Cambelt change

snowbird

I need the Cambelt changed on the van and wondered if anyone can recommend a reliable garage in the South Yorkshire area.I am not after a cut priced job but someone who can be trusted to do it.In the past I had a bad experience with a local Fiat dealer so am not prepared to take it there.

snowbird - 2017-02-11 8:11 PM

I need the Cambelt changed on the van and wondered if anyone can recommend a reliable garage in the South Yorkshire area.I am not after a cut priced job but someone who can be trusted to do it.In the past I had a bad experience with a local Fiat dealer so am not prepared to take it there.

Look for a BT Fleet workshop, they also work for the likes of eON, the Environment Agency, the AA etc.

PJay - 2017-02-17 4:40 PMJust had ours done to-day, along withe MOT and service. They recommend every 25, 000 miles, so the second one for our van! OH would rather be safe than sorry, and would not want it to break whilst travelling to Spain. PJay

25000 miles?  That seems awfully low mileage.....what vehicle is it?

I have a Ducato 2300 on a 59 plate and it has done about 30k. I was advised at the last service that it would be wise to change the cambelt, not so much because of the mileage but the fact that it is now coming up to 8 years old.

The garage that originally gave me this advice said that the water pump would not need replacing but another garage has said that it is wise to do so as they often start to leak after the belt has been changed and if it did, the whole work would need repeating. Both garages quoted about £300 just for the belt, extra if I had the water pump done too

I am confused and this seems a good time to seek some advice please.

Mick Bajcar

I had mine done on the Volvo car. It is supposed to be done at 100000 miles or 10 years but I chickened out and had it done at 75000 and 8 years. The thing was the cambelt change is a package deal with Volvo and involves several belts, tensioners, pulleys etc, not just a simple swop out. Aagin, as others have mentioned I did it for peace of mind as having for example the airconditoning belt breaking just afterwards would eb abummer.

know we all want to save money but my feelinmg is for something like that then get the best possible. A hundrde quid more for peace of mind is no brainer to me.

Archived