Calais port

carebear

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
carebear - 2016-08-02 4:16 PM

Anyone recently stayed overnight at Calais Port.

Heard today it's €40 to overnight there.

Wondering if this right.

Stayed there many years ago , then moved on to stay on the aire. Now prefer to stay outside Calais, Wissant aire is not far away

carebear - 2016-08-02 4:16 PM

Anyone recently stayed overnight at Calais Port.

Heard today it's €40 to overnight there.

Wondering if this right.

Somebody having a laugh.

We were there a fortnight ago, it has gone up but only to 8 euros on the aire. The campsite has closed down

We stayed a month ago, got there late at night, were woken up at 7 am by a load of machinery starting up. The old campsite is being turned into a conference centre in the sort of grandiose scheme that only French municipalities seem to do. Once the area has been tarted up, I doubt whether they will want a line of motorhomes spoiling their view of the harbour entrance, so I think the beach aire in its present location is doomed. I do not know if the mayor also has plans for redeveloping the yacht basin, which is the alternative parking in Calais, or whether we will be driven out of town altogether. Does anybody know anything more?

Hi Carebear,

Are you talking about the Calais aires or the parking actually at Calais Port? If it’s the port then I know that the port parking was revamped a couple of years ago and from memory it was divided into three areas with one of them still being available for free overnight parking.

As I said this is from memory of a few years ago. Someone else may have more up to date information on the port parking.

Cattwg :-D

Saw the whole site yesterday from the P&O Ferry.

Looks like the contractors are knocking down the old bunker at the front of the site. Rest of the site now levelled right back to told town walls. Just space for one line of MHs.

You can bet that the days of this aire are numbered when you see the new design:

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/france/calais-conference-centre-in-france

At least I think this is the company that got the job!

No doubt it will be an expensive glass and aluminium palace with lots of window cleaning to do :-D

Called in at Calais aire (or at least what's left of it) on Friday 5th August just to empty bilges and top up with fresh water prior to returning home via Dunkirk, the area that used to be the aire is now blocked off and motor homes are being parked on what was the car park in front of the aire alongside the frites van, the old campsite has been completely levelled and only a small part of the old WC / Toilet block now remains, only managed to fill 2 X 5 litre bottles of water as pressure was so low out of the one remaining tap on the bourne (I could pee faster) I was told that the price to stay overnight was €8. No parking allowed at the marina site due to a fairground being set up at the lock gate end of the site and construction work covering all the rest of the site,.

Phil.

We were there just over a week ago and yes the Aire is still there and running although it looks like it has reduced in size quite considerably. As well as ourselves there were around 10 other MH's, it was busy during the day due to nice weather and the beach being very popular and of course good weather pulls people to the breakwater to watch the ferries go by.

50°57'59.17"N
  1°50'38.21"E

1947012740_CalisAire.jpg.b1961b93952a1d3f0738c92571bba70f.jpg

The main migrant camp is now on the outskirts of Dunkirk, South of the motorway at Grand Synthe, close to Dunkirk's Auchan retail park. There are probably also still lots of migrants in Calais.  Calais is a more attractive boarding port for migrants because of the much higher volumes of port traffic; there is only one ferry every two hours from Dunkirk with a four hour gap overnight compared with several ferries each hour from Calais.

Migrant "attacks" on vehicles are not common but they can esclate to a disturbing scale and can therefore become scary for MH drivers, especially approaching Calais for a return crossing because you can suddnly find yourself in slow or stationary traffic surrounded by migrants with no route of escape.  Migrants target lorries rather than cars and MHs but MHs can also be targeted, including at overnight stopping places in Calais such as City Europe.

Dunkirk Port has the advantage of lower ferry traffic levels (so less attractive to migrants) and being located several miles from Dunkirk Town across relatively barren industrial land, so not an easy place for migrants to sneak up on - but they do approach and try to get into the port area, mainly on the commercial side.  Dunkirk Port has had a major refurb with a new Terminal and extra security checks.  People still park overnight in MHs at the Terminal car park.

I would use Calais to travel outbound to France but prefer Dunkirk for the homeward leg, because of the risk of suddenly getting stuck in traffic and migrants on the approach road to the Port.

Well I disagree with the migrant issue has been moved off and they are not visible around the town or an issue.
We have recently returned from 2 wonderful weeks in France which without a heartbeat I would do again, and passing through Calais was not as I expected. We had 3 hours spare before we could process our dogs at the tunnel pet centre, so we headed into town. To get to the Aires on the seafront it was easier to take the port access road, which looks down onto the 'Jungle' as its been aptly named. 
I fully expected it to be gone or the small remains of a much larger camp, but was shocked to see a sprawling 10,000 plus shanty camp of makeshift plastic or wriggly tin roofs. On every junction there were minibuses or vans of Gendarmes and Military looking patrols, there is new barbed wire being erected on all access roads, compounds and company perimeters.
At one of the duty free shops, my wife was warned on two separate occasions whilst in the store by different truck drivers to check her MH and not to leave it unlocked anywhere, even just a window for ventilation. 
We seen dozens of 2 or 3 young male person groups hanging around the entrance to the store or walking casually up and down the dual carriageway. Even whilst navigating the perimeter of the tunnel to return to have our dogs passports checked, we see a lone migrant walking the perimeter obviously looking for access.
Was I worried, not once. Is it a problem nope not for me at all, its all very well managed by the French police and port authorities.
It is a worry that here are 10,000's of young migrants camped outside Calais wanting to come to the UK, living in squalid conditions with god knows what health risks and mental health risks. It could all be ignited and riots could easily develop, then i would consider not going to Calais again, but for now its peaceful but a strange feeling of knowing what could be bubbling under the surface. And I know all these businesses have not put up new perimeter wire because it looks pretty.  

Yes i seen it personally and it was on Friday 5th August 2016 between 1200hrs and 1600hrs.
You can without mistake identify the migrants, they are all fairly young mostly males, walking rather than driving or using public transport. And resting, loitering call it what you may, in odd locations.
Entrances to car parks, under motorway fly-overs and bridges or just sitting around at the main round about's on the entry/exit to Calais.

We still use Calais twice a year in May to June and all of September.. Going out has never been a problem as we are going the wrong way !

On returning we use Junction 43 off the A16 and refuel and restock at the Auchan in Coquelles. Although we have had an attempt to jemmy the habitation door there ! So always park with the other motorhomes as there is usually somebody sat in their van who will keep an eye out or one stays with the van.

As we usually have spare time before the ferry, we drive to the beach aire at Bleriot Plage which is signposted , for a cuppa or some chips from Frites de Nations.

If you set your sat-nav for Calais Ferry Port it will take you across the swing bridge ,left at the mini roundabout along a cobbled road with old rail tracks up to a left turn and straight to the large roundabout outside the port entrance. This avoids the dual carriageway coming down to the port from the A16 where all the trouble flairs up. Touch wood , we have never seen trouble or migrants using that route.

Will be using it again end of September

Although my posts paint a grim picture, please also note i mentioned at no time did I feel threatened or felt the situation was unsafe.

I later added it is a potential 'time-bomb' but for now i would continue to use Calais.

This report dated 13th August 2016, backs up everything I have said, and my opinions were written on my own self analysis of what i witnessed;

This report written only a couple of hours ago, also supports the 'Time-Bomb' statement. 

Sorry to keep adding these, but I need to post them as so many others are saying nothing is going on in Calais, I have seen it and here I am showing you a cross section of the Tabloids who just this weekend are also reporting it.  I stress again, I did not feel threatened, but I can see it is there and can happen at any time. This report is from an British Muslim family, who can not be judged to be biased (anti-muslim, Islamic phobic, or racist).

373826FD00000578-3740080-image-a-87_1471186697280.jpg.57cb0c40bcd8850cbfd7c3669fbed90e.jpg

sshortcircuit - 2016-08-14 10:58 PMNeal, if you believed all you read on this forum, including mine, you would not get out of bed. Last time I came over it was absolutely no problems.

So you're saying the rest of us are exaggerating or are liars, just because you've had your blinkers on and had a clean run through Calais? 

By all means put your own safety and that of your motorhome at risk if you want to but telling people not to believe anyone else, some of whom are providing factual information about what is going on is just shameful.

sshortcircuit - 2016-08-15 9:39 AMNo intention in getting into an ill mannered spat. I presented a picture as I found it and it is up to the individual to decide.

You did rather more than that, you clearly implied that much of what is written on here is spurious, just as you are now implying that others are being or are about to be ill mannered, both of which are gratuitously insulting.

You are perfectly entitled to express your own views as your own views, no matter how cavalier your personal approach to Calais might be, but when you do so please don't suggest that other people are being misleading when they are merely reporting their experience or opinion.

You really are a rude and bombastic person. My postings

"returned April this year"

"a difference a day makes"

"last time over"

None of which implies I have difficulties with other peoples experiences or disbelieve in what they are posting.

Please do not continue with your insulting postings, which appears to be a trait of yours, although I suspect that will not be possible.

sshortcircuit - 2016-08-15 2:00 PM ....None of which implies I have difficulties with other peoples experiences or disbelieve in what they are posting.Please do not continue with your insulting postings, which appears to be a trait of yours, although I suspect that will not be possible.

What you said was (as quoted when I criticised you) " if you believed all you read on this forum, including mine, you would not get out of bed" and in context you were clearly implying that there was a lot of scaremongering rubbish being written and you felt there was no real problem in Calais.  I took issue because you were being dismissive of the real risks being highlighted by others.

Likewise you wrote: "No intention in getting into an ill mannered spat" which I took to mean you were accusing me of being ill mannered when actually what I had done was criticise your irresponsibility in dismissing other people's risk awareness.

I'm certainly critical of your opinions but that's what contributing to a forum is about and it certainly doesn't equate to being ill mannered.  If you stick your neck out and write something irresponsible, you shouldn't be surprised if you get picked up for it.

There is nothing in this post which is in any way insulting.

Archived