Calor gas leak...

harryajh

One of our Calor Gas bottles is very low on Gas and when turned on you can smell gas inside the Van - I'm assuming it's leak in the pipe and/or regulator but unsure which one to buy?

would appreciate any advice?

many thanks

EDIT: trying to resize pics now - wish it said max size before submit!

thanks for that, unfortunetly the Van's parked miles away from us so I can't try the other, I suppose it could be the bottle itself - would be good to know thought what fitting I need though just in case - IF I ever manage to upload a photo - getting -

Request object error 'ASP 0104 : 80004005'

Operation not Allowed

/forums/includes/include-upload.asp, line 51

even though pic is only 80k

EDIT: have to put this on hold until upload issue resolved - no "delete post" option?, emailed admin, sorry guys!

harryajh - 2017-11-05 9:14 AM

One of our Calor Gas bottles is very low on Gas and when turned on you can smell gas inside the Van - I'm assuming it's leak in the pipe and/or regulator but unsure which one to buy?

would appreciate any advice?

many thanks

EDIT: trying to resize pics now - wish it said max size before submit!

Harry,

The 'Smell' when running low on Calor is a phenomena which has been discussed here in the past.

Basically the 'smell' is a chemical added to the gas during bottling. During use this chemical slowly 'falls out' of the gas and settles at the bottom of the cylinder so when you start running low on gas the chemical concentration is higher and hence the gas smells more strongly.

I can tell to within a few minutes when our cylinders are going to run out by the increased smell!

My bet would be that if you change to a full cylinder the smell will go away.

Keith.

PS And whilst your photos might be less than 100 kb in file size they also have to be less than a certain number of pixels wide!

Just to be clear.

Are you saying that when the gas is turned on at the bottle but not lit, you can smell gas or when on and being burnt?

Either way I would do some investigating before buying anything.

Use a weak mixture of washing up liquid and water in a pump atomiser spray and starting at the bottle spray around the joints and pipes. Any escape of gas should result in bubble/bubbles that expand. I say should, because of on one occasion, this didn’t help me find a leak.

Regarding separation of the added smell aroma, wouldn’t the swishing around of the gas in its compressed state, liquid, while the vehicle is being driven ensure a good constant mix? Just asking not disputing.

B-)

lancepar - 2017-11-05 11:31 AM

Regarding separation of the added smell aroma, wouldn’t the swishing around of the gas in its compressed state, liquid, while the vehicle is being driven ensure a good constant mix? Just asking not disputing. B-)

No It's always noticeable when bottles are getting towards the end I have 2 bottles of gas in locker and it's so noticeable that we never replace the empty one until we get the smell knowing its about 3 days before it goes empty

thanks guys for all the replies, interesting about the smell @Keithl, that really does sound very much like what's causing it

we're out again in a few weeks time, think I'll hang on and see if the smell's still there with a full bottle, also, what a great tip with the washing up liquid!

will report back here what I find out

Regarding your photo attachment problem, the error message you’ve received has been around for well over 10 years. There are plenty of on-line references to it, and it’s mentioned in this Wikipedia entry

http://wikifixes.com/en/errors/0x/asp%20error%2080004005/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1JKUqoCo1wIVEJSyCh2xOA4vEAMYASAAEgJ3KPD_BwE

Attaching files to postings seems to be a mite hit-and-miss at present (see following link)

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Attaching-files-to-postings/47869/

but the error message that is produced is not what you got and, when the glitch occurs, it can be worked around.

Oddly - although there is supposedly a 100kb file-size limit - I have just attached a 112kb photo-file to a posting as a test. However, when I increased the photo’s file-size radically (to 298kb) I received the ASP 0104 : 80004005 error message. I’m guessing that the photo you were trying to attach was actually a lot larger than 80kb as, when I’m playing about with the file-size of a photo prior to attaching it, it’s commonplace for the file to appear to have been reduced to be under 100kb, but then go well above this when I save it.

• 2 weeks later...
harryajh - 2017-11-19 5:48 PM

just a quick update guys, been out this weekend and can confirm it's definitely the gas running out - swapped over to a full bottle and no smell, thanks very much!

Brilliant news Harry, and thanks for coming back and letting us know.

It also helps others in the future when they are searching for answers to similar troubles.

Keith.

Archived