discontinued before then.

Some of the features of yours will probably be the same as other Autocruises of around that time although the company did seem to try and make every one of their models different!

You probably have an Eberspcher diesel heating / hot water system for example, either with or without the mains electric feature for both ..... or you may not...........

I hope you enjoy it anyway.

Harvey

Thanks Harvey. I also have been unable to find a brochure with one in, although I have seen a couple of 'overcabs' advertised and one other low profile. I always say that it is nice to have something different and you can certainly see the quality.

We have joined the Autocruisers - are you a member? If not, we may see you out on the open road.

Tim

We too swapped our Eldiss motorhome in April for an overhead cab version of the Sarasota and have tried to get a handbook which shows this version but with no luck. We have taken its measurements but as yet not had it on a weighbridge. Ours is a 55 plate and we think it is absolutely brilliant. We think that they were made for Brownhills as ours has all the original paperwork from them, including a handbook but no mention in it of the Sarasota. We cantacted Swift as they took over Autocruise but they say they don't have any information although they did give us the name of a company that they sold the spare parts to - O'Leary's near Hull. We paid them a visit last Saturday - after finding their address on the internet - as we wanted to replace a drawer catch and its an aladin's cave. Keep in touch

Many thanks for your post. I think that mine may have also originated at Brownhills as it has a 'Suntor' logo over the cab and I understand that that is the name for their special versions of the Sundance range. It is strange that you cannot find any reference when the basic design is very similar to other Autocruise models, still as I said in an earlier post - its good to be different.

Thanks also for the tip off about O'Leary's - you never know when you may need bits!

Tim

Hey Flicka - well spotted. Not only any old Sarasota - that is the one I bought. I got it from Webbs at Reading who had also advertised on ebay etc. I got a first rate service from them as well which made the whole exercise of parting with the kids inheritance so much easier!

Tim

Tim,

I must admit to being a bit of an Autocruise-aholic so I too google 'Sarasota' after our exchange of posts and found yours listed on Webbs' website. The interior photo's were of interest as the upholstery is exactly as in my Starblazer which was built in 2006 and first registered in August that year. Other Sarasotas that I have seen photo's of, or have actually seen, have had a different and slighty more 'old fashioned' style of upholstery.

The suggested 'Brownhills' link is interesting although my Starblazer also came from Brownhills originally but is certainly 100% Autocruise.

All of the 'special editions / dealer specials' of Autocruises that I have seen have been 'Marquis' specials and can be identified by usually a sort of brown / maroon graphics and with a 'crown' graphic incorporated. They are basically the same as genuine Autocruise models but with minor changes to upholstery and some equipment fitted.

The Sarasota layout with its rear lounge and forward dinette doesn't seem to match any other Autocruise model of the time.

I forget when the 'New' Brownhills was formed but I think after 2006. I wonder if anyone there knows about the Sarasota origin being a special for them.

What model is your handbook actually for Tim and does it seem to 'fit' with the features that yours has.?

Oh! I have just rememebred that when I was at Webbs a few months ago I think there was a Sarasota there but not on the sales pitch: maybe that was it............

............ and just to prove that I am a complete 'Anorak' the door in yours is of the type fitted to earlier models of Starblazer than mine. Mine having a longer window which hinges open and the rear light cluster on yours is of the style fitted to Autocruises 'Pioneer' branded range in 2006 as is that shaped name panel in the centre of the lower rear panel. :-D

Harvey

Hi Harvey

Thanks for the information. It does seem that the Sarasota was a strange beast. Mine was first registered in May 2006 and the only sign that it was a Brownhills model - apart from the Registration which Flicka identified as theirs, is the Suntor logo over the windscreen. As far as I know it is all Autocruise although it is fitted with the extras that are normally associated with a dealers 'badged' model such as the cruise control.

Tim

We've had our autocruise sarasota from new. It is indeed a Brownhills special and they got into trouble shortly before autocruise! The only problem seems to be the lack of information. The handbook is clearly cobbled from another autocruise (ours is the 6 berth overcab model). That apart the space, swing wall shower and easy driving are fantastic. Hope you have many years of fun from it.

we were informed recently that Nottinghamshire police were pulling over motorhomes and checking their weight. He was over and fined £120 and had to readjust his load. Do you find your 6 berth Sarasota allows you to carry all you want and still meet its legal load? Does it have air suspension?

• 4 weeks later...

hi tim

we have just taken possession of our 6 berths suntor sarasota ! we love it however we are sadly minus manuals or guidebook!

any chance you could contact us so that we could "pick your brains" as we are still trying to grips with our van!

we are local - in Hitchin - maybe could be arrange a meet to compare vehicles..... we were planning our first trip away this weekend but sadly feel that we are not as familiar with our vehicle at this time as we would need to be.

would be great to hear from you

debs and steve

• 1 month later...

Hi all, a fellow Sarasota owner here!

They are indeed a rare beast, and we have only ever seen one other than our own...when we were touring in the South West of France (British couple!!)

So, we managed to find out a little about them.

The Sarasota was a one off special commission by Brownhills.

They were produced only between 2005-2006 and were made to Brownhills own specification so are very well specified and (as they are real Autocruise), really well made as well.

They should all have Air Suspension to help payload (4150kg GVW)

I have manuals and various other operating documents for most of the components (Heating, suspension, fridge etc.), so if anyone has questions or needs anything then please give me a shout.

I am also trying to find out what the situation is with the original rear chassis/towbar as ours has a large (Heavy) towbar which i dont think is orignal.

Therefore, i am thinking of hacking it off to save weight but dont want to compromise the rear strength. Would be good to hear from other owners as to what yours looks like underneath.

Morgan.

Hi Morgan. Welcome to the fold. Interesting to know that these are complete Brownhills specials. Is yours a low profile or an overcab 6 berth? no real difference as the status arial on my LP 4 berth makes it as high as Steve's overcab and the lengths are the same. I have just taken these pictures of my towbar - I would think it was standard as Steve has the same one.

Tim

Hi Morgan. Welcome to the fold. Interesting to know that these are complete Brownhills specials. Is yours a low profile or an overcab 6 berth? no real difference as the status arial on my LP 4 berth makes it as high as Steve's overcab and the lengths are the same. I have just taken these pictures of my towbar - I would think it was standard as Steve has the same one.

Tim

It would appear that MMM has a server error - so I will post the pictures later.

Thanks Tim,

Good to meet you.

When we deciding on our first Van, we did a weekend of going around loads of dealers and looked at about 300 (!) vans to determine the best layout.

Ours is the overcab 6 berth

We wanted (What we thought would be) a fairly common set-up for a young family, i.e. space, airy, forward facing seats in the rear with seatbelts (2), and two dinette area's - one for the kids to play in, and one where we can all eat, so a U Shaped rear lounge that doubled as a bed was required. Strangely we could not find many at all to fit the bill apart from the Sarasota.

Attached a piccie of ours in France recently

We spotted ours at Oaktreee Motorhomes (Fantastic after sales service by the way), then travelled to Brownhills. When we got there we asked if they had any Sarasota's in stock and it was then that the chap explained the history. He says they are quite rare and quite sought after - good news indeed.

Hi Morgan

Sorry for the delay - just got back from a golfing trip to north Devon in my Sarasota! No sign of your attachment and I am going to try and attach my pictures to this message. If that fails, do you mind a pm? It might be easier.

Still not able to attach the picsd so I will try a pm.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...
Its good to read info on the Sarasota as we too have a 2005 6 berth overhead cab version (purchased in April 2011 from Kingdom Leisure in Derby). We have some of its books but looking at the air suspension readings think we ought to put a bit more air into it. Any one of you have info as to how much and how?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

We have the 6berth version as well.

The air suspension, according to the Autocruise booklet is 1.0 - 2.0 Bar. I have a Kuhn booklet which suggests 1.8

You can access the controls to the air suspension behind the passenger seat, and use a compressor to attach to the nipple.

We used it recently to level out the van...saves having to get the blocks out, we just whacked it up to 5Bar

Good luck

Hi Thirtle26 and Oxford Morgan! Sorry for my delay in replying to Thirtle's message, but I have been just got back from a couple of weeks in Wales with our 4 berth. I was interested in the possibility of using the air suspension to do the levelling - is the system up to the job? Be great if it is. Happy camping.

Archived