Can we keep Motorhoming

John Allen

Not sure what the Caravan & Motorhome Club are planning after today’s requests from the government for Pubs, Cafes and restaurants to close. I think between us all we could maybe suggest a few things they and other camp sites could do to make motorhoming safe to continue for both us and their staff. I have made a start but obviously you clever guys will either say it is a non starter or add all the things I haven’t thought of.

1. Close sites in or adjacent to towns

2. Possibly close sites that do not have access to nearby footpaths

3. Do not allow group gatherings

4. Only allow MHs and Caravans with self contained facilities.

5. Close toilet blocks

6. Take payment in advance so there is no contact with site staff on arrival.

7. Arrival on site and pitch choice could be arranged from a distance.

8. Have a hook on the outside of the reception office that they can place any keys or fobs on if needed. (Arrivee asked to remain in vehicle whilst this is done)

9. Place large notices on water and waste points asking people to not queue up to use them.

10. Close information huts/rooms, laundries, washing up facilities etc

Cheers and good luck out there

John

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say stay at home as we are asked to only do essential travel going out in motorhome doesn't come in this category. Any travel could get us in a lock down like other countries and end up confined to our homes

We where all asked to avoid pubs and clubs no on took any notice now there shut camp sites could be next

CMC sites have already closed bars & restaurants (not that many of their sites have them.).

But that’s pathetic - they should be closing them, other than possibly for long-termers already on site. Anything else is inevitably encouraging people to make what is by any definition an unnecessary journey.

John Allen - 2020-03-20 9:31 PM

Not sure what the Caravan & Motorhome Club are planning after today’s requests from the government for Pubs, Cafes and restaurants to close. I think between us all we could maybe suggest a few things they and other camp sites could do to make motorhoming safe to continue for both us and their staff. I have made a start but obviously you clever guys will either say it is a non starter or add all the things I haven’t thought of.

5. Close toilet blocks

8. Have a hook on the outside of the reception office that they can place any keys or fobs on if needed. (Arrivee asked to remain in vehicle whilst this is done)

9. Place large notices on water and waste points asking people to not queue up to use them.

John

The government has not requested these places to close they have ordered them to close!

There is absolutely no justifyable reason why campsites should stay open now. No ifs buts or maybes - stay at home and stop spreading the virus!

laimeduck - 2020-03-20 10:58 PM

The government has not requested these places to close they have ordered them to close!

There is absolutely no justifyable reason why campsites should stay open now. No ifs buts or maybes - stay at home and stop spreading the virus!

YES

Just spent a lot of money to get our's ready for this year, MOT, 2 new tyres, new sump pan, brakes checked, insurance due at end of month, VED at end of month. So going to ask insurance co if they will do a type of lay up cover till the time comes to re-insure, I will SORN at month end. We will continue when the time is right. Staying at home and hoping for the best.

Stay safe and be well everyone.

Steve.

John52 - 2020-03-21 3:06 AM

No ifs buts or maybes - stay at home

for how long ?

How Ever long it takes it won't be long before we are in a lock down like France & Spain. Some people don't seem to realise how bad this is going to get

Agree, the sooner the better.

AND although it's not for this forum...... Bring in official control of the supermarkets.

As some of the greedy, selfish British public cannot be trusted to shop responsibly, the next government move should be to bring in proper security at the supermarkets. Boris is meeting the supermarket chiefs today so hopefully this will happen.

Rant over with apologies!

StuartO - 2020-03-21 7:20 AM

For how long ?

Whatever it takes!

So if this virus persists for evermore like the common cold or flu we should stay indoors for evermore *-)

Matrix Meanderer - 2020-03-21 12:10 PM

Agree, the sooner the better.

AND although it's not for this forum...... Bring in official control of the supermarkets.

As some of the greedy, selfish British public cannot be trusted to shop responsibly, the next government move should be to bring in proper security at the supermarkets. Boris is meeting the supermarket chiefs today so hopefully this will happen.

Rant over with apologies!

What do you mean by proper security?

Nothing to do with security as far as I can see.

How do you differentiate between the good neighbour shopping for others who are self isolating, and the shopper only shopping for themself who has been to 4 other stores that day?

How do you know what they have stockpiled at home?

John Allen - 2020-03-20 9:31 PM

5. Close toilet blocks

John

Would be sensible but last night I hadn't found anything on the CMHC (rules club) site to say they were closing. Also be interested to have a link as to where "they have ordered them to close!" as just listened to Boris's statement last night and he didn't mention camp sites but I may have missed it. For some people who live in a small house or flat and can drive a relatively short distance without exiting their van (Say 1 hour) and stay inn isolation in their van or immediately next to it then it could be a mental life saver. It could also help the UK economy keep ticking over and it may also be a lot safer for the elderly or compromised who may have children and grandchildren living with them. Stay at home is lot more complicated for some people and maybe a judgement call has to be made sometimes on broad brush "Stay at home" statements.

At least my post has stirred up a debate that will help to educate us all through hopefully calm, sensible discussion (where are you Brian?) rather than points scoring on a "I know better than you basis"

Cheers

John

John Allen - 2020-03-21 1:32 PM

At least my post has stirred up a debate that will help to educate us all through hopefully calm, sensible discussion

Cheers

I don't see what sensible discussion will do, everything has been said and the rules are laid out, keep away, stay at home, and avoid close contact. Quite simple, please don't stretch things out any more and I for one don't need educating, its a simple virus that will affect everyone in some form.

It should be noted that humans are surplus on this planet, the virus contingent own it and we are their lodgers.

John52 - 2020-03-21 12:47 PM

StuartO - 2020-03-21 7:20 AM

For how long ?

Whatever it takes!

So if this virus persists for evermore like the common cold or flu we should stay indoors for evermore *-)

Once treatment or vaccination becomes possible the end game will start. Meantime we slow the spread of the virus down as much as we can.

hello everyone, just to add my twopenarth, we have spent the winter in Spain (3 months) now being a responsible person we are 2 days from our 14 days self isolation period and we have had no symptoms, however during this time we have spoken to the 5 grandchildren through the window glass, had our groceries delivered to the door and left,

but i put it to you people, how do you know all this ? and if we had just thought sod it and tipped up at a campsite because you can self isolate there can't you? were self contained? are you starting to get the picture? as the famous saying goes....you fancy your chances? do you feel lucky? well do you?

stay at home it really is not that difficult

I leave you to ponder a while

regards

Jonathan

We have just got back home after 6 days touring over 3 sites not that far from home. It was not a happy carefree break I can assure you. We were continually thinking about social distancing, not touching surfaces and hand washing. When filling up I used my sleeve to open the door to the shop and used contactless but I forgot about the bloody pump handle!! It is almost impossible to avoid touching surfaces at some point. It made the whole trip a waste of time as you can’t fully relax, which is what motorhoming is meant to be all about.

If you have any kind of a social conscience you should stay at home. What happens if you get ill a few hundred miles from home? We all have to do our bit by staying away from other people as much as possible. You could probably make all sorts of arguments to justify being out and about in your motorhome but to me it just looks bad. Everyone is in lockdown and you are wandering about wherever you wish - really?

witzend - 2020-03-21 9:43 AM

for how long ?

How Ever long it takes it won't be long before we are in a lock down like France & Spain. Some people don't seem to realise how bad this is going to get

Very bad for Spain. 324 dead in the last 24 hours bringing their total to 1,326. :-(

https://tinyurl.com/t4s3gdy

Archived