Brexit and pet passport

Billggski

The government had just released the latest "no deal" scenario.

As well as probably needing an international driving permit (and it seems thete are two types for different countries), the latest "Doomsday forecast" is for pet travel.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/taking-your-pet-abroad-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/taking-your-pet-abroad-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

But of course it's all in hand......isn't it?

Vets and boarding kennels will be rubbing their hands with glee at the thought!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I assume whatever they hit us with will hit them as well. I don't know how many pets come to UK from the EU. Breeders may be hit as well.

Some people (campervanners, caravanner, and tenters) may be disuaded from holidaying in nthe EU ... spend their money at home. Good for the UK, less good for the EU and Britanny Ferries.

We will be able to re-instate quarantine ... and be selective to who we apply it to.

The main point in the information is that unless we get a deal, anybody taking a dog, cat or ferret to the eu on the brexit date will have to have sorted out the blood tests with a vet by the end of November!

But of course we don't know what the arrangements will be, so holiday plans for huge numbers of motorhomers are up in the air.

And of course the reverse applies, if you are abroad with your animals, you don't yet know if you can get back in!

Whether a remainer or one of the dwindling number of brexiteers is irrelevant.

It's a mess!

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2018-09-25 8:15 PM

Shame on youTracker. Being the largest internatiomal dog agility festival organiser in the world. I visited the largest four times in august at rockingham castle in the midlands. Very impressive. i think that the rules now will last.

Sorry Monique, but I can hardly wait to see the 'largest international dog' doing agility - must be a bloomin great Collie?

Billggski - 2018-09-25 9:16 PM

The main point in the information is that unless we get a deal, anybody taking a dog, cat or ferret to the eu on the brexit date will have to have sorted out the blood tests with a vet by the end of November!

But of course we don't know what the arrangements will be, so holiday plans for huge numbers of motorhomers are up in the air.

And of course the reverse applies, if you are abroad with your animals, you don't yet know if you can get back in!

Oooh now there's a nice thought. Can we get a dog for the forums Brextremist Pelmethead who runs off to Spain half the year? Finally exiled to an EU country!! Oh sweet Karma!! (lol)

It's a mess!

May's coalition of chaos with her weak and unstable 'government' knows no bounds. (lol)

The Asian Hornet arriving in the UK from Europe is a huge risk at the moment. Any funny business from the EU and we can insist that every EU lorry is fumigated thoroughly before it gets on a ferry. That should stop them farting in Church. :D

747 - 2018-09-26 12:22 AM

The Asian Hornet arriving in the UK from Europe is a huge risk at the moment. Any funny business from the EU and we can insist that every EU lorry is fumigated thoroughly before it gets on a ferry. That should stop them farting in Church. :D

Migration can't ever be stopped as these fellas prove. :D

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/natures-home-magazine/birds-and-wildlife-articles/migration/which-birds-migrate/

<<< And if it stops various do-gooders from bringing van loads of dogs into the UK from Spain, Romania, Ireland and anywhere else that has to be a good thing as we have more than enough unwanted dogs already in the country. >>>

Hi Tracker,

Going off topic, so lets not argue about it.

We decided to get a rescue dog, when we lost our previous dog (also a rescue dog, Refuge charged us £45, I think for inoculations, and neutering chitty. Fair enough) The Refuges now want £350, with some insisting that somebody will be home all day, and there are no young children. Spanish dogs, already being fostered in UK are about half that price ... UNLESS you want to choose one while it is still in Spain.

So we decided to adopt a FREE TO GOOD HOME. Wrong! They now come with a price tag, sometimes a substantial price tag. There are an awful lot of Staffies looking for a new home. Checkout the listings on PRELOVED.co.uk

Eventually we let the neighbours know we were looking for a dog to adopt. A week later, a Jack Russell knocked on the door, 5 years old, we would be his fifth owner in four months. We didn't want a JRT or SBT, but our word is our bond. He is an absolute sweetie ... provided you are not small and furry, or make a noise like a squeaky toy.

I can foresee this new regulation, if imposed, leading to a lot of pets being abandoned on both sides of the Channel. This is not an uncommon practice even today. A dog is for life, not just until the holidays.I hope the shelters have more clout than the boarding kennels.

We flew our mutt back from Penang in 1967, so full quarantine as well ... part of the responsibility of ownership.

I was once told that on the IoM, anybody can own a dog ... but you need a licence to own a bitch. ???

I would've thought that when(if?) the dust finally does settle on all this "Brexit" malarkey, if there is going to be additional "paperwork" and/or checks required to travel (be that an international driving licence or check-ups for pets etc ), then folk would just factor in the additional costs and just get themselves organised to get them sorted out prior to them travelling?....

With the vast numbers of UK workers that are working for foreign owned companies,with their associated supply chains,(some companies of which, would've relocated to the UK to gain access to the EU market) "Brexit" has the potential to cause far more "issues" than travelling abroad with a pet. :-S

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-09-25 9:33 PM

Oooh now there's a nice thought. Can we get a dog for the forums Brextremist Pelmethead who runs off to Spain half the year? Finally exiled to an EU country!! Oh sweet Karma!! (lol)

In your wet dreams Bullet :D ..........I'll hopefully be enjoying "Brexit day" in 184 days time in Spain B-) ........

With our dog........who has a Spanish pet passport ;-) .........

Oh sweet Karma indeed >:-) ........

Billggski - 2018-09-25 12:23 PMThe government had just released the latest "no deal" scenario.As well as probably needing an international driving permit (and it seems thete are two types for different countries), the latest "Doomsday forecast" is for pet travel.https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/taking-your-pet-abroad-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/taking-your-pet-abroad-if-theres-no-brexit-dealBut of course it's all in hand......isn't it?Vets and boarding kennels will be rubbing their hands with glee at the thought!

This analysis of what could necessary, if the EU decide to make things as difficult as possible and treat the UK as a Category Three foreign country, certainly focuses the mind.  What a performance it could become just to take your pet abroad!

We're still in the brinkmanship stage of last minute negotiations so hopefully sense will prevail and the EU will do a deal with us so we avaoid this and lots of similar silliness.

Guest pelmetman
W3526602 - 2018-09-26 8:41 AM

<<< And if it stops various do-gooders from bringing van loads of dogs into the UK from Spain, Romania, Ireland and anywhere else that has to be a good thing as we have more than enough unwanted dogs already in the country. >>>

Hi Tracker,

We decided to get a rescue dog, when we lost our previous dog (also a rescue dog, Refuge charged us £45, I think for inoculations, and neutering chitty. Fair enough) The Refuges now want £350, with some insisting that somebody will be home all day, and there are no young children. Spanish dogs, already being fostered in UK are about half that price ... UNLESS you want to choose one while it is still in Spain.

So we decided to adopt a FREE TO GOOD HOME. Wrong! They now come with a price tag, sometimes a substantial price tag. There are an awful lot of Staffies looking for a new home. Checkout the listings on PRELOVED.co.uk

Eventually we let the neighbours know we were looking for a dog to adopt. A week later, a Jack Russell knocked on the door, 5 years old, we would be his fifth owner in four months. We didn't want a JRT or SBT, but our word is our bond. He is an absolute sweetie ... provided you are not small and furry, or make a noise like a squeaky toy.

I can foresee this new regulation, if imposed, leading to a lot of pets being abandoned on both sides of the Channel. This is not an uncommon practice even today. A dog is for life, not just until the holidays.I hope the shelters have more clout than the boarding kennels.

We flew our mutt back from Penang in 1967, so full quarantine as well ... part of the responsibility of ownership.

I was once told that on the IoM, anybody can own a dog ... but you need a licence to own a bitch. ???

I brought a cat back from Gib in 78 so had to do the full 6 month quarantine thing as well........If I recall correctly back then there wasn't a rabies jab?........

So I suspect the worse case scenario is the EU demanding another bit of paper for a fee of course ;-) ......

When we adopted our rescue dog in Spain I think we paid about 50 euro's, and she came with the pet passport B-) ........

Hi,

Way back when, France (and others) did not have quarantine requirements for dogs. What is the current requirement.

I think it is only UK thathas quarantine requirements for pets arriving from the rest of the world. I seem to remember there was resistance to relaxing the e rules for EU dogs ... maybe the land link through the tunnel played some part in the negotiations.

It wasn't so long ago that it took seven months to get a pet's passport. The six months didn't start until the result of the blood test, a month after the injection. I think you could take your pet abroad after the blood test, but with no guarantee that you could bring it back within the next six months.

Whatever, I'm guessing that UK quarantine (but for how long?) will still be a reprieve for pets who's owners have to return at short notice. Insurable?

Guest pelmetman
Billggski - 2018-09-25 9:16 PM

It's a mess!

Dwindling? :-S ............

I've not met a single person who's changed their mind.......despite the Remoaners Propaganda Blitzkrieg :D ........

Guest pelmetman
W3526602 - 2018-09-26 9:32 AM

Hi,

Way back when, France (and others) did not have quarantine requirements for dogs. What is the current requirement.

I think it is only UK thathas quarantine requirements for pets arriving from the rest of the world. I seem to remember there was resistance to relaxing the e rules for EU dogs ... maybe the land link through the tunnel played some part in the negotiations.

It wasn't so long ago that it took seven months to get a pet's passport. The six months didn't start until the result of the blood test, a month after the injection. I think you could take your pet abroad after the blood test, but with no guarantee that you could bring it back within the next six months.

Whatever, I'm guessing that UK quarantine (but for how long?) will still be a reprieve for pets who's owners have to return at short notice. Insurable?

Worry not........

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/pet-passport

"Pet passport and other documents

You need a pet passport for your dog, cat or ferret if they’ll be travelling:

to the UK from an EU country, or another country the UK accepts pet passports from

from the UK to a listed or unlisted country and then returning to the UK - you can’t do this after your pet’s rabies vaccination has expired

There will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens living in the UK until 2021. You and your family can apply for ‘settled status’ to continue living in the UK after June 2021. The scheme will open fully by March 2019.

If they’re coming from a listed or unlisted country, you need a third-country official veterinary certificate if they don’t have a pet passport.

You must bring originals of all your pet’s documents, not photocopies."

Looks to me like it wont be the UK being petty about pets :D ..............

W3526602 - 2018-09-26 8:41 AM

Hi Tracker,

We decided to get a rescue dog, when we lost our previous dog also a rescue dog......

Nice story and only snipped for brevity to mention something you will find close to your heart.

Every year when away i like to take a couple of good books to read and last year one i bought was Keith Richards autobiography called "Life". Obviously he's best known to most for somehow managing to cheat the Grim Reaper, but it came as a surprise to find he's a big animal lover....particularly dogs..

When the band was on tour some years ago in Russia, a small scruffy dog kept turning up which the road crew fed. Keith asked the crew how often the little dog had been coming round and soon found he was an obvious stray so set about 'adopting' him. He named him 'Rasputin', had him inoculated and flown back to live the remainder of his years at Keiths home in California.

If you google Keith Richards Rasputin on images you will see a photo of 'Rasputin' with Keith...along with many other dogs he's owned.

pelmetman - 2018-09-26 9:04 AM

In your wet dreams Bullet :D ..........I'll hopefully be enjoying "Brexit day" in 184 days time in Spain B-) ........

A Brextremist with a pet passport from an EU country? Your hypocrisy is boundless. *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-09-26 2:32 PM

pelmetman - 2018-09-26 9:04 AM

A Brextremist with a pet passport from an EU country? Your hypocrisy is boundless. *-)

Dumb Dumb the passport came with the dog ;-) ........

Do try and keep up *-) .....

Guest pelmetman
monique.hubrechts@gm - 2018-09-26 4:34 PM

No tracker i run whit two papillons. see the left picture the oldest one. In category small. We have small- medium, and large. Like our RV- motorhome. The shelties and collies etc are our competitors.

I inherited a Spanish Papillon from my Dad, it was a rescue Puppy farm bitch, dumped when it was no longer able to breed *-) ..........

He'd already spent a thousand euro's on trying to keep it alive.........

None of my family wanted it so he knew he had me stitched up like a kipper >:-( ........

That bitch cost me all of my 1500 quid inheritance and more :'( .......

But it bit my sister............ so it was worth it :D .......

1-002.JPG.a14bb2b6c05e6b6d6e7fc7393e81e9b3.JPG

Archived