Bike rack and load

AndyB1

I'm thinking of getting a couple of ebikes which together (batteries removed) would weigh about 42kg. My Fiamma bike rack has a max load of 60 kg so that's ok, but I'm a bit concerned about how substantial the fitting of the rack to the motorhome is and whether or not I'm likely to get problems there. Any thoughts? My motorhome is a 2006 Burstner Solano t710.

I have been carrying my 2 electric bikes . Giant Twists which weigh 21kg each without battery for the last 9 years on Fiamma pro which has a 60kgs limit. Been over some pretty bumpy roads with no issues. My van is a Burstner Delfin. If fitted correctly would not expect any problems apart form it is getting harder to lift them on as I grow older especially when I forget to remove a battery.

Mikey - 2018-07-10 10:06 PM

I have been carrying my 2 electric bikes . Giant Twists which weigh 21kg each without battery for the last 9 years on Fiamma pro which has a 60kgs limit. Been over some pretty bumpy roads with no issues. My van is a Burstner Delfin. If fitted correctly would not expect any problems apart form it is getting harder to lift them on as I grow older especially when I forget to remove a battery.

We fitted the Fiamma E lift and had it fitted by a Bailey approved workshop , I use a cordless drill to lift n lower my e bikes to ground level , great piece of kit .

rupert123 - 2018-07-11 9:46 AM

We use a towbar mounted rack. It must be a pretty hard lift to get them up onto a normal bike rack.

It wasn’t easy and I’m a gym bunny ! Cable tying the front wheel to the down tube helped with the unwieldyness but the e bike lift makes it a breeze to lift n lower . It’s deffo in my top three purchases for the motorhome .

You should contact your motorhome manufacturer and seek advice as to the load bearing recommendations for your rear wall. I was surprised to find mine was only 30Kg. We carry 4 bikes so went for a towball rack instead.

Your 42Kg bikes plus the carrier makes for about 50Kg which is probably greater than it can handle. That's not to say it will rip the back wall off, but its best not to stress these things too much

Archived