Bruges Christmas Market

potus4388

Bruges Christmas Market  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bruges is lovely, except when its congested by Christmas Market crowds and stalls selling overpriced tat I have no interest in buying.

Same as Lincoln Christmas Market really. I soon get fed up of taking short steps and ages to get a few yards up the street, so much prefer to go on an ordinary day.

But some people must like them or they wouldn't be so popular?

As John 52 said busy .Very few different stalls ,Gluwein ,woolly hats are the marjority of the stalls when we went 3 years ago .In fact the normal weekly market at the top of town was better .But when we were in Brugge earlier in year there was Major road and drainage work going on in market area.Given scale of work would be surprised if completed .

Would not rush back for Chritmas market ,lovely place in summer.

Its about 6-7 years ago that we went to Bruges for the Christmas Market, when it was all new to us. We stayed at the camp Memling just away from the centre. We visited the Bruges markets several times over the weekend. There was an awful lot of alcohol in the air from the gluwein!! On the Saturday we took the train to Brussels and visited the various sites of the Christmas Markets there as well, it was a good day out and cheap on the train.

My previous van was bought in early December and the annual check was always booked for the Friday of the Lincoln Christmas Market. After the first couple of visits it was all very much the same with the same stall holders.

Tomorrow we're going to visit Harrogate and see what their market is like

cheers alan & sue

Thank you all for your replies.

We are going as the ferry is already booked, what prompted the question was a number of negative reviews we have recently seen online, your comments seem to confirm those!

Oh well, we shall go with a positive mind and enjoy the trip and perhaps go on elsewhere.

Should have posted on the forum earlier! :-(

What a miserable 'Bah Humbug' lot you really are.

Don't take any notice of the others, the city of Bruges is one big Christmas Market full of lights, piped music and wonder. There is a skating rink and a couple of markets and many shops stay open to pick up some Christmas goodies. The atmosphere at night is magical.

Its fair to say that on the whole, the Belgian Christmas Markets tend to lean more towards food, drinks and clothing than wooden toys for instance but still well worth a visit to soak up some Christmas cheer - which is more than the miserable replies you've had so far!!

If you're not in a rush why not travel a bit further afield and experience the wonderful German Christmas Markets. Aachen is about a further 2 1/2 hours (244 km) West and there is an excellent stellplatz situated at 50.761150, 6.102940. There is a good bus service a short walk away (half a dozen stops into the centre) and a huge market selling all sorts of Christmas goods. All the information needed is shown on the site notice board. They also have fresh bread delivered every morning.

Have a great pre-Christmas break.

Good morning,

Thank you very much for your contribution.

We have decided, after looking online, to take your advice and visit the Aachen Christmas market, it appears to be very good and the Stellplatz you suggested seems to work out well with an easy bus ride into the centre.

We are going to drive straight to Aachen, we will still visit Bruge market on the way back to the ferry-two for the price of one!

Thanks again! :-S

You are extremely welcome.

Popping into Bruges on the way back makes a lot of sense. Not only can you see it for yourself but it will also make a good stop before heading back to the UK.

There is an excellent stellplatz/aire to the south of the city with excellent facilities. It’s then just a wander through the park and into the city.

Have a lovely trip.

Barry

Way2Go - 2017-11-17 6:11 AM

the Belgian Christmas Markets tend to lean more towards food, drinks and clothing .

When you think of the costs the stallholders have - pitch fees, travel, decorations, and the possibility of the stock being a write off when the weather is wet and nobody comes, I don't blame them for overcharging. Or diluting wine with sugar and water then reselling it as 'Gluwein at double the price.

But I still can't see the fun in carting it around through all the crowds, then getting home and seeing it in Lidl at half the price.

PS: Then opening it at Christmas, realising nobody likes it, and chucking it away :-S

Visited Chatsworth today, first day of the christmas market here and wife was happy. The house itself is decorated for christmas with a Charles Dickens theme, very nice.

On for the next 19 days. Don't visit at weekends and arrive v early to get a hard parking space!

potus4388 - 2017-11-17 8:18 AM

We have decided, after looking online, to take your advice and visit the Aachen Christmas market

Hi John. Here's a bit of background reading for you with all the details of the Aachen Christmas Market http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/aachen_christmas_market.php

If you haven't already found it, the Stellplatz I recommended is http://www.aachen-camping.de/index-gb.html

Have a great trip

Barry

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the information, I had found the Stellplatz, I used the GPS settings you provided and they are now in my Aguri ready for the trip.

The background to the market that you sent makes interesting reading in advance of tbe trip - looking forward to it!

Thanks again for taking the time and trouble to respond.

Regards,

John

Archived