Autoquest 196 Boxer

niktam

I don’t think you’ve provided your motorhome’s year of manufacture in your earlier postings, but I believe the Autoquest 196 model only began to be marketed in 2019. If that’s correct, then the two images below show a 196’s layout.

You might get very lucky and there will be a forum-member with in-depth knowledge of an Autoquest 196 (eg. where the habitation battery is) and be able to answer your question specifically. But the layout drawings and what you’ve said suggest that the battery is likely to be forward of the bathroom, possibly housed in one of the seat bases or in a floor compartment. If that’s so, the simplest and least challenging route to run a cable from the wardrobe to the battery would undoubtedly be externally in protective trunking along the chassis.

Although it MIGHT be possible to run the cable through the bathroom, if you can’t work out how to do this I suggest that you don’t attempt it as the external route is bound to be easier.

1753413474_196floorplan1.jpg.aa5d2c0faf690722013013f9780d09ab.jpg

441311238_196floorplan2.png.44684c1ebbeccee458602acc6daec82d.png

SEEMS a similar layout to our Eldiss Magnum 196 and I wanted to run a cable from the reversing camera to the B pillar. BTW my hab battery is under a seat, drivers side just behind the driver, is yours the same?

I started by tackling the most difficult bit, as you've found out, of getting it under the shower. Empty the locker next to the bathroom at the front of the seats, not the toilet end, and there's a heating duct running under the shower. Using that high tech tool, a bent coat hangar tied to a bit of dowel taped on the end and a bit of string, I managed to follow the duct and eventually got it through to the cupboard to the space under the drawers. A bit of jiggery pokery and I'd got the string. Then of course just tie the new cable to the string and gently pull it back to the starting point. From then on, just a matter of hot melt glueing the cable in place.

If you're struggling I can sell you my trusty bent coat hangar (lol)

Many thanks great that someone has been there before with the same MH. My new cable is rated at 70 degrees C for the outer and somewhat higher for the inners just wondering how you kept the new cable away from the heating duct? I also have an existing small duct(along the wall)across between the dinette seats ready to take a cable.

As I have an Elddis fitted 100w solar panel and a dual controller(one existing feed to the hab battery in place) so I wanted to wire the other one to the cab battery as the hab battery keeps well topped up even in the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Autoquest 196 2017

Well I've run the cable down the duct in the rear corner of the wardrobe down behind the draws. Using the suggested stick (and wire coat hanger extension) working from under the front lounge forward facing seats it went a treat under the bathroom floor into the bottom of the wardrobe under the draws with a string attached. I then pulled the cable from the wardrobe under the bathroom floor into tthe front lounge.

This method will probably be relevant to some of the other similar modles.

The hab battery is in an external locker under the front (rear facing seats) so running a cable from the rear seats to the front is easy trough the exisiting interconnecting duct.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed reversing sensors on my 196 recently and I run the cable underneath the chassis and through the floor to behind the leisure battery box - I was already outside the chassis at the back though so was easiest option.

I didn't know you could get under the back of the shower as there is a wheel arch in the way. Useful to know for future!

guymartin - 2020-01-14 1:29 PM

I installed reversing sensors on my 196 recently and I run the cable underneath the chassis and through the floor to behind the leisure battery box - I was already outside the chassis at the back though so was easiest option.

I didn't know you could get under the back of the shower as there is a wheel arch in the way. Useful to know for future!

The suggested cable run is actually across(from front to rear of the actual MH) under the front of the shower and in front of the toilet pan. Please see ColinM50's explanation/instructions above.

Archived