Buy Motorhome yes/no

Mickydripin

I will be in a position soon to buy another motorhome/camper van it may not be a new one and I am thinking what with all the upheaval about diesel, emissions, Prices, or If it is a euro 4, 5 or 6 and if I do buy will I be losing thousands of pounds in depreciation when the government decides to tell us what they are going to do.

Will it cost too much money to go to Europe as most European towns don't want us unless they are releasing us of loads of money to just enter there towns or having loads of emission stickers on our windscreens.

This I think is a worrying time for Caravaners, Motorhomers and the like when we leave the EU what other obstacles are they going to throw up at us will this be the end of a great hobby.

Or am I just worrying over nothing???????.

Is this emissions thing just a way of governments to take as much as they can from us.

Is this emissions thing just a way of governments to take as much as they can from us.

It seems as though governments are actually behaving responsibly (for once) and finally acting on scientific advice that diesel fumes are shortening the live's of people who live in cities. The tax system is a way of trying to dissuade people from buying diesel-engined vehicles and as a consequence trying to make hybrids and electric vehicles more economically appealing.

michaelmorris - 2017-12-09 2:07 AM

It seems as though governments are actually behaving responsibly (for once) and finally acting on scientific advice that diesel fumes are shortening the live's of people who live in cities.

That is the impression that the government likes to give but in reality they are just picking off easy targets by blaming / penalising the drivers of diesel vehicles which they were encouraging us to buy a few years ago.

As I understand it ( I've not heard of a cancellation ) they recently gave the go ahead for the new cruise ship terminal at Enderby Wharf in Greenwich where a cruise ship " parked " will emit the equivelant of over 600 diesel lorries standing with their engines running for a couple of days. at a time.

( Plus of course the extra lorries arriving with supplies ).

...and how about a new runway for Heathrow with all it's extra pollution ?

There is clearly a problem with air quality but it seems business interests will always take precedence.

:-|

Mickydripin - 2017-12-08 11:37 PM

This I think is a worrying time for Caravaners, Motorhomers and the like when we leave the EU what other obstacles are they going to throw up at us will this be the end of a great hobby.

If you want an easy life simply ignore the lot and get on with life. All news is designed to aggravate you in order to persuade you to keep listening or viewing. It's their business aim and high time you leant to avoid it.

If you ask for insurance cover I'm sure they would find a suitable package but I see no different whether it be a 'tour' or visiting friends anywhere in the UK.

Do I recall correctly that it was Mickeydrippin that had a rough time with an unreliable van and an unhelpful dealer and various converter / maker warranty issues?

If so I can understand you being cautious and I suppose the only way to be sure of emmisions regulations is to buy a Euro 6 compliant van as there are just too many of them in business use to ban them from anywhere? Or maybe not? Who knows?

Having left the vanning world recently my feeling at the moment as we consider returning would be to look for a decent older petrol engined van and avoid all the emissions and comuterised crap that seems to adversely affect reliability and cause extra expense when they do go wrong?

There are several variables to consider, like how deep are your pockets and how much do you want to spend, where do you expect to visit - cities, towns, villages, countryside, UK, abroad, how far afield do you expect to venture?

Petrol engined vans are normally cheaper (and quieter) than older diesel vans, but they tend to do less mpg and petrol is of course more expensive than diesel fuel abroad.

If you just want the occasional trip it might be easier and safer to rent as required, although for me the joy was as much in owning and tinkering and being ready to wander off whenever and wherever the fancy took us.

Tracker - 2017-12-09 4:01 PM

Do I recall correctly that it was Mickeydrippin that had a rough time with an unreliable van and an unhelpful dealer and various converter / maker warranty issues?

If so I can understand you being cautious and I suppose the only way to be sure of emmisions regulations is to buy a Euro 6 compliant van as there are just too many of them in business use to ban them from anywhere? Or maybe not? Who knows?

Having left the vanning world recently my feeling at the moment as we consider returning would be to look for a decent older petrol engined van and avoid all the emissions and comuterised crap that seems to adversely affect reliability and cause extra expense when they do go wrong?

There are several variables to consider, like how deep are your pockets and how much do you want to spend, where do you expect to visit - cities, towns, villages, countryside, UK, abroad, how far afield do you expect to venture?

Petrol engined vans are normally cheaper (and quieter) than older diesel vans, but they tend to do less mpg and petrol is of course more expensive than diesel fuel abroad.

If you just want the occasional trip it might be easier and safer to rent as required, although for me the joy was as much in owning and tinkering and being ready to wander off whenever and wherever the fancy took us.

Tracker, I was about to advise the same thing, but you got there first! There is indeed a lot to be said for buying an much older van, provided you're not snobbish about the number plate.

I'm not suggesting as far back as mine, (1987, but we are Retro Caravan Clubbers!), but certainly something that you actually have to drive yourself. And definitely NOT spawn-of- the- devil diesel!

Will86 - 2017-12-09 2:59 PM

If you want an easy life simply ignore the lot and get on with life. All news is designed to aggravate you in order to persuade you to keep listening or viewing. It's their business aim and high time you leant to avoid it.

I'm thinking along same lines as Will, I have a Euro4 van, I'm certainly not sitting here worrying if it will suddenly depreciate in value.

colin - 2017-12-09 6:50 PM

I'm thinking along same lines as Will, I have a Euro4 van, I'm certainly not sitting here worrying if it will suddenly depreciate in value.

Fair enough, but there is a huge difference between owning a van bought and paid for and contemplating buying one!

Hi Michael, I don’t know what your previous experience of owning a van was like, only you know how enjoyable or otherwise that experience was.

Also, I’ve no idea how you would plan to use the van.

If I were in your position I would look back to the times we’ve had, the places we’ve seen and the people we’ve met.

I’d also remember that I have felt most alive, and fulfilled when I’ve been driving “the van”; I’d rather drive it than our car, but that’ just me.

I don’t think I would be trying to anticipate the life of the Diesel engine in Europe.

That said, I certainly wouldn’t be buying new; and probably would be looking to go the bespoke route again.

As a result of reading this thread I’m planning to do a review of mileage, nights away, and costs over the last eight years; just to better be able to answer your question if I need to in the future.

Good luck, and I hope you make your decision without too much stress,

Regards

Alan b

I will be in a position soon to buy another motorhome/camper van it may not be a new one and I am thinking what with all the upheaval about diesel, emissions, Prices, or If it is a euro 4, 5 or 6 and if I do buy will I be losing thousands of pounds in depreciation when the government decides to tell us what they are going to do.

I'm possibly very different to other users in that I buy and use a product to enhance my immediate interests and having completed that interest I part with it by whatever means most suitable. To me that single infatuation originally thought of has passed. The cost of that exercise was whatever it was, money has no interest for me its there to be used.

Regarding a new M/H, that exciting experience can never be repeated, I see it as hoping it will give the same buzz when everything is totally different.

I've hired, bought and downsized and done everything I thought was of interest ... why do it all over again ?

Mike

To misquote Oscar Wilde

"Buying one’s first motorhome is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Buying subsequent motorhomes is the triumph of hope over experience.”

Given the 5 years of legal hassle you went through after purchasing a SEA Sharky motorhome in 2008 and the stress it caused you, plus your more recent postings here questioning whether motorcaravanning made logical sense and wondering why did people choose to do it, I’m filled with admiration that you have still not lost hope. ;-)

Derek Uzzell - 2017-12-10 12:18 PM

Mike

To misquote Oscar Wilde

"Buying one’s first motorhome is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Buying subsequent motorhomes is the triumph of hope over experience.”

Given the 5 years of legal hassle you went through after purchasing a SEA Sharky motorhome in 2008 and the stress it caused you, plus your more recent postings here questioning whether motorcaravanning made logical sense and wondering why did people choose to do it, I’m filled with admiration that you have still not lost hope. ;-)

People try marriage more than once !!

No reason why Mike should not buy another MH. He will know what to look for now. I wish him luck

PJay

1 I will be in a position soon to buy another motorhome/camper van it may not be a new one and I am thinking what with all the upheaval about diesel, emissions, Prices, or If it is a euro 4, 5 or 6 and if I do buy will I be losing thousands of pounds in depreciation when the government decides to tell us what they are going to do.

2 Will it cost too much money to go to Europe as most European towns don't want us unless they are releasing us of loads of money to just enter there towns or having loads of emission stickers on our windscreens.

3 This I think is a worrying time for Caravaners, Motorhomers and the like when we leave the EU what other obstacles are they going to throw up at us will this be the end of a great hobby.

4 Or am I just worrying over nothing???????.

5 Is this emissions thing just a way of governments to take as much as they can from us.

1 Good for you, Mike, I agree with Derek. How many more vans do you contemplate buying after this one? If you think this may be your last van your losses will be limited to what you spend on this one. What will future governments do? Who can tell? Nearly all commercial vehicles are diesel, and new ones are still being made. There will have to be a period in which they are scrapped, and I would imagine that the oldest, deemed most polluting, ones will go first, by one means or another. Most commercials do inter-stellar mileages, so wear out long before motorhomes. If you plan on keeping your next van for several years this presents a dilemma. Buying a good, but older, van, risks being coerced into scrapping it on emissions grounds, possibly at a total loss, possibly as an inducement to trade it against a newer "cleaner" van, whereas buying a Euro 6 van risks a higher financial loss, but probably at a much later date, as the scrappage schemes or whatever catch up with these. I don't think there is an easy answer to this. It's a case of "you pay your money, and you make your choice, I'm afraid.

2 This has not been my experience. I don't see us being shunned post Brexit. Some may be irritated, but all who I have spoken to on the subject have been sad rather than angry - except one Dutch nut who couldn't work out whether he was sad or angry, even after about 30 minutes of animated conversation!

I imagine the Eu will, gradually, seek to harmonise the imposition of these low emissions zones and their demands for stickers, as they will begin to interfere with the free movements of goods and people to the unfair benefit of certain towns/countries, so a single identifying sticker should become acceptable across all states.

3 None, I think. If we're there, we will be spending money, and commercial interests will soon prevail over the odd grumbles - except in the case of the odd Dutch nut! :-D

4 No, just trying to be logical in an illogical world!

5 Yes, because if they don't raise revenue that way, they'll have to raise taxes some other way, and the other ways are less politically attractive! But then, you knew that anyway. :-D

My campervan is a diesel 1994 AS Ford Duetto and it's my everyday transport. If the 40yr historic vehicle exemption is still in place in 16yrs time (2034) it will be exempt from paying vehicle tax, so good news for me.

Oh!! Damn. Back to the drawing board...... I'll be 88 then.

Look for a petrol 2ltr mid 70's VW camper Mike and save money.

Dave

Motorhomes are depreciating assets and unless you trade very actively, buying at below market retail price and selling for a profit each time, depreciation loss is inevitable, although if you aavoid swapping MHs too often, depreciation is less that it is with big cars.

On top of that the vagaries of the fiscal climate impose additional risk of loss and maybe we face extra risk of extra depreciation with our MHs being diesels.

But you can't take your money with you and most of us will face a big loss when we retire for motorhoming and have to sell into the trade.  So spending your kids' inheritance on a MH is still an attractive prospect for most of us.  I wouldn't get too bogged down in hypothetical estimations of depreciation.

Thanks all for your views.

Yes I did have a lot of problems in the past when I started as a newby and was indebted

to fellow motorhomers at the time, this is what I like about this forum you get a bit of slating at times but that is only the very small minority.

The help that I got was beyond exceptional from most of the forum members.

I hope to take the plunge once again when I come upon my next vehicle that takes my eye but not jump into a load of trouble this time hopefully.

Mike.

Mickydripin - 2017-12-12 12:27 PM

I hope to take the plunge once again when I come upon my next vehicle that takes my eye but not jump into a load of trouble this time hopefully.

Bearing in mind that many people change or sell vans when trouble looms real care is needed when buying used and just as new vans can be a pain in the proverbial, so can used ones!

At least buying used from a decent dealer there should only be one party involved in any warranty issues.

My own extensive experience of buying used is that quite often problems emerge soon after buying but usually they can be resolved amicably and quickly and thereafter vans have always been reliable - but my experience is limited only to to Autosleeper, Auto Trail, and Autocruise (pre swift) whose vans have invariably given superb service once the initial problems, if any, are sorted.

Good luck, and any doubts please say so as there are always a diversity of views on here ranging from the sublime.

michaelmorris - 2017-12-09 2:07 AM

It seems as though governments are actually behaving responsibly (for once) and finally acting on scientific advice that diesel fumes are shortening the live's of people who live in cities. The tax system is a way of trying to dissuade people from buying diesel-engined vehicles and as a consequence trying to make hybrids and electric vehicles more economically appealing.

If the government was acting responsibly, it'd be discouraging the use of all private transport.

Will it cost too much money to go to Europe as most European towns don't want us unless they are releasing us of loads of money to just enter there towns or having loads of emission stickers on our windscreens.

I think you could be about to let worry spoil it all for you. Live for the moment. Motorhomes allow you to escape the routine.

When buying something, avoid spending any more than you are prepared to lose. If you have to ask if it's worth it, you probably cannot afford it.

Guest pelmetman

Its not worrying me ;-) .........If diesel really does become an issue I'll just stick a V6 petrol in the camper B-) .......

That said I saw my first electric car towing a teardrop caravan here in Spain last week .........It was a Tesla that apparently costs about 120K 8-) .........mind you as its 40 cents a KW here........ I'm wondering if my 3 litre Toyota will be cheaper to run? :D .........

Archived