Car vacuum cleaners

ALAN G

The 12volt plug in cleaner that we have been using for the past 3 or 4 years has failed completely. I need a new one. They only last about 3 years as they get used daily when we are away. Normally I buy the cheapest from Argos but this year the only one they can offer is too poor to even think about using (the one tool that comes with it won't stay in place and there is no decent brush).

Previously I've tried a rechargeable B & D but that is now permanently on charge at home.

There are a fair number on the Internet with reviews varying from "Excellent" to "Rubbish". So, what do our members use to keep their carpets clean?

I have a Black & Decker PD1200AV 12v Auto Flexi Car Dustbuster in the van and it works quite well as a 12v cleaner. The best feature is the flexible hose which is much easier to use than the usual 12v car cleaners. It is not very powerful but then none of them are but it is good enough.

When we are away I will occasionally take the loose carpets out and brush them down.

When I am back home again I take them out and give them a really good going over with a stiff brush then a final Hoover once re-fitted.

I have a Black and Decker one. Works Ok for while we are away. Always use the home Dyson when we get back to give a better clean. 12v cleaners are Ok for just a light clean, but you can get just as good clean with a dustpan and brush and a bit of elbow grease!

PJay

While away from home, I use a Black & Decker Pivot Auto (12V plug in). It came with with a hose and brush attachment which are rarely or never used. It does however function better in tight corners, than the alternative dust pan and brush which are also carried.

When at home I use a vintage? Hoover Portapower 800. This machine has good suction, if the bag is cleaned properly. It was a Which? "Best Buy" many years ago, and is used for all sorts of post DIY clean up operations.

Alan

Over 15 years we have had a B&D and Hoover with no rotating brush which we found ineffective and a Red Devil, with a revolving brush which was good but we couldn't get spares, Now have a four year old Dyson DC34 hand held which has a rotating brush and it is superb. It lives in the van full time and the crevice tool is good for the nooks and crannies and back of cupboards and under heaters. Although 12V it does need a 240V supply for the charger but does charge quickly.

Quite expensive at £165 when we bought. Later and more expensive are the V6 and V8 models. If you want to buy need to look out in the sales for a company with a proper sale.

Adiebt - 2018-01-21 12:48 PM

Dyson handheld with 12V charger and spare battery , job done ;-)

We have a Dyson handheld which we use in the van and at home as a supplementary cleaner for minor tasks. Had it for at least 3 years and still going strong.

Interested to know what Abiedt uses as a 12v charger and how he inserts a spare battery pack ?

Robbo - 2018-01-21 8:53 PM

We have a Dyson handheld which we use in the van and at home as a supplementary cleaner for minor tasks. Had it for at least 3 years and still going strong.

Interested to know what Abiedt uses as a 12v charger and how he inserts a spare battery pack ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/dyson-dc-16-car-charger/273033789977?hash=item3f92150219:g:35cAAOSwtBdaY1pK

The DC16 handheld battery just slides in and out , the newer type require the removal of a couple of small screws to change the battery . Hope that helps .

Adiebt - 2018-01-21 11:15 PM

Robbo - 2018-01-21 8:53 PM

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/dyson-dc-16-car-charger/273033789977?hash=item3f92150219:g:35cAAOSwtBdaY1pK

The DC16 handheld battery just slides in and out , the newer type require the removal of a couple of small screws to change the battery . Hope that helps .

Many thanks Abiedt. Mine is actually a DC35 and the battery slides out vertically after pressing a button at the back, marked with an arrow. Didn't know that until you mentioned it and checking a utube video.

Amazon sell a 12v charger which just plugs into the normal charging inlet on the battery pack. Spare battery packs are also available.

Thanks for the heads-up :-D

Hi

I use a Black and Decker PD1820

http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/en-gb/products/home-products/handheld-vacuums/18v-lithiumion-dustbuster-flexi-hand-vac/pd1820l

Advantage is that these are 18V, and create 25 air watts vs the 12.5 air watts created by the 12V plugin PD1200 It came from Amazon

On battery they run for about 15 mins, but does not have a 12V charger - only mains so would need an inverter to charge up.

I modded mine, removing the lithium ion battery, and replacing with an 18V laptop power supply (fits where battery used to go), this gives an unlimited run-time direct off 12V socket in van, and means recharging is unnecessary. It works well as a vacuum cleaner too - pulling about 10A @ 12V == around 120W.

Nigel

Archived