Boot lid keeps falling on my head!

Kazzie

Hi,

I have a Marquis Majestic 125 (Elddis Accordo) and the rear locker lid just refuses to stay open. I've fitted a new catch (one of those cheap and nasty W5 things which are original spec) to no avail.

Has anyone fitted a gas powered strut to one? I'm getting tired of being banged on the head each time I get anything out of the rear garage.

Any ideas welcome.

Get another catch and fit to the opposite side,..that way you have doubled the chances of it staying up obviously one is not able to take the weight of the door .

Gas strut sounds a better option the only problem is is there anyway of fixing it and the geometery ie length and stroke as well as the Nm loading could be hit and miss factor.

I doubt any of the plasic catch type restraints would hold it in the event of a strong gust of wind.

I have fitted gas struts on hinged lifting bed lockers but never on an outside locker.

I guess it is very feasible and the only caveat I would add is that struts tend to be very powerful and mainly used for assisting strongly built and heavy openings so you would need to be sure that your locker door can take the stresses which might mean reducing the gas power by quite a lot and possibly using one each side to even out the load.

I bought from SGS engineering and they were very helpful and reasonably priced.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts

I removed the factory fitted gas struts from my bed frames because, when closed, the force they exerted was pulling the frames away from the hinge mountings. I imagine that is less likely to be a problem with a top-hinged door, but it may be worth bearing in mind when deciding where and how to attach them.

aandy - 2017-10-14 5:38 PM

I removed the factory fitted gas struts from my bed frames because, when closed, the force they exerted was pulling the frames away from the hinge mountings. I imagine that is less likely to be a problem with a top-hinged door, but it may be worth bearing in mind when deciding where and how to attach them.

Which is why I, on the advice of SGS, bought adjustable power struts and let gas out bit by bit until they provided just enough assistance in lifting without too much force when shut, but do beware as once let out you can't put the gas back in so don't let too much out at a time!

aandy - 2017-10-14 8:18 PM

Am I the only one who, having read the thread title, can't get that song from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid out of my head?

Didnt at the time ....but now youve put it in there ...your right lol :-D

aandy - 2017-10-14 7:18 PM

Am I the only one who, having read the thread title, can't get that song from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid out of my head?

ah yes that old favourite Boot lids keep falling on my head, sung by B J Thomas in the film, and of course that young up start and French smoothly Sacha Distel had a big hit with a similar song. Pear drops keep falling... anyway something like that :-S

My 2006 Autocruise has gas struts for the top hinged locker doors; two for each door.

They now do not hold the doors up and I get banged on the head too. I was thinking of fitting one or two of those 'clip retainers' ............... :-(

Harvey

Harvey - 2017-10-16 12:35 PM

My 2006 Autocruise has gas struts for the top hinged locker doors; two for each door.

They now do not hold the doors up and I get banged on the head too. I was thinking of fitting one or two of those 'clip retainers' ............... :-(

Harvey

Look on eay there are lots of suppliers of these gas struts ..all you need is to get the dimensions and the Nm ..number off your originals Pretty straight forward to replace .

Whilst I wouldn't argue that a correctly spec'd, and correctly installed, gas strut would be one answer to the OP's problem, I can't help but think that getting it all exactly right and having it all look OE at the end of it all, could/would involve making a bit of a meal of things....

(get things only slightly wrong and it could end up tearing screws out or smacking you under the chin or just drooping..etc?)

What's wrong with just sourcing a stronger or a more positive latch type retainer...? :-S

I think a retro repair, such as a added latch, always looks a bit heath Robinson myself, much better to fit new struts as someone has already said. Just measure the compressed and extended lengths and read off the pressure on the strut casing, usually given in Newton Meters Nm and much easyier to fit than a new latch.

Not having seen the end fittings for the Strut in question cant say if the existing end will fit on none OE struts .from my experience the struts tend to come with screwed studs at each end and it is then just a case of transfering the end brackets. I did come across the problem you mentioned when I changed my overhead cupboard struts ...one end was OK and just screwed off the other was a flange (so a bit more rare) so I used one end bracket from the strut suppier.They look and work well if you didnt know you would not notice the different end fitting .

To fit a retainer means more holes and drilling which I would always try to avoid .

this is my Youtube video of changing overhead cupboard gas struts

As others have said getting the right length and power strut that doesn't rip the door or sides is not easy.

We spent ages trying to get the right set-up for Catering hatch hinges on Citroen HY Catering vans.

I guess it would be even harder on flimsier Ally doors?

In the end we switched to a 'Ratchet' style strut. You lift the locker to open and it locks in place. Raise it again and it unlocks to lower. No strain on any part, no springs no gas.

We drilled a hole in one side of the strut to take an R clip to lock it up.

See picture below which shows three angles of the same strut, but one should be sufficient.

They were about £6 each from L & S Engineers or Amazon : https://www.amazon.co.uk/L-S-Engineers-Telescopic-Bonnet/dp/B0051OEYBG

If you look here : http://www.citroenhyonline.co.uk/catering-hatch.php

it shows a Citroen H van hatch being constructed and shows the way we attached it

1219935170_CitroenHvanStrutssmall.jpg.04c90bda412f49fbb788237e3a29c1b6.jpg

aandncaravan - 2017-10-16 9:15 PM

As others have said getting the right length and power strut that doesn't rip the door or sides is not easy.

We spent ages trying to get the right set-up for Catering hatch hinges on Citroen HY Catering vans.

I guess it would be even harder on flimsier Ally doors?

Yes, having worked as a commercial vehicle body and coachbuilder for 10-12 years(my initial "trade") I've fitted more gas struts,(and prior to "gas", the compression spring type)than I'd care to remember...and you are correct Allan, getting everything bang on is not always easy, especially if someone is going to be DIY-ing from home, totally from scratch,and they haven't got a selection of differing struts and offset brackets on hand to swap between, to see which works best..

(even a pair of the same make and spec' struts can ,and do, sometimes behave differently).

..and it isn't just the stroke or their poundage but the geometry/offset/throw of the brackets. As said, get it wrong and it could be slamming shut or opening too fiercely and/or pulling out the bracket mounting screws (if not straight away, then certainly over time) or just failing to hold the flap up out of the way....and presumably the OP's flap would need to lift to as near vertical as possible?

..and what would these brackets be screwed to?..just the inside faces of the side panels? If so, if they do keep working loose, what then?(sure you could bond/screw on a strip of decent timber to fix them to, but that's hardly going to look OE ..and I doubt he's going to be wanting to run bolts through the sides, with penny washers on the outside! (lol)

(The OE gas struts on the lift up bed in our last van, although too weak to hold the bed up, were still bending the OE brackets and constantly working the bolts loose in the steel frame!)

I'm not saying that it is impossible, of cause not, if the OP was having trouble lifting this flap, then fair enough, I'd say get stuck in..but he isn't.

(..and when it comes to vehicles, especially the likes of MHs, there's already enough that needs faffin' about with as it is, without going looking for more...Choose your battles wisely :-D)

747 - 2017-10-17 2:56 PM

I have just been browsing for some Burstner information unrelated to this topic but I came across this company which may be helpful.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts

They do a design service and also offer direct replacement gas struts for Burstner motorhome Hab doors. They may be worth contacting for helpful information.

Which is more or less what I said at the begining!

Oooh those flippin raindrops!!

pepe63 - 2017-10-16 1:45 PM

There's no reason why replacing the existing retainer with a stronger, more positive one, should look any more of a " retro-repair..Heath Robinson" affair, than the installing of a pair of non-standard gas struts, along with their associated mounting brackets.. :-S

you can swop the ends over from the old to the new struts. Or tell the supplier what type of fitting you have. They are a universal fitting and just screw in with a lock nut so need to get involved with changing brackets, hinges etc. I have replaced a good many over the years. Anyway , irelevant now :-)

keninpalamos - 2017-10-17 7:51 PM

pepe63 - 2017-10-16 1:45 PM

There's no reason why replacing the existing retainer with a stronger, more positive one, should look any more of a " retro-repair..Heath Robinson" affair, than the installing of a pair of non-standard gas struts, along with their associated mounting brackets.. :-S

you can swop the ends over from the old to the new struts. Or tell the supplier what type of fitting you have. They are a universal fitting and just screw in with a lock nut so need to get involved with changing brackets, hinges etc. I have replaced a good many over the years. Anyway , irelevant now :-)

Unless I've read the opening post incorrectly(and my apologies to all if I have) the flap on OP's van does not have any gas struts at present....so it would be a case of installing them from scratch..and therefore a totally different scenario than just replacing exiting ones.

Take a photo of the van door open to help you see where the brackets need to be and what shape brackets you need, measure (or guess) the weight of the door, measure the door and frame dimensions, and talk to SGS who will, if they are still as helpful as they were, advise you and supply all the bits you need.

Assuming the door shuts flush with the frame you will need to devise a way of recessing the lower bracket inside the van to allow the door to shut without fouling them, and this in turn may limit the angle of the strut to the door? Where the upper brackets fit on the door you may need to use raised brackets, or screw them to reinforcing pads, which isnt a bad idea anyway, to get the clearance. As your open to shut span is almost 180 degrees you will need quite long struts, and thinking about it, it could become quite complicated?

I would be inclined to talk to SGS first and see what they advise?

Thanks for all your advice guys. It sounds too much of a job for me to tackle. I'm going to look into fitting a second catch though not sure whether this will invalidate my warranty. I've emailed the dealer (Marquis) to see if they have any ideas but, as per usual, have had no reply. The newer model has a different catch, fitted to the right hand side of the boot lid, so I'm trying to source one of those. Anybody know where I can get one?

Archived