Battery readings on instrument panel

Thai Bry

Prior to me hooking up the main cable to my motorhome, I checked the readings and state of the batteries.
Leisure batteries were showing at 99% with 14.2 & 14.3 readings for the both leisure & van battery.
Hooked the van up to the mains, and turned the fridge on, so that it pre-cooled and was ready for our next short trip.
Checked the following day, and the freezer compartment was ice cold as you would expect, main fridge compartment was also cold.
On leaving the van, i decided to check the control panel above the Hab door, and got the following readings.
To my horror and amazement the panel showed that the leisure battery was down at 57% capacity and that there was a drain of 50 Amps!!
Yet the van battery reading was at 13.9 V and like wise for the leisure battery.
When i unhooked the mains cable - the drain was down to less than 0.2 amps.
I do have solar panels on my van. 2 x 100 Amp capacity, with 2 x 100 amp leisure batteries.
Can anyone help and explain this to a layman like myself.

To start with the 14.2 & 14.3 volts you initially read has nothing to do with the SOC of your batteries, it is the output voltage of the solar panels. To measure the voltage correctly you have to disconnect all loads and chargers (including solar) and let the batteries stand for at least a couple of hours, ideally 24 hours.

Second your solar panels will be 2 x 100 Watts output, not 100 Amps. This equates to 100/14.2 Amps for your current. ie ~7 Amps. (Amps = Watts / Volts)

When you turned on your fridge it should have selected 230 volts, not 12 volts, so is your EHU working correctly?

What make/model of control panel do you have? Is it an Elektroblok with the fuse added for fridge to run anytime by any chance?

Keith.

Keithl - 2016-10-25 12:31 PMTo start with the 14.2 & 14.3 volts you initially read has nothing to do with the SOC of your batteries, it is the output voltage of the solar panels. To measure the voltage correctly you have to disconnect all loads and chargers (including solar) and let the batteries stand for at least a couple of hours, ideally 24 hours.Second your solar panels will be 2 x 100 Watts output, not 100 Amps. This equates to 100/14.2 Amps for your current. ie ~7 Amps. (Amps = Watts / Volts)When you turned on your fridge it should have selected 230 volts, not 12 volts, so is your EHU working correctly?What make/model of control panel do you have? Is it an Elektroblok with the fuse added for fridge to run anytime by any chance?Keith.
Evening Keith
Thanks for the info regards my misrepresentation of the figures re my solar panels.
Sorry for any confusion, just the layman in me
The E H U is working correctly as it does select 230 volts automatically when on hook up, and when no hook up it selects the gas option, when I start the motorhome up, it selects 12v operation, so that end seems all correct.
I will get friend of mine who is a qualified electrical expert to have a look at things.
Thanks for your input and advice.
If not, then down to a motorhome dealer to resolve
Thanks again

aandncaravan - 2016-10-25 7:13 PMDo you by any chance have a Schaudt Elecktroblock EBL and DT 2xx control panel, like a EBL 220 and DT 220 for example?If so the Control panel showing -50amps is a sign of control panel malfunction?
Good evening
Sorry for the late reply, been a little busy.
Taken a look at the EBL and Control panel.
The model N0:'s are
EBL is a EBL 101, and the panel is a DT 201
Now that you mention it, whilst away on mail and Europe, we did wake up to a blank panel. I had to re programme everything, such as dates, time etc.etc.
Mains has been on for 6 hrs now, and it is only showing 2% availability ,  so looks like a faulty DT 201 panel
Thanks for your input

We've got a Sargent system in our AutoSleeper. Last time out on site I noticed that the battery was showing just 19% charged and taking no charge. I turned off the charger and ran the battery for four days to test it. It lasted just fine and maintained a healthy voltage. When I turned the charger back on it showed it taking a charge but it stopped doing so at 20%.

When the van is standing on our drive it is powered up for four hours a day to run the dehumidifier but the panel is turned off and the charger left on to maintain the batteries. Checked the the orther day and leisure battery is now fully charged. No idea what's going on and not very worried as we are always on sites with hookups but I have asked the dealer to have a look when it goes in for service at the end of November. I'll keep you posted.

aandncaravan - 2016-10-26 7:08 PMThe fact that you are seeing values which are gibberish and that the Panel has also shut down in the past suggests a failing DT LCD display?Typically the panel deteriorates fairly quickly with more regular shutdowns...
Many thanks Allan
As per your email I've sent you some pictures of the wiring set up with regards to the solar panels and the Electroblok 
Things do point to a failed DT 201.
I've also had a email from another forum member saying a similar fault has happened to him, and sending away to Schaudt for reprogramming 
Many thanks

Colin Leake - 2016-10-26 7:30 PMWe've got a Sargent system in our AutoSleeper. Last time out on site I noticed that the battery was showing just 19% charged and taking no charge. I turned off the charger and ran the battery for four days to test it. It lasted just fine and maintained a healthy voltage. When I turned the charger back on it showed it taking a charge but it stopped doing so at 20%.When the van is standing on our drive it is powered up for four hours a day to run the dehumidifier but the panel is turned off and the charger left on to maintain the batteries. Checked the the orther day and leisure battery is now fully charged. No idea what's going on and not very worried as we are always on sites with hookups but I have asked the dealer to have a look when it goes in for service at the end of November. I'll keep you posted.
Evening Colin
Thanks for the input, we do use the van off grid a lot so the solar panel readings do mean a lot to us.
Just that we've paid a lot for the set up and want to have peace of mind that the readings are true 
Main hook up purpose at home for us us to get the fridge nice and cold before we set off on our jaunts.
Please keep me updated regards your scenario,and thank you for your input again

Colin Leake - 2016-10-26 7:30 PM

We've got a Sargent system in our AutoSleeper. Last time out on site I noticed that the battery was showing just 19% charged and taking no charge. I turned off the charger and ran the battery for four days to test it. It lasted just fine and maintained a healthy voltage. When I turned the charger back on it showed it taking a charge but it stopped doing so at 20%.

When the van is standing on our drive it is powered up for four hours a day to run the dehumidifier but the panel is turned off and the charger left on to maintain the batteries. Checked the the orther day and leisure battery is now fully charged. No idea what's going on and not very worried as we are always on sites with hookups but I have asked the dealer to have a look when it goes in for service at the end of November. I'll keep you posted.

Colin, it is not unusual for the Sargent units with a digital display to become 'scrambled'. A power down and back up usually restores normality. Not come across any other power distribution box that behaves this way, so we assume it is some software 'feature' in the Sargent's?.

Can we suggest you look at the way you are using the charger/humidifier combination as you may be creating a potential issue?

When most chargers start up they go into their 'boost charge' 14.4v mode, often for a fixed duration.

If you have EHU 'off' for most of the day with a 24hour timer kicking in daily to 'connect'' 240v for 4 hours, those fours hours battery charging are most likely at a 14.4v rate rather than the maintenance 13.8v that fully charged batteries would be happier with?

There is a similar issue with some of the budget Solar Regulators when the vehicle isn't being used, in that the Solar regulator will begin every day with a 'boost battery' 14.4v charge, when it was probably delivering 13.8v or less when the sun went down the evening before.

Some will maintain the 'boost' cycle for 4 hours before dropping back to a maintenance charge.

The better Charger/Solar Regs start off at 14.4v but drop to maintenance charge very quickly if they detect the battery is fully charged.

Obviously a higher than ideal maintenance charge voltage can lead to gassing, fluid loss and Positive Plate corrosion.

Archived