Brittany Ferries Enthusiasts website closes

Derek Uzzell

The Brittany Ferries Enthusiasts website closed down today and the website’s owner’s comments copied below (particularly the 4th paragraph) may be of interest to Out&AboutLive forums’ participants.

It is with regret that after much consideration I have taken the decision to close the BFE website and forum at the end of the month - on 30th November 2021.

Back in 2001, before the advent of social media, BFE was able to bring the latest news and insight into Brittany Ferries. It brought together enthusiasts, travelers, francofiles, and even employees from across the globe who had a common interest in the company and travel to France and Spain.

Now over twenty years on it is incredible to look back at quite what we have achieved together - behind the scenes onboard events (including a particularly memorable Bay of Biscay crossing onboard Bretagne), national press coverage, discounted member day trips, and even helping to restore a route! Lifelong friendships have been forged, marine careers encouraged and of course many beverages consumed!

Fast forward to 2021 and we’ve seen the challenge of the pandemic and Brexit, which have understandably generated much debate. However the number of politically weighted posts and, sadly, mischief makers have made it increasingly challenging to moderate the site whilst encouraging open discussion and trying to maintain a welcoming environment for all.

To the near 7,000 members past and present, thank you for your contribution and support over the years. It’s incredible that over 227,000 posts have been made! An even bigger thank you goes to the moderation teams, past and present, who have tried to keep the website on an even keel over the years. A special thank you goes to Jim - he’s been here from the beginning and has ensured we kept online behind the scenes. Finally, a big thank you the teams at Brittany Ferries for their support and of course providing the subject matter for discussion, without which BFE wouldn’t have existed.

It is my sincere hope that those who have enjoyed reading and contributing to the site will continue to enjoy traveling to France, Spain and Ireland. Keep safe and well.

à bientôt.

I found the BFE forum valuable for up-to-date information based on practical experience, but threads were forever going off topic and the forum-structure made it difficult/impossible to regain focus once that happened. I can well believe that trying to moderate the site became disheartening.

Archived