Bosnia border insurance

adhple

I'm driving my Motorhome thorough Croatia as far as Dubrovnik, this will require us to cross through Bosnia, and my insurance, Comfort, dose not cover Bosnia I asked them for Green Card and they don't issue one for Bosnia. They tell me to buy insurance at the boarder, but on researching on the internet people say were unable to find anyone selling the insurance at the boarder. I don't want to change my insurance company.

What is your experience in crossing that 15 miles  of Bosnia and where do I buy insurance

Perhaps not the wisest thing to do but when we drove to southern Croatia about four years ago we “risked it” and drove uninsured through the short stretch of Bosnia. Coming north we drove the length of the Pelješac Peninsula and then took the ferry to the mainland, this bypasses Bosnia. It would of course be possible to do this both ways.

From memory the ferry took a couple of hours and was not overly expensive? It was a beautiful evening for our trip and it was alovely trip.

Cattwg :-D

adhple - 2017-06-23 3:23 PM

I'm driving my Motorhome thorough Croatia as far as Dubrovnik, this will require us to cross through Bosnia, and my insurance, Comfort, dose not cover Bosnia I asked them for Green Card and they don't issue one for Bosnia. They tell me to buy insurance at the boarder, but on researching on the internet people say were unable to find anyone selling the insurance at the boarder. I don't want to change my insurance company.

What is your experience in crossing that 15 miles  of Bosnia and where do I buy insurance

The wisest course, as suggested above, is to take the Ploce to Trpanj ferry operated by Jadrolinja. This by-passes the Neum corridor and you stay in Croatia the whole time. It is a small, turn up and go, ro-ro and passenger ferry. The crossing is about 9 miles. If you get Jadrolinja's website, you should find the timetable and fare.

phalange - 2017-06-23 5:19 PM

try searching Neum corridor on google or on here. It's 15km not miles, most people risk it.

Fine, so long as they fully understand the risk. But do they? Is it worth having an accident while driving uninsured to discover what the actual risk is?

Brian Kirby - 2017-06-23 7:22 PM

phalange - 2017-06-23 5:19 PM

try searching Neum corridor on google or on here. It's 15km not miles, most people risk it.

Fine, so long as they fully understand the risk. But do they? Is it worth having an accident while driving uninsured to discover what the actual risk is?

I agree, and here is what I said in thread I quoted above

"That was exactly our experience Brian I referred to above, about 4 or 5 years ago, BUT we were stopped by a Bosnian policeman in Neum ....... In the course of stopping we rapidly agreed to smile broadly and stick our passports out the window. "touriste" he said .... Yes we replied and he waved us on, but it was a squeaky pants moment. DON'T RISK IT ....."

Hi I did the trip about 4 years ago and went through your situation regarding insurance and had no luck with getting cover. After a lot of soul searching about risking it for what is a short corridor I chickened out and took the ferry as previously mentioned. I did not regret the decision because the ferry trip was extremely pleasant in excellent weather and added to our holiday. You do not need to prebook the ferry and from memory was approx 30 euros each way. We enjoyed the drive along the peninsular and even stayed on a campsite on the return trip.

Enjoy Croatia the scenery is spectacular along the coast, you will find you do not require many days in Dubrovnik as the walled town which is magnificent is quite small and easy to discover.

While you are down there you must visit Plitvice lakes national park , it is breath taking.

Enjoy your trip.

This is strange. I have just renewed my insurance with Comfort . On the renewal notification , countries covered includes Bosnia Herzegovina, but this is not listed on the insurance certificate . I have just queried this with Comfort and told the cover is breakdown cover only not insurance.

Brian B.

Archived