Campsites and Aires in France

Ginger Jim

We own a campsite in France, most will be allowed to open from June 2nd in green zones but some in orange zones will have to wait another three weeks. Most of France is green zone.

Swimming pools can open once the health department gives the go ahead next week

Bars and restaurants open on June 2nd also.

Borders within the EU possibly open on June 15th, Spain to stop quarantine to entrants from July 1st.

UK entrants to France are asked to quarantine but not enforced, it's a tit for tat thanks to Boris or Cumming who ever is in charge at No10

I only know of one aire that closed down. All the others I regularly pass were open and some had long term stayers on them.

We have just been off for a couple of nights parked off grid in a car park next to a picnic site. The only downside was that we could see the pub being got ready for opening next week, but couldn't get a drink or meal there this week.

There’s a recent posting about France’s ‘deconfinement’ on the Caravan Chat forum

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Caravans/Caravan-Chat/France-Deconfinement-restaurants-education-menu-travel-/55304/#M649702

and this English-language link provides a useful summary

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/coronavirus-french-look-forward-to-liberty-with-second-stage-of-reopening-1.4265155

On Friday I received an email from Groupe Seasonova saying that their campsites would open on 2 June 2020 (apart from their Alsace site that would open on 12 June) with particular emphasis being placed on their hygiene measures.

https://vacances-seasonova.com/fr/hygiene-et-mesures-de-securite-sanitaire/

Most sites in the Camping-Car Park network are open (a few never closed) and - as can be seen from the map on the following link - many of the open sites are currently full.

https://campingcarpark.com/en/map/

I live in hope of a motorhome holiday in France (maybe also Spain & Portugal) before this year is out but I fear the risk of becoming an elderly (and obese) victimn of the virus will keep us at home until a vaccine has become available. But wouldn't it be nice to have one last opportunity to bring lots of booze back before the transition period ends?

Derek Uzzell - 2020-05-31 9:18 AM

There’s a recent posting about France’s ‘deconfinement’ on the Caravan Chat forum

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Caravans/Caravan-Chat/France-Deconfinement-restaurants-education-menu-travel-/55304/#M649702

and this English-language link provides a useful summary

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/coronavirus-french-look-forward-to-liberty-with-second-stage-of-reopening-1.4265155

On Friday I received an email from Groupe Seasonova saying that their campsites would open on 2 June 2020 (apart from their Alsace site that would open on 12 June) with particular emphasis being placed on their hygiene measures.

https://vacances-seasonova.com/fr/hygiene-et-mesures-de-securite-sanitaire/

Most sites in the Camping-Car Park network are open (a few never closed) and - as can be seen from the map on the following link - many of the open sites are currently full.

https://campingcarpark.com/en/map/

There are still 51 pitches out of 53 available at Moulismes Derek. (lol)

It is another Bank Holiday weekend in France at the moment and with the lock down easing on Tuesday there should be a lot of movement next week. Because of the questions about Spain and Portugal I would expect a lot of French camping-caristes who would normally head south in July and August, to stay in France this year. It is I think going to be pretty busy all summer.

It’s good to see light at the end of the tunnel.

We’ll be using aires ASAP and keeping to the quieter ones well away from other people and carrying more food than normal to minimise shopping while away ( I’m at risk and not been shopping since 20th March )

A vaccine may never be available, although with all the trials going on we can keep our ????

I feel for those whom are canceling holidays this year and rebooking for next year.

I do Airport transfers.

We Motorhomers are lucky even more so than tuggers

They need a site, we need a little space and are self reliant.

I’m sure most of us will find a way to use our Motorhomes this year, with just being extra careful.

It’s good to hear from Mildi in France to have information directly and not through the media.

Our neighbours in Spain have been emailing us with news and found it interesting the way spain dealt with the situation

Take care everyone and hopefully we’ll soon be able to enjoy our favourite pastime.

Den

A lot of the Uk locals don’t want us. If I stay in Uk it’s Devon, north coast for surf, lakes, or Outer Hebrides/Scottish mainland for walking as these are the only Uk areas I enjoy but they are actively discouraging tourists at the moment.

I know many people enjoy other parts of Uk but each to their own.

Peter

We spend so much less in France on sites and mainly aires compared to £26 per night in the uk

Then you have the overcrowding due to everyone staying in the uk.

France is so large, you can loose yourself.

Spain is even cheaper and warmer with great prices for fuel, food and free parking.

On top of that I have 3 return eurotunnel trip to use.

France has lifted it’s 100km travel restriction for green zones although I understand that borders with other EU countries remain closed until the 15th June. So with Aires and campsites open and the risk of catching Sars-Cov-2 probably less there at the moment than in the UK, if we can get over there, an extended break in continental Europe looks increasingly feasible. The one uncertainty is the voluntary 2 week isolation requirement for visitors entering from the UK. Whilst it’s possible that we’ll just be waved through it’s also possible that we will be required to specify the address of where we intend to ‘voluntary isolate’ for two weeks. Hopefully the early travellers will post their experience on the forum. The other uncertainty is the situation in the Calais region. Is it still in the red zone (restricted travel) or has that now gone green as well? The ferry companies seem to expect to be establishing their non-haulage services soon if the increase in emails they're sending me is anything to go by.

Over the last week or so the Charente Department have been erecting speed restriction signs of 90kph on some major roads. The numerals are blanked out at the moment awaiting the announcement that the nation-wide 80kph limit on single lane roads will be amended.

Today I also passed the second 'Vandal Proof' speed camera that has been totally wrecked, the first one was pulled over and uprooted, the replacement burnt out. Given that they cost over €30k and only last a month or so I can't see it being a profitable business. :-D

And interestingly the Charente and Charente Maritime departments are, I believe offering an inducement for tourists... €100 cashback for visiting, provided you stay a night in a hotel, eat a meal in a traditional restaurant, and visit an attraction. Send your receipts in and they send you €100. Of course not of any use if you camp... (or like us have a house there), but interesting approach nevertheless.

Vito - 2020-06-04 8:51 PM

And interestingly the Charente and Charente Maritime departments are, I believe offering an inducement for tourists... €100 cashback for visiting, provided you stay a night in a hotel, eat a meal in a traditional restaurant, and visit an attraction. Send your receipts in and they send you €100. Of course not of any use if you camp... (or like us have a house there), but interesting approach nevertheless.

The Vienne Department came up with a good scheme a few years ago. They gave a small community €200,000 to renovate a popular free aire that attracted at least 20 vehicles a night and kept the restaurant and grocery store nearby busy. The community then turned the aire over to Camping Car Parks and the number of tourists increased dramatically - in the towns either side of it. One of those towns benefiting from 86's extravagance is in 87! Doh!

Meanwhile the newly constructed aire ,the restaurant and grocery store all have a tumbleweed issues.

Den - 2020-05-31 6:20 PM

We spend so much less in France on sites and mainly aires compared to £26 per night in the uk

Then you have the overcrowding due to everyone staying in the uk.

France is so large, you can loose yourself.

Spain is even cheaper and warmer with great prices for fuel, food and free parking.

On top of that I have 3 return eurotunnel trip to use.

Why have you given £26 as the UK cost?

Last year we stayed on many UK sites for much less, including a serviced pitch on a full facility site on the coast in Devon for £12 per night in September. Our cheapest ehu pitch was £9 in early October on a coastal site in North Yorkshire with lots of space, excellent sanitary facilities and opportunity to use the indoor swimming pool free of charge on the adjacent (but completely separate) holiday park. An added bonus was the bus stop at the site entrance from which we were able to travel free of charge.

Admittedly at some times some UK sites cost £26+ but not all French sites are less than that all the time. I'm not sure if things have changed in Spain but when we visited in 2007 we found that sites without schemes such as Camping Cheques were very expensive.

davidmac - 2020-05-31 4:36 PM

Hi, don’t bother with crossing the channel this year, spend your money in the UK, help the people here to get back to a normal life

Regards David

In my opinion that is a commendable idea. Let's hope those who wish to will be able to do just that.

https://ibb.co/album/3YSqd5 We spend a lot of time wandering France Portugal Spain etc in our van , we use Aires and wild camp most if not all of our time and that is great for a cheap tour, but if you are going to factor in Campsites, and the new pay aires that are springing up and being run by a profit making company, the cost of your Channel crossing and the very expensive food prices in France you are not going to save much money compared to a UK camper holiday. We do not realise how cheap food is in the UK you soon do when going round a French Supermarket, fuel is very expensive in France or was this year , take into account the miles you travel in your van to get to Spain etc and then you will look at the economics differently, we stay for several months and of course that works out much cheaper, We can't wait to get back again but I believe things will be much more complicated and expensive, given the current situation and the Brexit uncertainty.

Most campsites have opened in France, we had a lovely week away in the Dordogne last week, luckily we arrived back home before the thunderstorms and now heavy rain.

There are many of the larger campsites only opening from the 19th June and some from the 1st July.

Most of the aires are open but on a lot of them, the toilets and water taps are still turned off but l think that's down to the Maire not getting round to opening things up that quick.

Archived