Autotrail TomTom

postnote

Does anyone now what the model number of the TomTom sat nav fitted as standard in the 2015 autotrails. Would also like to know if the built in maps are for motorhomes, low bridges etc or normal car maps?

Oh one last question how can you update your maps on it?

Thanks

I have a 2015 Autotrail and the sat nav is hopeless. As far as I can tell, it is the same one that is fitted in the Fiat 500 which is just a little smaller than my 7.6m motorhome.

I have a stand alone Tom Tom which has been updated to be able to deal with motorhomes etc. You tell it the length, width, height and weight and it plans the route accordingly.

The AT one is likely to be dangerous I think.

I raised this with AT and they were not interested!!

You can find the model number of your Sat Nav on the device by going to the Navigation Main Menu ? Settings ? Me and My Navigation ? About My Navigation.

Like you we also have a new Autotrail (2015) and are still groping our way around the system. I haven't downloaded our maps yet, for update, but found some good advice on the TomTom website (http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18867/?locale=en_GB) about how to prepare the USB, etc. They are more helpful than Autotrail, who I have to agree are arrogant when it comes to their customers. Their commitment ends when the cash register rings!

After trying Autotrail, I spoke to Tomtom. They said they could not help and that I should speak to Fiat. After some time finding the correct number for Fiat, I spoke to them and they were also not helpful.

I guess that all us AT owners will probably just ignore the inbuilt sat nav and use a stand alone sat nav that gives all the information we need.

postnote - 2015-09-13 1:51 PM

I have to agree with you, AT have that air of arrogance when it comes to customer questions. Their MH'a a a premium price and as such would have thought they would listen to an owner.

When i read posts such as this about any item/product........i'm left asking myself why buy? Lack of interest or poor after market customer support would be enough for me to take my business elsewhere. When companies don't listen to customers then it's only a matter of time before they become history.

Quite often i contact Autosleepers over 'techy' questions regarding my van and usually end up speaking with Alan who knows just about everything there is to know about their vans, is passionate about it and only too willing to help.

postnote - 2015-09-13 1:51 PM

I have to agree with you, AT have that air of arrogance when it comes to customer questions. Their MH'a a a premium price and as such would have thought they would listen to an owner

l have a 2012 Autotrail, which I bought new, and have to agree, their customer relations skills are abysmal, a very premium price, but once that price is paid, without a very good dealer(how do you find one of those ?) you are 'on your own'. Not good enough. They need to follow Autosleepers example, which I also have experience of, different as chalk and cheese.

While I agree that for £999 a more appropriate sat nav should be fitted to Autotrails I do find some of the other comments strange, especially from people who don't own Autotrails!.

I have contacted Autotrail on three seperate occasions, for some internal measurements before we bought ours, the delivery date and a build quality issue. On each occasion the response from Autotrail was prompt, polite and helpful.

Perhaps its down to the individuals approach that solicits an 'arrogant' response.

I'll stick with Autotrail

I DO actually own an Autotrail, and I am only reporting on MY experiences, and dealings with Autotrail, on minor technical issues, that the dealer couldn't help with.

They were very dismissive, saying get back to your dealer, when I had already told them that the dealer couldn't help. They then were rude and ended the telephone call. Not my idea of good customer relations.

Those of us who have had the new 2015 AT with the in-built media system with TomTom have not had any help from either AT or Fiat. They have provided the basic TomTom with outdated maps and no map updates are available. I have had lengthy correspondence on TomTom forum an they say it is a Fiat problem who have bought this basic package. Fiat (Italy) contacted me and their customer services have been as helpful as they can be but are relying on the factory to see if updates can be made available.

To date I have had no joy with this issue but Fiat did send me a service voucher as a goodwill gesture for my perseverance in trying to get something done. I haven't 'held my breath' for a solution but use my trusty old Garmin as my preferred choice of satnav - not the best answer though when we have paid quite a lot of money for this media system though. Fiat MH owners are not the only ones who have this issue as I believe the Fiat 500 have the same problem.

Alan .

I believe the sat-nav system being discussed is the basic “Uconnect 5” Radio Nav” device used in a number of Fiat Group vehicles. Information about it that MAY be useful can be found here

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/your-drive/built-in-navigation/uconnect-radio-nav/#tab:highlights

and a GOOGLE-search on “auto-trail uconnect sat-nav” retrieves some relevant comments

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=auto-trail+uconnect+sat-nav

The manual for the device can be viewed/downloaded via this link

http://aftersales.fiat.com/elum/home.aspx?languageid=2

I have owned two AT's and both have been of poor quality. In fairness to AT however, with the help of a very good dealer (Tyne Valley Motorhomes) they have always been very good with replacement parts under warranty.

I am disappointed to learn that the 2015 nav system is poor. I had hoped that after the disaster of their last audio pack circa 2013 that they had improved, but alas it seems not to be the case. I am now in the market for my next MH but as they say twice bitten third time shy.

I sum up AT as follows. They are great to look at, beautiful in fact, but as the old Yorkshire saying goes, they are "all fur coats but no knickers".

I too have the “Uconnect 5” Radio Nav" and find the satnav component a great disappointment. I had imagined that I would be able to upgrade the basic facilities available but that appears not to be the case. I can't even upgrade the outdated maps on it as no update is available. I can understand why AT have little to do with the unit as it is a base vehicle component rather than something they have added and surely the support for it should either come from Fiat or possibly Tom Tom themselves. Unfortunately, as already stated, Fiat do not appear interested, and presumably the contract agreed with Fiat negates Tom Tom from having any involvement whatsoever.

Contrast this with a Suzuki Swift car I have just purchased which has an in-built Garmin based satnav system. Two emails to Garmin answered within 24 hours explaining in detail how to upgrade the maps and also how to add "Traffic" to the system for a "lifetime" fee.

I notice that TomTom commented on this issue 10 months ago

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/built-car-navigation-25/brand-new-autotrail-motorhome-with-tomtom-car-version-bizzarely-884679

For what it’s worth Pioneer offers the Navi-Truck navigation device that’s dashboard-integrated and allows vehicle dimensions to be specified. It’s a Rapido option

http://www.rapido-motorhome.co.uk/guide_equipements_optionnels.php

but I’ve no idea how well it works.

My 2015 Rapido has a less complex Pioneer unit that omits sat-nav but does include the ability to display an image from a rear-view camera. I don’t like this device one bit, but I’ll probably live with it rather than fit a separate rear-view monitor (which was my initial intention). Given the complexity of my non-sat-nav Pioneer unit and it’s central position in the Ducato - a lot further away from the driver’s eye-line than in a car - there’s no way I‘d opt for the sat-nav version.

After my experiences with the 2012 Media system in my Autotrail, and (I found) useless inbuilt Sat-Nav, and now reading about the shortcommings of the 2015 Tom Tom offering, I am now confirmed as NEVER getting any vehicle that has a 'Built in' Sat Nav, They are obsolete before the vehicle leaves the forecourt, because of cost cutting, they are usually the cheapest model with the worst back-up and upgrading capability. Far far better to get the very latest standalone model, with preferably lifetime map upgrades and software stability, I have a Tom Tom 1005 camper edition, with lifetime UK map upgrades, which suits us fine. But Garmin and others all have their devotees, DONT BUY AN INBUILT SAT-NAV !! about as good as an 8-track cartridge stereo unit !! (remember them !).

A thought ? what happens when a 'novice' Motorhome Driver, following the route advice from their (Fiat 500/Autotrail Sat -Nav) Takes their new Autotrail under a 2.5 metre high Railway Bridge, and rips the roof off ?? Yes, the driver should be vigilant, but to my mind, Autotrail are also culpable. After all the 'New' Driving test includes following the instructions from a Sat-Nav !!

There have been several cases recently of diverted buses losing their top deck, with passengers injured.

Ray

Th following link is to a quite recent relevant discussion on the TomTom website

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/built-car-navigation-25/uconnect-tomtom-radiosat-nav-map-update-issue-on-new-march-2015-fiat-ducato-based-motorhome-976503

The situation is apparently exactly as AlanS advised in his posting of 17 September 2015 4:02 PM - the Uconnect sat-nav units being fitted to new Ducatos and other Fiat models have 2013 maps and no map updates (free or purchased) are currently available.

Although this thread has focused on Auto-Trail vehicles, it’s worth highlighting that exactly the same Uconnect radio/sat-nav unit is being fitted as standard to other manufacturers’ Ducato-based motorhomes.

It seems like I may have been fortunate that Fiat/Auto-trail/Tom Tom did not have current spec map software for the Australian delivered ATs. Mine was from the first run of 2015 models and nobody in the AT network here knew that the advertised inbuilt GPS had been deleted. The dealer ,to his credit, was so embarrassed he supplied the GPS I asked for, a Tom Tom GO60 with a big screen & lifetime maps. It is excellent except that I need to remove it from the windscreen every time we close the blinds at night. Then yesterday while browsing the new supply partners listing on this website I came across the "CD Slot mount", a mounting bracket that uses the CD opening to mount the GPS. If it fits and it looks like it does it will be in an ideal position just above the inbuilt dash screen. That location will probably not be subjected to the sun glare that currently exists when installed on the windscreen. As previously noted by Alan S and others the current Fiat Ducato speedo is almost impossible to read in daylight so I will have solved several problems with this setup as the Tom Tom shows current speed and current position speed limit. That will no doubt save me a few speeding fines, hopefully enough to pay for the new set of Michelins for the front that have worn out in 18000klms. The joys of FWD but that is for another thread. My experience with two emailed questions to AT at Grimsby has been that they have answered promptly. However my complaint about the speedo poor visibility was answered with "we have not come across that problem before"! Typical corporate response. So if the CD mounting system is as good as it appears problem solved.

Cheers Gary.  

Gary

If this is the product you have seen

http://www.cdslotmount.com/

I suggest a degree of caution.

There are quite a few sat-nav/phone holders that plug into a vehicle radio’s CD slot, but their sultability will depend on the type of vehicle involved and the design of the sat-nav.

The CD Slotmount advert shows a TomTom sat-nav mounted via the Slotmount’s own “Sat Nav Holder” and TomTom’s “Easyport” mount. The GO60 is a substantial 6”-screen device and, if you are contemplating attaching yours via the method shown in the advert, there’s a fair chance you’ll hit vibration problems. It might be OK in your average car, but a Ducato motorhome’s suspension is far less forgiving.

As I said in my 1 August 2015 4:35 PM posting here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/She-no-flip-up-/39021/

I’ve glued the mounting bracket of my Garmin 5” sat-nav to the top of my Ducato’s hinge-up ‘book-rest’. The Garmin has a very reflective screen and sun-glare is occasionally a nuisance, but this is still the best position for the sat-nav for me and - like you - I use it as a speedometer substitute. I have noticed that, despite the Garmin’s mount being securely attached to the book-rest, rough roads do transmit vibration to the sat-nav itself - not enough to cause me concern but enough to make me wonder what the effect would be if the CD Slotmount arrangement were employed.

And I bought a CD Slot Mount thinking it would be the answer to my mounting problem but unfortunately it doesn't work in the Panasonic removable front radio in our MH or even in our 2 other everyday cars (both Fords with factory fit radios).

So in short a complete waste of money and now residing in the bottom of my 'Junk' cupboard.

The only one comment I will make is that the 'ball' used in the CD SM is exactly the same size as that on a Garmin so this may prove useful info to some one (just not me!).

Keith.

Archived