Can I walk on the roof of MH?

Mickt

This has been covered many times.

Posted: 5 May 2013 6:07 AM

Subject: Can I walk on motorhome roof?

Treasured contributor

PROFILE PM

MAIL

I know that my van has got a ladder and it must be there for a reason, (it's an autotrail arapaho) but I wondered if its so I can actually walk on the roof , or more for climbing up halfway and having a scan around ? . It's pretty new to me and I've noticed the previous owner has had some sort of equipment removed and its left what looks like a scouring on the surface so I thought I'd get up and check he hasn't removed it with hammer and chisel thanks all advise gratefully received: p.s I must add I'm no flyweight lol

QUOTE REPLY

user Derek Uzzell

Posted: 5 May 2013 8:16 AM

Subject: RE: Can I walk on motorhome roof?

PROFILE PM

The presence of a rear ladder on your motorhome does not automatically mean its roof is designed to be walked on. A motorhome owner might choose to fit a top-box for extra storage and, for easy access, it would be logical to locate the box near to the rear ladder. A ladder would then be needed to reach the box, but there would be no requirement to climb on to the roof itself.

Some motorhome roofs are deliberately designed to be strong enough to walk on. There will inevitably be a weight maximum (a ballet dancer will place a lot less stress on a roof than a sumo wrestler) and roof-walking may be restricted to a defined area of roof that has been suitably reinforced. If there is no roof-walking-related advice in Auto-Trail's brochure or handbook for your Arapaho, you'd be wise to think that Auto-Trail do not sanction this practice, rather than assume that no advice means it's OK.

It's quite likely that Auto-Trail owners walk on their motorhomes' roofs and will tell you that they do, but that doesn't mean you should also do it (particularly as you admit to being "no flyweight").

The sensible course of action would be to seek advice from Auto-Trail themselves but, if you feel an overpowering urge to clamber on the roof immediately, I suggest that you put something on the roof to protect it (like a piece of carpet) and spread the load by placing, say, a large piece of plywood on top of the carpet. I also suggest you keep as far as possible to the rear of the roof, where there's the possibility it will have been strengthened.

As you are (quite understandably) wary of walking on the roof, if you want to check what the previous owner has done, you can probably do this from a ladder - suitably padded so that it won't cause damage - placed against the side of your motorhome.

You might wish to read this MotorHomeFacts thread

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftoptitle-78787-to-all-motorhome-owners-stress-fractures-in-autotrail-roof.html

Edited by Derek Uzzell 2013-05-05 8:17 AM

QUOTE REPLY

user Pampam

Posted: 5 May 2013 9:11 AM

Subject: RE: Can I walk on motorhome roof?

Treasured contributor

PROFILE PM

MAIL

Thanks for prompt reply ,I think I'll give it a miss Re. Crawling on roof on Sunday morning I'm booking it in in near future to dealers (brownhills ) for small problem with drop down tv lovely picture but n

Local illegals who wash my Eldiss hoik a little lad onto the roof to wash it. First time I took it there he was hoisted up up there before I realised that was their plan, since then I tell 'em not to do it and leave the roof. Not happy to risk the possible damage

Mickt - 2019-01-11 3:56 PM

How safe is it to walk on the roof of MH , ? how strong is the grp

Can only speak for Autotrail coachbuilts,, Yes , but not where the front pod joins the main roof and not near the side walls.

This advice was from my 2012 Savannah's owners handbook. With 80 kg limit.

any Van.....check the handbook first.

not allowed on my present V lines fibreglass roof.

We have an Adria Coral - Yes you can walk on the roof, we have a ladder and a type of roof rack, bars that go around the edges etc, fairly sure you could fit a box if you wanted, the good book advises staying well away from the fibre glass luton top - you clearly cannot walk on that and I wouldn't even go near the join.

Been up there but beyond all that,I find it extraordinarily dangerous, it's high, - aprox 3mts, I'm not a massive fan of heights, it's slippery when it's been washed, white, almost dazzling in sunshine, and it would be very easy to slip and fall off one of the sides - the results of that would not be good, possibly fatal. - Take care.

We have 3 skylights in the van, - it requires a bit of contortion however with a long handled washer, - designed for window cleaning, I can reach the whole area by stretching out, even gently cleaning the solar panel- considerably safer, and a fair bit less stressful.

Mickt - 2019-01-11 3:56 PM

How safe is it to walk on the roof of MH , ? how strong is the grp

Short question - short answer. It depends on how much you weigh, and how strong the van roof is. For the first, consult bathroom scales, for the second, consult motorhome manual or manufacturer. Then you'll have a factual answer, rather than other people's opinions! :-D

Archived