Campsites in Yorkshire for the Tour de France

Cervantes

Whatever are they thinking!!

Some "pop-up" campsites are charging £250 for 2 nights to watch the Tour de France in Yorkshire this July!

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Information/Campsites_for_Tour_de_France_UK_2014

This is blatant profiteering, and gives a very poor view of the UK to all the visiting French, German, Dutch, etc, etc, motorhomes who are coming over to watch.

Motorhomes from the UK can, and do, go to France every year to watch the tour and stay for free, while the UK rips them off when they come here with no apparent shame!

I hope the tour is a success in Yorkshire, but I wouldn't count on any return business from across the channel!

Not a very like for like view. Where can you stay on a camp site in France "for free"?

I have watched the tour for free but it was from a very enjoyable wild camp at the side of the road. Last time I parked up in a lay-by with three others, overlooked the Seine, a pitch I would easily have paid for.

As business,campsites take on the opportunities and charge what they think the can get and there will be many who will pay. I will agree that some of the charges do appear excessive.

Just like to say, that if you do want to see the TDF, I would book somewhere early.

My son owns a cottage for rent in the Dales, and it was booked for those dates last year. They have had several enquires since, so I guess finding accomadation is going to be difficult

Can't see the fasination my self, the bikes just wizz past, see more on the TV

PJay

sshortcircuit - 2014-01-17 5:52 AM

Do you think the French visitors are going to worry where they park, I doubt it.

I agree absolutely - they will only be doing what they do when they watch the Tour in France but, when the police move them on, what impression is that going to give to them.

The start of the Tour is one of the most prestigious awards in cycling - I only hope Yorkshire comes out of this in a good light.

lennyhb - 2014-01-17 5:25 PM

One of the official sites is charging £195 for 3 nights plus £95 for EHU good old rip off Britain.

C&CC motorhome northern DA are having a meet on the saturdays route, £10/n, we've booked.

regards

Allen

If visitors park where ever they can find a space I doubt they will get moved on, there will be too many of them. Stand some French Italian or German wording in front of the van hiding the standard plate making sure you are OFF the highway and you may be offered free drinks.

as someone who has been following the tour de france on cycle-- motorbike-- car plus tent and now motorhome (7 years) for the last 25years i have never been charged at any time the normal procedure if its a flat stage find some where to park at side of road but not creating a hazard the night before and wait there until race goes through the next day after the broom wagon has passed (last vehicle) you can then move off as now the road will be opened again, normally you move to somewhere to a view point for the next day and so on. if you want to watch a stage in the mountains for instance the TOURMALET (famous mountain) with a motorhome you would have to be on the mountain 3-4 days before stage would arrive because all parking places will be full there will be tens of thousands people on the mountain and thousands of motorhomes all trying to find some were to park as if you obstruct the route if you do even by a mirror or half a wheel you will be moved on and probably have to come of the mountain as there will be no parking places left. 4yrs ago i tried to get on the TOURMALET 4 days before the race was due and could not get on remember these mountain routes are 18--24kms of climbing so that means 24kms of motorhomes parked on every blade of grass i was on that mountain 3yrs ago when it was estimated that a million people was on the mountain. and this happens on every major climb both in the ALPES and the PYRENNESE for all these years i have never paid a PENNY. and when i have used a camp site in the area for grey water etc the prices are just the standard rate even though the camp site may be on route all i can say about RIP OFF YORKSHIRE IS DISGUSTING just remember these campsites and vow never to use them. jt

Exactly!

We were in Malaucene (at the foot of the mountain) this year before we drove up Mont Ventoux (4 days before the race). The aire in Malaucene had suspended the charge and was free, plus they had provided a massive parking area nearby with full facilities for all the motorhomes heading for the mountain - all for free.

Some in Yorkshire now seem to be doing just the opposite!

Good old rip off britain strikes again.

We thought about going up to yorkshire for a few days with a chance to see the tour.

The couple of campsites i contacted wanted over £300 for 2 nights but would drop to £275 if i

booked and pain in full now. I slammed the phone down on the robbing *astards.

We've booked a cottage in the dales & its along the route, although we're going earlier so we miss it, we noticed a lot of cottages were doing discounts if you booked for 2 weeks over the race period,

I haven't seen any price hikes.

Those who book late should expect to pay a premium as all the reasonably priced sites will be booked up

wints - 2014-01-17 5:38 PM

C&CC motorhome northern DA are having a meet on the saturdays route, £10/n, we've booked.

regards

Allen

www.mcs-northernarea.co.uk

See the drop down 'le grand depart'.

July 3 - 8 Otley FC

Allen

Archived