Calais Now

Vernon B

As nobody has posted a recent use I can only say that we used the overnight port parking area in late September and it was as busy as usual without any problems. I can't think of any reason why it would have changed since then.

Why not give the P&O desk at Calais a ring for up to date advice if you have any concerns?

derek pringle - 2017-01-23 9:08 AM

Hi VernonB

the fact that you seem to have some concerns about overnighting at Calais makes me think you should stop at a local site if possible. I dont think i would rest the same around the port area.

cheers

derek

Sorry, Derek, but the only time we have had a van broken into was on the site at Guines not far from Calais. We used this site quite bit when we tried a caravan for a while and on the last time we had bought a La Strada PVC in preparation for selling the caravan. Fortunately, although we were towing the caravan with the La Strada, there were no possessions or valuables in the van as we were using the caravan but the break in occurred overnight with the van on the same pitch as the caravan.

So, sadly, even though campsites are generally safer places to be, it still means being ever watchful.

David

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2017-01-22 4:31 PM

If you have bikes outside on the rear in Calais. You will have a bad overnight sleep.

Take your point Monique but that can happen anywhere. Ours were stolen in the car park of a quaint old English garden centre!

david lloyd - 2017-01-23 6:16 PM

derek pringle - 2017-01-23 9:08 AM

Hi VernonB

the fact that you seem to have some concerns about overnighting at Calais makes me think you should stop at a local site if possible. I dont think i would rest the same around the port area.

cheers

derek

Sorry, Derek, but the only time we have had a van broken into was on the site at Guines not far from Calais. We used this site quite bit when we tried a caravan for a while and on the last time we had bought a La Strada PVC in preparation for selling the caravan. Fortunately, although we were towing the caravan with the La Strada, there were no possessions or valuables in the van as we were using the caravan but the break in occurred overnight with the van on the same pitch as the caravan.

So, sadly, even though campsites are generally safer places to be, it still means being ever watchful.

David

sorry to hear that, we were thinking of maybe getting straight on the train and stopping this side in Ashford. Good luck and as you say - be ever watchful.

cheers

derek

Yes ron that can happen but last summer was very unpleasant at Calais. We were on tour with a large group. Some were taking the channel others the ferry. If you take the train with dogs you have a safe overnight parking private for the dog check in next morning. At the ferry you do not have this. Other group members had problems. Some moved to the channel parking to have a sleep. The police can not avoid and do some patrol. Be aware that Calais is working like a magnet to them as every metro pole city.

Archived