Bio Washing Capsules

kelly58

I don't know about the capsules but we've been using Bio washing liquid(Sainsbury's own brand)for quite a while now...it smells far better than the "proper" stuff we've used..it doesn't stain if you spill or splash it...and it's only about a quid a litre..

(..and I believe..from reading on here..that when used in the concentrations we talking of here,the "Bio" bit,doesn't worry septic tanks..)

..although I still fully expect the usual "...if you own a 20-30-40k Mh,then why scrimp on fluids..?.." responses ;-)

Kelly,

Yes a lot of folk, use 'Bio' liquids to mask the smell and kill bacteria, some just have a Sog system.

I prefere to use Elsan Blue, mainly because I am 'Finicky' about viruses and germs (my Daughter is a Micro-Biologist and tells me 'Scare Stories'). Nothing to do with cost, Elsan is the only one with a 'british standard' certification. thats why i use it, The Granules are good too, and take up less room.

Regards Ray

Formil Biological super concentrated from Lidl. 1 litre plastic bottle. Loo's never been cleaner ! And the smell's ok too, not chemically.

And being bio, surely this works with microbe thingies in septic tanks.

Allen

Formil for my loo as well.

Some people use dishwasher tablets instead. If you have a build up of limescale in your cassette, some dishwasher tablets have an additive to get rid of it, so you can achieve 2 things at the same time.

747 - 2012-03-14 6:50 PM

Formil for my loo as well.

Some people use dishwasher tablets instead. If you have a build up of limescale in your cassette, some dishwasher tablets have an additive to get rid of it, so you can achieve 2 things at the same time.

The only problem with using dishwasher tablets, or infact washing tablets, I can see is that they normally need higher temperatures for dissolve completely.

I have tried Bio soap powder in the toilet and as other have said its a much nicer smell, the only problem I found was that I got lots of bubbles when I rinsed the holding tank!

David

Guest pelmetman

Dishwasher tabs in the cassette............washing up liquid in the flush tank :D

Only one thing to be wary of don't use to much washing up liquid.......or you might get what I did once a large bubble when I opened the blade which was like a f**t when it burst 8-)

pepe63 - 2012-03-14 11:25 AM

I don't know about the capsules but we've been using Bio washing liquid(Sainsbury's own brand)for quite a while now...it smells far better than the "proper" stuff we've used..it doesn't stain if you spill or splash it...and it's only about a quid a litre..

We use the same product and it is the best we have tried and we've tried quite a few on our travels. The least effective products that we've tried have been Spanish 'equivalents' so we make sure we are well stocked up with Sainsburys cheapest each time we leave the UK :-D .

Guest peter

You seem to have a thing about Farts, Dave.

That's the second reference I've read on your posts tonight. (lol)

Getting back on thread, we also use liddl's Formil concentrated bio washing liquid. Smells nice and keeps cassette really clean.

We also swicthed away from the Blue and Pink Thetford additives a couple of years ago now - we also use el cheapo bio washing liquid instead both in cassette and flush tank.

For us, it is far simpler to have just one liquid; and it is FAR cheaper.

It keeps the cassette cleaner, we much prefer the smell, and putting it in the flush tank doesn't give the black bits in the flushwater that the Thetford Pink used to.

After a season using ALDi's best bio we are switching to the French septic tank chemical - cheaper and more effective. We bought a 500gm box of Tarax in powder form (with pine essence!) for about €9 at a Leclerc supermarket. I reckon we need one teaspoon per cassette fill which should last us a very long time! Easy to store and handle in a strong cardboard box.

Even cheaper than ALDI washing tablets and the correct chemical for the job!

I discussed this with the Biomagic rep and he told me:

" Both human and animal waste contains so called friendly bacteria that are manufactured in the gut of a health person or animal.

Our product is designed to stimulate this so-called good bacteria by introducing compounds that make them aerobic and hyper active. When stimulated in this way, they become hungry so seek out food in order to multiply and thrive.

In certain conditions there may be anaerobic bacteria including pathogens sharing the cassette or tank. All strains of bacteria, good and bad will compete vigorously for the available food supply.

The stronger aerobic bacteria will out compete the anaerobic strains to become top predator in the cassette or holding tank and will seek out and consume the bad bacteria first so that they have total control of the food supply thus eliminating the pathogenic strains in a natural and non-poisonous manner.

This is the only way to kill bacteria biologically, by using one strain against the other. Any product that claims to be both biological yet kills all bacteria is not really a biological fluid at all but a chemical that tries to replicate a biological action by using enzymes and other inert chemicals or poisons.

Making everything sterile is not a desirable biological action because this will kill anything else it comes into contact with. It is how the non-biological toilet fluids such as Elsan and Thetford products work. You may as well use a powerful disinfectant, which is not good for the environment or water table."

In other words e coli may be present in the cassette and washing up liquid or similar products may not be strong enough to deal with them! You take your choice but be aware of the risks!

Rayjsj - 2012-03-14 11:34 AMKelly, Yes a lot of folk, use 'Bio' liquids to mask the smell and kill bacteria, some just have a Sog system. I prefere to use Elsan Blue, mainly because I am 'Finicky' about viruses and germs (my Daughter is a Micro-Biologist and tells me 'Scare Stories'). Nothing to do with cost, Elsan is the only one with a 'british standard' certification. thats why i use it, The Granules are good too, and take up less room.Regards Ray

Ray, ask her what she thinks of this:

Water treatment plants (sewerage works) rely on microbial biological function to break down human waste before the liquid component of the waste (by far the biggest component, is returned from the works onto our rivers and streams.

If the microbes (including countless billions of bacteria) are killed or debilitated then they cannot effectively break down the waste and sub-standard water (containing pathogens) is returned to our rivers and streams instead.

Once into the watercourses pathogens become part of the food chain, at the top of which, in the UK at least, are people.

Anything flushed into a waste system that is anti-biotic, be that toxic chemicals like formaldehyde, or indeed the residue of anti-biotic tablets passed as human waste, will harm the effectiveness of the treatment plant and contribute to the 'pollution' issue above.

The various 'blue' treatments are just plain harmful to every organism they come into contact with all the way from being poured from the bottle to their ultimate dispersal into the sea. They are indiscriminate poisons.

No one is in danger of falling ill from their own cassette providing they follow simple basic hygiene like washing hands, so why would anyone willingly contribute to reducing the effectiveness of water treatment plants by poisoning them and having them return toxic chemicals and pathogens to our watercourses?

I'm not a microbiologist but would be interested in a microbiologist's view of the scenario.

Incidentally, one of the water companies has just been investigated for returning sub-standard water to a river following an intense outbreak of flu in a localised area resulting in a high level of anti-biotics being passed into the treatment plants via human waste.

crinklystarfish - 2012-03-16 9:55 AM
Rayjsj - 2012-03-14 11:34 AMKelly, Yes a lot of folk, use 'Bio' liquids to mask the smell and kill bacteria, some just have a Sog system. I prefere to use Elsan Blue, mainly because I am 'Finicky' about viruses and germs (my Daughter is a Micro-Biologist and tells me 'Scare Stories'). Nothing to do with cost, Elsan is the only one with a 'british standard' certification. thats why i use it, The Granules are good too, and take up less room.Regards Ray

Ray, ask her what she thinks of this:

Water treatment plants (sewerage works) rely on microbial biological function to break down human waste before the liquid component of the waste (by far the biggest component, is returned from the works onto our rivers and streams.

If the microbes (including countless billions of bacteria) are killed or debilitated then they cannot effectively break down the waste and sub-standard water (containing pathogens) is returned to our rivers and streams instead.

Once into the watercourses pathogens become part of the food chain, at the top of which, in the UK at least, are people.

Anything flushed into a waste system that is anti-biotic, be that toxic chemicals like formaldehyde, or indeed the residue of anti-biotic tablets passed as human waste, will harm the effectiveness of the treatment plant and contribute to the 'pollution' issue above.

The various 'blue' treatments are just plain harmful to every organism they come into contact with all the way from being poured from the bottle to their ultimate dispersal into the sea. They are indiscriminate poisons.

No one is in danger of falling ill from their own cassette providing they follow simple basic hygiene like washing hands, so why would anyone willingly contribute to reducing the effectiveness of water treatment plants by poisoning them and having them return toxic chemicals and pathogens to our watercourses?

I'm not a microbiologist but would be interested in a microbiologist's view of the scenario.

Incidentally, one of the water companies has just been investigated for returning sub-standard water to a river following an intense outbreak of flu in a localised area resulting in a high level of anti-biotics being passed into the treatment plants via human waste.
Reed Beds.I'll ask her next time she comes, If what you say is True, why ? has Elsan Blue got a 'British Standard' BS.2893-2005. And is for sale in France/Belgium/ Holland. and is in use by Numerous transport companies for their Toilets : http://www.elsan.co.uk/As I said, she tells me 'horror' stories of unclean wards in Hospitals, (she works in a hospital laboratory ) her opinion(!) is, it is because 'harmful' chemicals have been banned from use in dailyward cleaning, to protect the cleaners. IE. Chlorine based cleaners, which work, for non-chlorine cleaners which don't work as well. hence MRSA and C diffacill. both Widespread viruses, that can be fatal to weak Hospital patients. Anyway I'm sticking to Elsan Blue. (and washing my hands a lot). Ray ;-)ps She says her main worry is the 'Over-use' of Anti-biotics in Farming where they are used 'as a matter of course' as a preventative, rather than to cure a specific 'ill'. This is the 'Main threat'.That when the 'Next' big 'human killing 'epidemic comes (and one WILL) we will have exhausted our 'Armoury' of Anti-Biotics to fight it with.

There is no-way i'm putting DDT into my toilet cassette.

the midges aren't that bad, and Avon skin so soft keeps them at bay anyway.

For the toilet, i'll just stick to Elsan. Ray (lol) (lol)

And wash my hands afterwards.

I dunno Ray, I think I read somewhere else that you were one of a minority that realise that culling badgers was no cure for bovine TB in spite of the clamour of the powerful farming unions and vote-desperate politicians.

Surprised then that you are happy to settle for the propoganda surrounding fomaldehyde etc (it is, incidentally, being banned /discouraged around the developed world at a pretty rapid pace).

I reckon there's a better answer to the whole additive thing anyway. It's extremely rare that the starfish cassette gets troubled at all. Loos abound when on the road and unless the matter is one of urgency our preferred method involves a spade and the woods.

No chance of smell in the 'van, no need to worry about the cassette emptying chore, and the feel-good factor of returning nutrients to the earth without the economic or environmental impact of treatment works.

Sorted!

You are correct about my stance on the BTB problem:

http://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/letters/9542274.A_recipe_for_clashes/

One I rescued on Thursday, died this morning.After being savaged by a pair of Rottweilers, The Badgers only Real enemy is man though.

As to the wider environment, I am in agreeance with you. But actually despair at our treatment of our World, We despoil our beautiful countryside with Wind farms, While the Chinese build ever more Coal fired power stations, 'Pixxing into the wind' comes to mind. But you ARE right we have to start somewhere,

Even IF Madagasgan Rosewood is still being cut down to make Furniture, and Ebony cut down for Guitar fret boards. I'll change to Green (non-Formaldehyde) Elsan in future. Just to please you ! (and to not be a Hypocrite !!). I'm going to change my Avatar too , Old one is an Old Bedford bus I came across on South Uist. Hope to see it again this Year !

regards Ray

Sorry everyone that this thread has 'Diverged' a bit .

Archived