Bessacarr e600

royalcamper

Hello all, I'm looking for help please from any Bessacarr owners out there. On my last trip I turned on my water pump and nothing happened. I looked at my paperwork but I was supplied with a handbook for Bessacarr caravans for some reason. In the book it mentions a fuse box and a list fuses but I have been unable to locate a fuse box in the habitation area! Maybe I need a new pump but i would like to know if a fuse could be the problem. Does anyone know if there is a fuse box or where it might be. Many thanks for any advice

Keith H

Bessacarr has used the E600 designator from the late 1990s until fairly recently.

I'm guessing (based on a 2012 posting of yours) that your E600 may be a 2001 model, but it will be very difficult to provide advice on fuse-box location without knowing your motorhome's year of manufacture.

You can download motorhome handbooks/technical manuals (from 2000-onwards) from here

http://www.bessacarr-owners-club.org/info-centre/user-manuals.aspx

It would appear that either a Shurflo or a Whale water-pump may have been fitted, and the guidance on where the fuse-box is located would depend on which handbook applies to your vehicle. (Have you looked in the wardrobe for the fuse-box?)

Thanks for your replies. I downloaded the handbook and it mentions the main switch unit which is in my wardrobe. It also talks about a KT12SM charger/transformer unit which I have been unable to locate. It goes on to say that fuses are for 12v circuits are located in the PMS4 unit which it doesn't describe or inform you of its position so I am none the wiser so far.

royalcamper - 2014-03-26 5:16 PM

Thanks for your replies. I downloaded the handbook and it mentions the main switch unit which is in my wardrobe. It also talks about a KT12SM charger/transformer unit which I have been unable to locate. It goes on to say that fuses are for 12v circuits are located in the PMS4 unit which it doesn't describe or inform you of its position so I am none the wiser so far.

It is extremely difficult to assist you with what, on the face of it, should be a relatively simple inquiry when you supply so little information to work with.

Question 1: When was your Bessacarr E600 motorhome built?

Question 2: Which handbook did you download - what 'year' did it relate to?

Question 3: What type of water-pump does your motorhome have? Is it located within the motorhome's fresh-water tank or not?

As I understand it, Swift/Bessacarr motorhomes around Year 2000 used electrical equipment made by Plug-In Systems, and it seems (from browsing through the on-line handbooks) that two types of system were employed.

One system used a KT12SM battery-charger/transformer with a separate fuse-box carrying 12V fuses (possibly located in the wardrobe) and a separate 240V consumer unit. (You might well find that the battery-charger and 240V consumer-unit were located close together.)

The other system used a PMS4 power-management 'integrated' unit that combined the 240V consumer-unit, the battery-charger and the 12V fuses into a single piece of equipment.

Motorhome manufacturers can put such types of electrical equipment in very odd places. I suggest you open every storage-locker (high-level cupboards, seat bases, wardrobe, under cab-seats, etc.) and check what's inside. Although one might reasonably expect 12V fuses and the 240V consumer-unit to be reasonably accessible, I have known cases where the battery-charger was secreted behind a panel that needed to be unscrewed for access to the charger.

Ive attached 3 photos of (respectively) a KT12SM charger, a PMS4 unit and a Shurflo water-pump (which may, or may not be the type you have).

PLUG-IN-KT12SM.jpg.6b9930b87a9dc1a8c3bc1838398684f7.jpg

PLUG-IN-PMS4.jpg.6addbc528f4d3fa7d73abc5576db1fd2.jpg

SHURFLO-Water-pump.jpg.c4620c55469980520d5f66e31676d1fc.jpg

The 2000 handbook carries a 1999 publication date, so should apply to your motorhome.

There's also a September 1999-dated Owner's Service Handbook that contains wiring diagrams

http://www.bessacarr-owners-club.org/info-centre/manuals/motorhome/9830017-Bess-MH-Service-Book-2000.pdf

There seem to be model-reference anomalies, but I think your motorhome's wiring wiil be as shown in the diagram on Page 13 (headed "E700 RANGE")

This has a

1: a CEC-225 unit

2: a KT12SM charger

3: a control/distribution-panel (KT9M5 ?) that (I believe) allows battery-selection to be made, battery-condition and water-tank contents-levels to be checked, and switches the water-pump On or Off.

4: a set of 6 fuses.

As you have identified the CEC-225 unit, it's logical to discount the possibility of a PMS4 unit being present. It's also logical to expect that (somewhere or other in your motorhome) there will be a KT12SM charger (or at least a battery-charger/transformer of some sort) and 12V fuses to protect the habitation circuitry.

As I read the wiring-diagram, it would appear that the water-pump is NOT protected by a dedicated fuse so, even if you manage to locate the 12V 'habitation' fuses (which would be worth doing in any case) this may not address your problem.

I assume that the water-pump On/Off switch on the control-panel should illuminate when the pump is swiitched On. If that's correct, does your switch light up?

If the water-pump is accessible, you should be able to check whether 12V power is reaching it. Obviously, if there's no 12V power reaching the pump it won't operate but, if there is (and particularly if the pump is 1999 vintage) a new pump may well be needed. Similarly, if you can reach the pump, you could try jury-rigging a 12V power-supply directly to it to see if that causes it to operate.

(I'd be tempted to assume the pump is dead and remove it. Then, when the pump is out, it should be easy to run 12V power to it and confirm whether or not it's functional.)

Hi Keith

We have a 1998 E695 which is probably very similar to yours (great motorhomes aren't they) and there are some spade fuses inside the wardrobe on the left hand side in front of the circuit breakers and the charger/transformer unit.

Sorry, but I've no idea whether any of these covers the water pump. Stupid question, but have you tested the pump itself? Ours has gone chips several times, and is a pretty simply but rather costly replacement.

Hope you get it all sorted soon.

I think that your 1 2 3 4 list is almost certainly correct but I just have to try and locate items 2 and 4. The KT9M5 houses the water pump switch and it doesn't illuminate as I'm almost certain that it did before. I've used the van infrequently since I've had it so I can't be 100 per cent but I think it did illuminate. Having said that the pump could well be gone especially if it has no fuse. It's just strange that it was fine on our previous outing and last time out we had good on site facilities so didn't use the pump until just before we were about to leave. Prior to this however my wife accidentally knocked off the main switch in the wardrobe and I wondered if that had had anything to do with it. That's what made me think about a fuse as we had to switch the main switch back on.

Hi all, back from a few days away (not in my van!). I found my charger and fuse box under the false floor of my wardrobe. All the fuses appear to be ok so I guess my pump has gone. The only doubts I have is that my pump switch does not illuminate any more but I don't know if that is just coincidence

Archived